Author Topic: [SUG][PLAYER] Toggle panel view to show how many skills you've used so far  (Read 8106 times)

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
I'm wondering if it might be possible to make it so that if you right-click on a skill in the panel, it shows how many you've used so far. Maybe the number could be shown in a different colour to help differentiate it.

Left or right-clicking the skill afterwards could return it to default view.

See Reply #2 for current version of this suggestion
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 09:32:46 PM by namida »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] Right-click skill to show how many you've used so far
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 06:08:03 AM »
Right-click already has another function (specifically, assigning to the highlit lemming), but adding some means to check this could be a good idea.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online WillLem

• View Profile
[SUG][PLAYER] Toggle panel view to show how many skills you've used so far
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 06:23:54 AM »
Ah yes, of course. I never use the highlight lemming feature, so I totally forgot about that! :P

Maybe a dialog (similar to the replay edit) that lets you know how many of each skill you've used so far?

Better yet, a hotkey that toggles the panel view itself, something like this:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 08:09:58 PM by WillLem »

Online WillLem

• View Profile
Just giving this a bump, because it would come in super handy for Save-em-Up, SYCLW and general play.

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
Prehaps if you hold shift and hover the mouse cursor over the desired tile in the skill panel, it can change the number to the skills remaing. (Click on the image to view the concept art in full size) (I'm also not sure why the builder's bricks turned green in the concept art, not important though).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:52:42 PM by Silken Healer »

Online WillLem

• View Profile
I have to say, I think this one's a no-brainer tbh. It removes the need to mentally track skill usage during a challenge or contest, allowing the player to focus completely on the solution.

To be clear, my suggestion is now the toggleable skill panel in Reply #2. I like Silken's idea as well, but a fully-toggleable panel seems to be neater as it shows everything at once.

EDIT: Having said that, I can see the usefulness of, say, knowing how many Builders you've used and how many Platformers remain.

I've added a poll since there haven't been a lot of comments, and I find it's more usual for people to comment when not-in-favour ;P
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 07:40:10 AM by WillLem »

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
Prehaps we could add both my previous idea and also add: a 'skills used mode' button on the skill panel (like clear physics mode or fast forward) which changes the skills remaining to skills used. To be clear like WillLem, my idea is to have both my previous post in this topic, and the bold text in this one.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 05:09:50 PM by Silken Healer »

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
Prehaps we could add both my previous idea and also add: a 'skills used mode' button on the skill panel (like clear physics mode or fast forward) which changes the skills remaining to skills used. To be clear like WillLem, my idea is to have both my previous post in this topic, and the bold text in this one.

Also if this idea were to be implemented, holding shift whilst hovering over the desired skills tile whilst skills used mode is on, it could have the opposite effect and turn the skills used to the skills remaining
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 05:11:33 PM by Silken Healer »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Prehaps we could add both my previous idea and also add: a 'skills used mode' button on the skill panel (like clear physics mode or fast forward) which changes the skills remaining to skills used.

While I'm absolutely in support of a hotkey for "skills used mode", it's far too niche a feature to justify a skill panel slot.

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
Prehaps we could add both my previous idea and also add: a 'skills used mode' button on the skill panel (like clear physics mode or fast forward) which changes the skills remaining to skills used.

While I'm absolutely in support of a hotkey for "skills used mode", it's far too niche a feature to justify a skill panel slot.

Idk, I think it would look nice. I understand where you coming from though

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
From the rules topic:

4. Please do not create polls in your topics. I will add polls as I see necessary, that ask questions that get the kind of answers I'm interested in finding out.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online WillLem

• View Profile
From the rules topic:

4. Please do not create polls in your topics. I will add polls as I see necessary, that ask questions that get the kind of answers I'm interested in finding out.

Just to clarify - does this only apply to suggestion topics, or should I not be creating polls at all?? :lem-shocked:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
It's a rule of the NeoLemmix Bugs / Suggestions board. So - you should not be creating polls anywhere on the NL Bugs / Suggestions boards, unless of course I specifically give it the okay (which I usually won't, unless it's eg. a suggestion being discussed on Discord and I say something like "create a topic and add so-and-so as a poll"). Elsewhere on the forums is fine, as the bugs / sugs board rules don't apply outside those boards. ;)
My Lemmings projects

Online WillLem

• View Profile
It's a rule of the NeoLemmix Bugs / Suggestions board. So - you should not be creating polls anywhere on the NL Bugs / Suggestions boards, unless of course I specifically give it the okay (which I usually won't, unless it's eg. a suggestion being discussed on Discord and I say something like "create a topic and add so-and-so as a poll"). Elsewhere on the forums is fine, as the bugs / sugs board rules don't apply outside those boards. ;)

So I can create a Poll asking, for example, "is namida a silly sausage?", as long as it isn't on the Bugs or Suggestions board? :lemcat:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Yes, as long as it is on a suitable board (in that case, most likely General Discussion, as we don't have a dedicated shitposting board).
My Lemmings projects