Author Topic: Another old fan comes along  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Ste Woz Ere

• Lemmings 2 fan
    • View Profile
Another old fan comes along
« on: January 17, 2021, 08:50:45 PM »
Yep, it's another one.

First started in 1991/92 (not sure which) on my cousin's Amiga, followed by my friend's Amiga (both with the budget version) during which time I completed the original and Oh No, while worshipping the 2-player game. (me and my friend were VERY competitive on it, sadly my cousin wasn't as good)
Back home I got the Speccy version, followed by the DOS version (when I got my first PC) and Lemmings 2...where I got stuck on the final Sports level and didn't try again until 7 years later. (when I finished it and was rewarded with a 14th tune)
I did get Winlemm and the Christmas pack at some point (not sure when...2001 maybe) and likewise with 3D, although I never got round to playing the latter.

Fast-forward to 2020 and a nostalgia binge on the first PC games I ever played led me to want Lemmings again...which led to a quandary - how does one bring back the days of friend/cousin Amiga? I didn't want to replay the PC versions, as they are vastly inferior (removing all of the liquid and extra detail, nerfing 2 Mayhem levels, removing 4 Tame levels, and having much worse music). I also wanted to play the budget version because that's what I started on, and I didn't like the special levels for being far too easy while not fitting the game at all. (I was surprised to encounter them in DOS, and even more surprised to find that they were the original levels and the other ones were put in to make a 1-disk Amiga version)

I tried a few options and failed, then discovered this forum and it's modern ports. After trying both NeoLemmix and SuperLemmini, I went for SL because it seemed to be faithful to the Amiga, while also having the basic player-aid from Win95 just in case (NL looks impressive too, but aims at custom rather than original). And when I discovered the Amiga level packs for SL, it was trivial to sort out - and while I was shocked to see instant bombers (and moreso the debate*) I still had a great time with it. Seeing screenshots like this made my day, along with hearing the original music. Not remembering a lot of the levels also helped (it was nearly 20 years ago) along with trying for 100% wherever I could. (I do miss the secret exits in the floor though)

*personally I think the old bombers should be available on the original levels (as an option), while custom levels can have anything.

After this I grabbed an SVN version of Dosbox with savestates, and used it for Lemmings 2 while playing the Amiga music manually from the outside (never really heard it).  And I've recently done the same thing with Lemmings 3, which I really enjoyed despite the weird feel to it. (and the Amiga music here is superb)

Might move onto 3D at some point, and maybe try some custom packs too, but my original objective has been achieved - thanks guys :)
Tribes of Steel - a whole new Lemmings 2 game! (120-level pack)
Currently a WIP - all tribes are complete, testing and feedback is welcome!

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
Re: Another old fan comes along
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 09:33:34 PM »
Welcome to the Forums Ste Woz Ere.

Yes for the original/ohno/holiday/Xmas I think Superlemmini should have the option for timed bombers as you and some others were surprised SL only had instant ones. In regular Lemmini there
were timed bombers, but when Tsyu made SL he had switched to instant ones. Although he did post he was perhaps going to have the next SL update where there would be an easy mode(untimed bombers) and a normal mode(Timed bombers). Of course Tsyu hasn't been online in a very long time, so who knows if another update will happen.

But in NL, timed bombers will never happen, as NL is mostly for custom content.
yes and old-timers like you still prefer the original/ohno etc levels as that's what we all grew up with.

But again Welcome to the Forums.

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 12:24:03 PM »
Welcome! :)
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 06:02:52 PM »
Welcome!

I definitely recommend giving Lemmings 3D a go. It's not for everyone - especially with the very bad camera controls - and the level design doesn't often take full advantage of 3D (there are some levels that use it beautifully, but it's definitely under-utilized for sure), but it is overall a very fun game with some interesting levels in there. And if you want some better levels that really show the engine off, there's my custom pack. ;)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 06:14:18 AM »
After trying both NeoLemmix and SuperLemmini, I went for SL because it seemed to be faithful to the Amiga, while also having the basic player-aid from Win95 just in case (NL looks impressive too, but aims at custom rather than original)

In due course I'll be releasing an updated version of Amiga Lemmings for NeoLemmix (don't download it just yet! ;P). It's an attempt at recreating the Amiga experience within NL, and although the player assists do impact the nature of the game in that platform, it can be a really interesting way to rediscover the game, since it greatly increases the potential for finding lots of new solutions, many of which make light of levels which previously seemed very difficult!

That said, the traditionalist in me will always want access to a version like the one seen in SuperLemmini, which is closer to the execution-focused style of play. I have a feeling that once timed bombers get reintroduced on that platform as an option, as well as a few other tweaks, we'll finally have 2 custom-built platforms which, between them, have all bases covered in terms of enjoying Lemmings on a modern PC.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 06:23:52 AM by WillLem »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 06:31:35 AM »
In due course I'll be releasing an updated version of Amiga Lemmings for NeoLemmix (don't download it just yet! ;P). It's an attempt at recreating the Amiga experience within NL, and although the player assists do impact the nature of the game in that platform, it can be a really interesting way to rediscover the game, since it greatly increases the potential for finding lots of new solutions, many of which make light of levels which previously seemed very difficult!

Ah, you apparently forgot that there's now an option to disable skill shadows. And you're the one who suggested it! :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 01:51:27 AM »
Ah, you apparently forgot that there's now an option to disable skill shadows. And you're the one who suggested it! :P

Say whaaat? I didn't even mention Skill Shadows! :crylaugh: NeoLemmix has a veritable swiss army knife of player-assists; in this case, I'm referring to all of them ;P

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 05:35:22 AM »
I was referring more to how there's now an option to disable some player assist tools in NL, skill shadows in particular, when in earlier versions there wasn't :P Can't do the same with directional select, although Lemmini does have an option to disable them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0