Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Classical Lemmings  (Read 3898 times)

Offline LB999

• I'm PS999
    • View Profile
[NeoLemmix] Classical Lemmings
« on: December 23, 2018, 04:42:48 PM »

Arriving at the classic terrains of Lemmings in NeoLemmix in its new format
Those levels are my progress and now they are in Demo. ;)

This format is the new NeoLemmix and so it will not be the old.

Download them now
Levels Pack: http://www.mediafire.com/file/yl4bcv1l4i87gmz/Classical+Lemmings+Levels.zip
Music Pack: http://www.mediafire.com/file/g2a91h5a1ek5g3p/Classical+Lemmings+Musics.zip

Latest Versions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:thumbsup: And happy new year 2019! :thumbsup:

Credits:
MandelSoft for the music of Lemmings
namida & Nepster for creating the NeoLemmix Engine

Yippie!
Coming... "Crystal Underground", "Doomed Fire".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:23:24 AM by LB999 »

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Classical Lemmings
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »
I've done them all.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 08:26:51 PM »
Desert Pillars 8 completed in 2:20 8-)

I'll post more detailed feedback when I've gone through all the levels, but for now I'll just say, mostly the Under Earth set is a fun set of easy, open-ended levels, but on Level 3, putting a hidden trap right in front of the exit is a bad idea, it wastes the player's time for no reason.

Offline LB999

• I'm PS999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 11:30:41 PM »
Well, it explains why to do levels but be careful with the traps if I had any idea why I would save the Lemmings and thank you for having replays for the solution.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 04:18:56 PM by LB999 »

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 04:05:01 PM »
Hi LB999, welcome to the forums!

I like the basic approach of making separate ranks for the different terrain styles, akin to Lemmings 2: The Tribes. It does get a bit repetitive to see the same tileset over and over again for an entire rank - but that's just me, and was also my main pet peeve with Lemmings 2: The Tribes. In contrast to Lemmings 2, however, where also the same music would repeat for all the tribe levels, the classical themes mix things up quite nicely! I like how you went with orchestra versions of pieces that were actually part of original Lemmings, like the Can-Can or the Pachelbel Canon. Hall of the Mountain King is a new addition, but I've used it repeatedly myself on levels using namida's Mineshaft graphic set.

My solutions are attached, it took about one hour to get through everything.

Some general remarks (click to show/hide)

More feedback later. For the time being: Merry Christmas! :)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 08:43:09 PM »
The trap in front of the exit thing was rude, but I can accept trolls like that every now and then. I've created plenty of troll levels myself.
Then it started happening repeatedly and all trust was lost. :evil: Having to use clear physics at the start of every level to search for hidden nonsense gets old.

Music balance was a little off... There was one track that was so quiet I couldn't tell if it was actually playing at first. Still, using custom music is a big plus for me. :laugh:

Time limits in every level is frowned upon by some. Sure, it does make the game have a bit more of a classic feel, but is it worth it to potentially block a valid solution because of an arbitrary timer? That said, these timers didn't cause me any issues.

Decoration is very pretty. The levels look quite good. :thumbsup:

Some of the solutions that I found seem easier than intended. The high number of allowed skills ends up creating some routes that are simpler than you might think. For instance, in Desert Pillar 9, it seems like you are intended to have the stray lemming rescue the group in the corner. However, it's fairly easy to have that group free themselves and then the stray lemming just has to be rescued separately, which nulls the whole feeling of the level.
Desert Pillar 2 has a release rate that is so slow that the level can just be brute forced without having to do much of anything.
Desert Pillar 4 gives 75 skills but you can easily complete the level with just 4.
Having early levels be open ended like this is fine, but these (and a few others) seem like backroutes to me.

There was one level that used an object that I didn't have (Desert Pillar 6, I don't have the blue fire object).

Overall, a good start despite some issues!

Offline LB999

• I'm PS999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 05:37:52 AM »
Demo version 0.3
A Happy New Year came a new rating 3 of the levels "Roman Marble" with some difficulty levels and especially use the new skill "Shimmier" in this sixth rating level. (https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4070.msg73740#msg73740)
But in this experimental version of NeoLemix there will be in the link: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4079.0

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 08:22:35 AM »
ok, here is my Roman Marble rank replays(only 10 levels in the rank). I found these levels rather easy. And for the 6th level I didn't even use the shimmier.