7 (53.8%)
No, but a single quick sound upon reaching minimum / 99 is okay
0 (0%)
No, no sounds at all for RR change
2 (15.4%)
Don't care
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: [SUG][PLAYER] Sound For Release Rate Increase/Decrease  (Read 8725 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[SUG][PLAYER] Sound For Release Rate Increase/Decrease
« on: March 24, 2020, 09:39:58 AM »
Is there a way to get that gradually-increasing/decreasing-in-pitch sound for the Release Rate?

The Amiga version features it, not sure about DOS...

It's also featured in SuperLemmini, but oddly I can't find the sound file anywhere in SL's root.lzp directory.

EDIT The sound is in fact identical to the "skill assign" sound, and is simply pitched up/down for each RR increment.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 01:11:58 AM by WillLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I know what's meant. I've seen this suggestion, but haven't yet thought about it much either way - I'll get around to it eventually, it's the kind of feature that's a candidate for 12.10 rather than 12.9 though.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] 'Bloopedy Boopedy' Sound For Release Rate Increase/Decrease
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 08:08:14 AM »
I personally would want my RR buttons to be silent with out any Bloopedy Boopedy sounds.:8():

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 10:30:38 AM »
I never noticed that was missing, but WillLem is right. :D I'm undecided about it.

On the one hand, it would be a way to increase similarity to original Lemmings again.
On the other hand, it seems like NeoLemmix is moving more and more away from original Lemmings even in its aesthetics now. And I agree with IchoTolo that this sound can be annoying. Because most likely, there wouldn't be a way to only turn off the release-rate sound while keeping all other sounds active?

Of course, you could hit "s" on your keyboard before changing the release rate to deactivate the sound, and then hit "s" again to turn it back on. But that's just additional inconvenience.

Also, what should happen when using the right-click shortcut to immediately set the release rate to either 99 or the starting minimum? Just a quick "blrrrrp"? :D
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 11:06:37 AM »
On the one hand, it would be a way to increase similarity to original Lemmings again.

That's not why I want this, it's more because all other panels & mouse clicks give audio feedback, and it would be good for the RR to be the same. Plus, I just like audio feedback from buttons, it makes them feel more tactile.

And I agree with IchoTolo that this sound can be annoying. Because most likely, there wouldn't be a way to only turn off the release-rate sound while keeping all other sounds active?

Sure there is. Let's say that the sound file is called "bloop". You'd simply delete "bloop" from the NL/sounds directory. Or, if this causes NL to crash, replace "bloop" with and audio file containing 1 second of silence. Done.

Also, what should happen when using the right-click shortcut to immediately set the release rate to either 99 or the starting minimum? Just a quick "blrrrrp"? :D

SuperLemmini simply sounds the highest "dink" sound. So, if it goes "bloopedy bloopedy bloopedy dink!" when increasing gradually to 99, then it would go "dink!" when jumping straight to 99.

NeoLemmix should definitely have RR sound, just sayin!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:12:06 AM by WillLem »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 12:17:47 PM »
Sure there is. Let's say that the sound file is called "bloop". You'd simply delete "bloop" from the NL/sounds directory. Or, if this causes NL to crash, replace "bloop" with and audio file containing 1 second of silence. Done.

Why should I have to do extra work to have my silence ???  On top of that not every player is comfortable with messing around with the files.

The Lemmini Bloopedy Boopedy was always a major annoyance for me and I really would not appreciate a comeback. If a sound would be added I think a better option needs be found that doesn't sound annoying.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 02:19:59 PM »
Thanks to WillLem for the info about the "dink!" sound when the maximum release rate is reached. :thumbsup: I'd be fine with that. Setting the release rate to 99 is the main thing I use it for. Slightly turning it up is only required on a few levels that have release-rate fiddling as part of their intended solution.

If IchoTolot is against this change, the only workaround that would please both sides would indeed be to have the option of enabling or disabling every sound separately... except for object-specific sounds, because that would be a huge hastle with all the graphic sets.

But we'd probably need a few more people to chime in... or even better have a poll about it? ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 03:11:04 PM »
Thanks to WillLem for the info about the "dink!" sound when the maximum release rate is reached. :thumbsup: I'd be fine with that
the only workaround that would please both sides would indeed be to have the option of enabling or disabling every sound separately

You're welcome Strato :D Just wondering though, why would there have to be an option for every sound, and not just the RR?

Quote from: IchoTolot
Why should I have to do extra work to have my silence ???  On top of that not every player is comfortable with messing around with the files.

I can understand what you're saying about not every user wanting to mess with the sound files, but it really is a simple case of swapping out the file for 1 second of silence. I'd be prepared to provide that myself for any users who are against the idea of an RR sound.

In fact, here's one! (see attached) This file can be used to replace any sound in the game that you'd rather was silent. Simply rename it to whatever the original sound file is, and then replace it in NeoLemmix>Sounds. It takes less than 30 seconds to do and then everybody's happy!

Of course, all of this is moot if I'm really the only person that wants an RR sound :P

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 03:44:39 PM »
I can understand what you're saying about not every user wanting to mess with the sound files, but it really is a simple case of swapping out the file for 1 second of silence. I'd be prepared to provide that myself for any users who are against the idea of an RR sound.

In fact, here's one! (see attached) This file can be used to replace any sound in the game that you'd rather was silent. Simply rename it to whatever the original sound file is, and then replace it in NeoLemmix>Sounds. It takes less than 30 seconds to do and then everybody's happy!

Of course, all of this is moot if I'm really the only person that wants an RR sound

You're welcome Strato :D Just wondering though, why would there have to be an option for every sound, and not just the RR?

I think you don't understand the issues here. :8():

1.) 99% of users won't make a forum account or search on how to replace those files. Most likely they won't even recognize this is possible. No, they just silently keep on being annoyed so an existing swap file provided by you does not solve that. That's why I am also still sceptical about failure/success jingles, but there they are limited to the end of the level and not there constantly during playing so it isn't really a big deal.

2.) If we have an option in the menu for every sound it will look like a wall of checkboxes nobody can see through anymore. We want to limit ourselves there in order to avoid too much clutter.

3.) It's just a bad idea to have a possibly annoying sound play multiple times whenever a user has to fiddle a bit with the RR. Yes, even if this does not happen on every level I don't want to hear an entire circus play every time I want to try something out involving the RR! :devil: And yes I do that quite a bit! This was already getting on my nerves back in Lemmini! :devil:

I am not totally against 1 dink at 99 RR - in fact I just see it at rather pointless, but I am 100% against that whole Bloopedy Boopedy circus! Even more when it should also be standard! :devil:

The Amiga version features it, not sure about DOS...

DOS does not feature this.

I have another idea though: We take that silent sound and make it the soundfile for the buttons then anyone missing the Bloopedy Boopedy circus can go ahead and get it while everyone else can still enjoy the silence. :8():   

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 10:52:16 PM »
That's why I am also still sceptical about failure/success jingles, but there they are limited to the end of the level and not there constantly during playing so it isn't really a big deal.

More importantly, they can be disabled, and in fact are now even disabled by default. The player needs to actively turn them on if he or she wants them. ;)

I have another idea though: We take that silent sound and make it the soundfile for the buttons then anyone missing the Bloopedy Boopedy circus can go ahead and get it while everyone else can still enjoy the silence.

That sounds as genius as it is simple! :thumbsup:

I probably should have come up with that idea myself; just today I revisited an online experiment of mine where visual and auditory stimuli are presented in an alternating manner. And because the website I used to host it only has comparatively limited clickable options compared to the free python programming I normally use, I am technically presenting both visual and auditory information each time. But either the visual file is empty, or the sound file is silence, so that only one type of stimulus is presented. Same logic.
My packs so far:

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 05:33:21 AM »
I have another idea though: We take that silent sound and make it the soundfile for the buttons then anyone missing the Bloopedy Boopedy circus can go ahead and get it while everyone else can still enjoy the silence. :8():

Brilliant! This is a much better idea, given that you're probably correct about a lot of users not wanting to/knowing how to change the sound files themselves :thumbsup:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] Sound For Release Rate Increase/Decrease
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 01:22:14 AM »
I've changed just about all the sounds to a custom sound because I've complained many times about the default sounds but nobody listened to me :devil:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 09:18:08 AM »
I've changed just about all the sounds to a custom sound because I've complained many times about the default sounds but nobody listened to me :devil:

Could you share your custom sounds please? I'd be interested to hear how they differ.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2023, 04:11:10 PM »
Just wondering since it's been a while, is this one still potentially happening?

Also, a related idea - would it be possible for the skill select button sounds to also increase/decrease in pitch when scrolling left and right through the skills?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2023, 07:37:37 PM »
Also, a related idea - would it be possible for the skill select button sounds to also increase/decrease in pitch when scrolling left and right through the skills?

This one is not going to happen. While the underlying audio library probably has support for such a feature, the code NL uses to manage / play sounds does not, and that'd be a major thing to add at this point. I could make it quieter / louder, or pan from left to right, within what existing code supports, but that's about it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)