Author Topic: [SUGGESTION][PLAYER] Continual automatic replay playback  (Read 3327 times)

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
[SUGGESTION][PLAYER] Continual automatic replay playback
« on: February 15, 2021, 09:52:58 PM »
Add a button to automatically load a folder of replays for a rank and play them automatically in order continually. For instance, I could select the 'Fun' rank in the level select, click a button to automatically load repalys, select a folder (I could put all my 'Fun' replays from the 'Auto' folder into a seprate folder for example) and it would continually play my replays for all levels in 'Fun'.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION][PLAYER] Continual automatic replay playback
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 12:38:12 AM »
+1 for this if it's possible.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 09:53:59 PM »
Just going to insert my +1 here before it gets closed.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 11:14:12 PM »
Just going to insert my +1 here before it gets closed.

This actually shouldn't be all that difficult to implement, it has valid use cases, and it predates the cutoff so is not going to be auto-rejected on those grounds. I'm not specifically accepting it at this stage, but it's definitely a candidate for making the cut.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 02:04:44 AM »
I'm going to +1 this as well.
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 05:28:35 PM »
The one thing that comes to mind here, at least one person (probably more) has expressed that the reason they like this idea is that they believe they could leave NeoLemmix unattended to record a whole bunch of solutions for Youtube.

Let me be clear that this would not be suitable for a completely unattended run, because replays don't contain any information on gameplay speed (normal vs FF vs pause-and-framestep), nor more importantly, any record of where the user scrolls the screen. Therefore, any video recorded this way without intervention would leave the view fixed on the entrance to every level, unless the person recording was manually moving it around still.

Or in other words: It'd be a tool to reduce some of the work with recording lots of solutions together, but it wouldn't be a 100% automation.

With this in mind, do the people asking for this feature still believe it'd be useful to them?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 06:01:55 PM »
Honestly, the main reason I'd like it is because if I release a pack of levels (which I did) and someone gives me a set of replays of their solves, I'd like to be able to just watch them all without having to do several clicks between every level.
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 10:15:34 PM »
That's an excellent use case as well, and one for which the limitations would not be a major problem.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 03:35:40 AM »
I think it would be a useful feature for TAS playback - NL has all the features it needs to effectively use the replay system to record a TAS, but you still have to play each replay manually.

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 09:34:27 PM »
The one thing that comes to mind here, at least one person (probably more) has expressed that the reason they like this idea is that they believe they could leave NeoLemmix unattended to record a whole bunch of solutions for Youtube.

Let me be clear that this would not be suitable for a completely unattended run, because replays don't contain any information on gameplay speed (normal vs FF vs pause-and-framestep), nor more importantly, any record of where the user scrolls the screen. Therefore, any video recorded this way without intervention would leave the view fixed on the entrance to every level, unless the person recording was manually moving it around still.

Or in other words: It'd be a tool to reduce some of the work with recording lots of solutions together, but it wouldn't be a 100% automation.

With this in mind, do the people asking for this feature still believe it'd be useful to them?

Ah, that is a problem as this could be a reason someone uses it. I understand if not, but could it be possible, in any way, to make it so the replay could jump the camera to where the last skill was placed or to include where the mouse scrolls in a replay or something like that. Or if someone wants to use NeoLemmix to watch replays aswell. If this was added I don't think it should include normal/fast forward or pause and framestep. It's okay if not though.

And I still think it would be useful even if not.