Author Topic: NeoLemmix versions of original levels for challenges  (Read 23959 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix versions of original levels for challenges
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2021, 02:33:47 AM »
Another couple of issues have come up regarding the PSP levels, and again, I'm hoping that someone with access to the PSP version can test these for me.

* On Level 30 "The stairs are not floored", where the pillar stands in front of the steel (as in WillLem's screenshot here), is it possible to bomb a hole to get onto the pillar and continue digging down?

* On Level 32 "Gather round and break away", is it possible to build and bash directly from the starting platform to the exit, or does the flamethrower prevent this?

* On Level 33 "Cagey business", how does the little platform in front of the shredder look on the original level?

* On Level 36 "Notch what you think it is", if a bomber is set to explode just after starting to fall, does this make the fall safe?

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2021, 06:12:47 AM »
Hi Proxima, Yes I tested these 4 levels for you and posted the results on Youtube. I think I remember testing PSP levels for you before in the past.

Results:

Level 30 (The Stairs are not floored)
here I posted 2 videos, placing a blocker at 2 different spots before bombing him then with another lemming tried to dig in those spots. but it's not possible to dig at either. Pay attention to the
chinking sound when I try to use a digger. So NOT possible

video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbalgqTnQp4
video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8AJ_IZF5h8

Level 32 (Gather round and break away)

ok it looks like it's possible to build over 1st gap to spot below flamethrower and then bash the barrier without lemmings dying to the flamethrower. Again here is the video. Thus this level is
backroutable in the PSP version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL_4h4DQVLE

and here is the entire backroute of level 32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x21tCVUm3Nc

Level 33 (Cagey Business)
ok here Is me solving the level, so you can see the shredder that I built over to save the other lemmings. (Also it appears in the PSP version, there is no little Platform), I just built over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH23xqDNTYk

Level 36 (Notch what you think it is)

Ok it seems the fall is safe for other lemmings when the bomber explodes just after falling. again look at the video. This took a few attempts due to timed bombers in the PSP version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iCaUP404_g

Entire solution video using the bomber to make fall safe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY8sZDuPfes

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:26:59 AM by ericderkovits »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2021, 02:34:36 PM »
Thank you, that's really helpful :thumbsup: (And yes, you did help out last time I had a query of this type :P )

In view of the above, I've decided to amend Levels 30 and 33. On Level 30, I have moved the pillar down so it's entirely below the steel and you can't break through at that point. On Level 33, I have removed the small platform (a rather ugly hack and a strong signpost towards the solution). Since it requires 2 builders instead of 1 to build over the shredder in NL, I have simply added an extra builder. (There is already precedent for tweaking the skillset slightly if a level as it stands is impossible in NL; "Out, away from the tune" does this.)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 03:50:13 PM by Proxima »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2021, 01:35:08 AM »
With a lot of help from WillLem, the original Lemmings pack is finally done!

Changes from namida's version:

* Many levels have been re-cropped so that more of the original decorative terrain remains. In particular, the full decorative terrain is once again present on "Call in the bomb squad" and "Have a nice day".
* Tricky 4 / Taxing 7 and Mayhem 1 have had moss on steel re-added, but only in the middle of the large steel walls; the edges, and especially the top edges, have been kept clear so the moss doesn't affect gameplay.
* Fun 6 is once again "A task for blockers and bombers", with its original skillset.
* All levels use the Amiga blue background (now available in the "special" style, so you don't need to install any custom styles).
* Special graphics levels use their unique trapdoors and exits (also in the "special" style).

ONML is nearly finished and will be posted soon.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 08:15:37 PM by Proxima »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2021, 09:26:30 PM »
Oh No! More Lemmings is finished!

Changes from namida's version:

* A few levels have been re-cropped -- there were not nearly as many here as in original Lemmings where I was unhappy with namida's choices.
* WillLem has resized the logo so that it doesn't look stretched-out. (He has also done this for the original Lemmings logo, which is included in the zip in the above post.)
* Havoc 20 "Look Before You Leap" has the screen start moved to the left trapdoor.
* As with original Lemmings, all levels use the Amiga blue background.
* Havoc 12 "It's all a matter of timing" is unchanged -- it has only three trapdoors, so they release in ABCABC order. However, a version of the level with the middle trapdoor duplicated, to simulate the original game's ABCB order, will be included in Extra Levels. (Now that NL speedrunning has started to take off, I should note that this decision means the ABCABC version is the one that is included in the ONML speedrun.)
* The music tracks play in the Amiga order, not the order that NL numbers them (which is based on the DOS version).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 08:26:43 PM by Proxima »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2021, 06:23:22 AM »
Though a bit of a gimmick, the screen not being centred on the left trapdoor in "Look before you leap" is part of the level's design, given the title.  Granted, you should have learnt by now to not just dive straight in since a level in Crazy did something similar.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2021, 09:46:44 PM »
Had a look around the packs - look good so far, and many of them are so much easier in NeoLemmix!

Because of the way you've shrunk "PoP YoR ToP!!!", the left water bubble pit looks disjointed because one of the water objects was reduced in width.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2021, 10:43:48 PM »
Good point. Here's a fixed version of the level.

Sorry there hasn't been much progress on this pack for a while -- life has been really stressful lately and I am also involved in a DROD project that's taking up a lot of my free time.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2021, 11:30:44 PM »
Still not perfect as it now overhangs the sloped wall by the exit. Best solution is to probably move the water back a bit and put some blue balls under the slope to fill up the void that will appear.  i gather the Redux version isn't suitable for speedrunning.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2021, 01:06:58 AM »
I also just realised that, on the Redux version, some of the trapdoors spawn lemmings walking left, and the order of the rightmost two have been swapped - something to watch out for.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2021, 01:19:17 AM »
That's correct, for Redux we decided that on some levels (including this one) it was appropriate to flip the trapdoors, whereas for the official conversions all trapdoors will remain right-facing.

I don't believe the order has been changed. I looked at my local copies of both levels, and they both have the order 4-2-3-1 (left to right). Which version has the wrong order on your copy?

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2021, 11:37:58 AM »
Still not perfect as it now overhangs the sloped wall by the exit. Best solution is to probably move the water back a bit and put some blue balls under the slope to fill up the void that will appear.

Done. If Proxima approves, this can be added to the ONML pack.