Author Topic: [BUG] EDITOR-- typing in terrain selection box  (Read 3990 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
[BUG] EDITOR-- typing in terrain selection box
« on: October 28, 2018, 05:43:30 PM »
you should not be allowed to type into this selection box ---the dialoguge box where you select the terrain style at the bottom.

As far as I can see typing in here serves no purpose but I often accidentally do it then the following happens;
-it selects nothing then an error pops up and if you click no the editor closes. :| Several times now I've accidentally closed the editor this way (not to mention the escape button also accidentally closing the editor all the time) and it's irritating the heck out of me.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG] EDITOR-- typing in terrain selection box
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 09:31:15 PM »
I propose instead of disallowing typing, correct the crashes. Use it as kind of a "search" feature, but keep the currently-loaded tileset unless another valid one is selected / typed.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 09:34:49 PM »
I propose instead of disallowing typing, correct the crashes. Use it as kind of a "search" feature, but keep the currently-loaded tileset unless another valid one is selected / typed.

That is an excellent idea, which can help users with managing the ever growing tileset list. :thumbsup:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:38:25 PM »
If I've understood correctly, though, you'd have to know and enter the exact correct name of a tileset. For a search feature to be of use, it should find the tileset when you remember part of the name, e.g. "brick" should definitely be enough to get ONML Brick; "tree" should find LP2 Tree and the new variant; and so on.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 09:44:01 PM »
If I've understood correctly, though, you'd have to know and enter the exact correct name of a tileset. For a search feature to be of use, it should find the tileset when you remember part of the name, e.g. "brick" should definitely be enough to get ONML Brick; "tree" should find LP2 Tree and the new variant; and so on.

Many dropdown boxes that allow typing have a sort of autocomplete feature. That could at least help with this issue. Maybe "brick" won't match "RedBrick", but it would match "Brick (OhNo)" - and that could still help, without (I'd imagine) taking too much coding effort.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)