Would you want this feature?

Yes, I'd like to have it
11 (73.3%)
No, I'd prefer to keep things as-is
0 (0%)
I don't mind either way
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: [SUG][PLAYER] Display the number of buttons in a level  (Read 1464 times)

Offline ∫tan x dx

• View Profile
[SUG][PLAYER] Display the number of buttons in a level
« on: April 23, 2021, 06:06:58 PM »
As the title suggests, the number of buttons in a given level should be displayed. If a level does not feature any buttons, then this information is simply omitted.

I propose three places where this information would be located:
  • Level select screen - In addition to lemming counts, skill counts and other requirements, an icon for buttons would also be present with the appropriate number next to it.
  • Level preview screen - Similar to above, the extra button requirement would also be displayed.
  • Ingame info bar - The small part of the UI dedicated to lemming counts and the timer could also be used to display a button count. I propose it would act as a kind of fraction that updates when a button is pressed, i.e. "0/3", "1/3", etc.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] Display the number of buttons in a level
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 07:12:09 PM »
I'm open to this if there's enough interest. Added a poll.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 09:49:29 PM »
I think this is a very good idea, but maybe the best way to display it would be above buttons in clear physics mode?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 10:00:06 PM »
I think this is a very good idea, but maybe the best way to display it would be above buttons in clear physics mode?

With 6 votes for, 1 neutral and 0 against, I'd say this is a clear "should happen". So yeah, let's start talking about the "how" - tying it into CPM sounds like a good idea, my gut feeling though is that it should be displayed near locked exits rather than near the buttons themself?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 10:02:29 PM »
That was my first thought, but then I remembered that exits can already have numbers on them, if they accept a limited number of lemmings.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 08:46:07 PM »
  • Ingame info bar - The small part of the UI dedicated to lemming counts and the timer could also be used to display a button count. I propose it would act as a kind of fraction that updates when a button is pressed, i.e. "0/3", "1/3", etc.

+1 for this. Brilliant idea :thumbsup:

Preview screen text would also be nice, but not essential if it's displayed in the info bar and/or CPM.