Poll

What's your thoughts on the new arc (green in reply #26, also shown in reply #27)?

It's good
I could accept it but would prefer something else
I don't like it at all

Author Topic: [DISC][PLAYER] Spearer and Grenader (projectile constructive / destructive)  (Read 10027 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [DISC][PLAYER] Spearer and Grenader (projectile constructive / destructive)
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2020, 02:50:04 AM »
One thing I don't quite understand: why do the projectile skills have a shrugger state? ???

So that the lemming pauses on the spot for a bit, giving a chance to assign another skill (in particular another projectile) before they move on.

Maybe this actually isn't necessary at all, or it's even desirable to not allow this. This is a further possible solution.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2020, 03:47:08 AM »
A bug has come up where, if projectiles exist when a state is loaded, they jump to the wrong position. This includes when a state is loaded as part of backwards framestepping.

(I honestly expected the Slider to be the buggy one, but the projectiles are the only ones with bugs so far...)

EDIT: Fixed in commit b2c30c6.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 05:17:32 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2020, 05:40:54 AM »
I've implemented the proposed fix (thrower has terrain check on frames after projectile leaves hand and becomes faller if terrain is removed) in commit e8f8065. I did experiment with removing the shrugger, and while it's still perfectly possible to chain throws (thanks to skill queueing), it just feels awkward how quickly they revert to walker. Extending this would introduce an edge case where the thrower can only be assigned certain skills once it's past a certain frame in its animation, and this feels even worse. Keeping the shrugger feels nicest, ultimately.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2020, 06:35:13 AM »
Keeping the shrugger feels nicest, ultimately.

It's definitely good that these skills can be chained from one lem standing on the spot, that's a good move. Maybe a new state could be invented though, where instead of shrugging they "check" to see if the projectile has landed where they wanted it to or something...

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2020, 05:55:57 PM »
Keeping the shrugger feels nicest, ultimately.

It's definitely good that these skills can be chained from one lem standing on the spot, that's a good move. Maybe a new state could be invented though, where instead of shrugging they "check" to see if the projectile has landed where they wanted it to or something...

If this is done purely for cosmetic reasons, I don't see the point. On the other hand, if this is done as an "introduce a new state similar to Shrugger, but with terrain checks, for Throwers to use", that could be more viable? However, I'll leave it as it currently stands for now, and see what feedback comes in after the public exp build and decide from there.
My Lemmings projects