Poll

Which option?

Drill digger
1 (20%)
Throw-to-one-side digger
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: [DISC.][PLAYER] Preference for a directional digger sprite?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[DISC.][PLAYER] Preference for a directional digger sprite?
« on: January 13, 2020, 10:45:09 PM »
So - one thing I want to have in place for V12.8.0, is a Digger sprite that clearly indicates the lemming's direction.

Only two serious contender proposals have emerged for the digger, so this poll is to figure out which one is preferred.

Option 1 - is we change the digger to use a drill-like device, rather than his hands, and continue facing straight ahead while on top of it. WillLem has made a mockup of a high-res sprite for this, which I have attached to this post ("Digger w_drill.png"). This is not a full animation and cannot currently be used in-game, even with the high-res experimental build.

Option 2 - is that the digger only throws destruction particles behind himself. I've made a sprite that does this, although I think this is limited to "it shows the general concept" and would need some work to actually look better in-game. The attached low-res sprite ("digger.png") can actually be used in-game to test this (replace styles/default/lemmings/digger.png), either with stable NL or the high-res experimental.

Options that I am ruling out right here and now:
- Leave things as is. Digging is an action where the facing direction can be important to know (as opposed to eg. splatting, where it doesn't matter because the lemming will never revert to another state where the direction could matter), so something needs to change here.
- Option 1 for high-res, Option 2 for low-res (or vice versa). While of course there would be differences, eg. if we go with the drill option, the low-res version would not have the clothes / hard-hat, I feel the two should be the same overall action.
- Use something external, like displaying an arrow. No other action does this, it instead uses the lemming's appearance to convey this. Let's not make the digger an exception.

Beyond those, I'm at least open to hearing other ideas, if there are any.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [DISC.][PLAYER] Preference for a directional digger sprite?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 11:18:37 PM »
Here's a VERY basic draft of the drill sprite being animated. Several changes will need to be made to this (e.g. the width of the drill is currently 1 pixel wider than the digger mask coz I miscounted :forehead:), but it just gives an overall idea of what it could look like.

Suggestions welcome. This gets my vote for now.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: [DISC.][PLAYER] Preference for a directional digger sprite?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 09:03:38 AM »
May I suggest using the drill sprite for the previously-discussed "Upward Digger" instead, some time in the future? ;)

I don't think the aesthetics of the original 8 skills should change more than necessary, hence I'd prefer the "throw to one side" option for the Digger itself.

But upward digging is something we're hopefully going to have at some point, and Driller was indeed one of the names proposed for that skill. :)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels