Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings World Tour  (Read 12739 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
[NeoLemmix] Lemmings World Tour
« on: November 18, 2017, 09:29:15 PM »

I know - multitasking is bad :) . Humans aren't particularly good at it. But I keep getting ideas for both gimmick- and non-gimmick levels, for levels with and without fencers, for levels with and without graphic set-mixing. This tendency of mine to try out all possible combinations is probably one of the main reason why I'm usually against culling anything, because it will always lead to sub-optimal compromises in level design due to having to switch between several platforms. So I work with what I have.

For these "regular" levels, I wanted to do something with an overarching theme. The reason I felt Pit Lems was a little "soulless", despite being mechanically more challenging than my first offering, was that it lacked precisely that: A general topic connecting all the individual levels. So I want to keep the puzzliness of Pit Lems, combine it with the allusions and humour of Paralems, as well as with the scenery-type level building style which I tried to go for with "The Death Titan" or "Face the Hydra", and which Arty has taken to perfection :) .

While the idea for this pack actually came to me when the introduction of jumpers and shimmiers was announced, I know now that they will be introduced successively (first shimmier, then jumper, possibly with a couple months in between). So I thought of creating this pack for Lix, especially now that it has music, but too many of the levels I had already designed by then were relying on the fencer, which Lix doesn't have.

Depending on how quickly this thing develops, I may create just an additional rank for Lix, making this a (possibly first of its kind? :D ) cross-platform pack. However, since the development for this pack will probably take much longer than Paralems or Pit Lems - the reasons for which I'm going to get to in a minute - perhaps the shimmier and jumper will indeed be ready for use by then. In that case, I'll make a version for both NeoLemmix 10.13 and the new formats-version, which will be identical except for the unique mechanical features each of them has to offer:

The levels from the 10.13 featuring radiation, anti-splat pads or slowfreeze (because I keep getting ideas for these as well ;) ) will be replaced specifically with levels which have to include either the shimmier or jumper (or limited-number exits, which are the third possible new feature). I don't want to provide any exclusive bonus stuff for either version except for levels which can only be created in that specific version. So ideally, it will be like playing original Lemmings on Mac vs. Windows, with either "Going their separate ways" or "All the 6s".

But what is this pack going to be about, you ask? ;)

Rock you like a hurricane

Indeed: Where Colorful Arty's upcoming back will be based on different artistic eras, this one is going to be music-based.
And also geography-based, I guess :D : The idea of a Lemmings musical ensemble touring around the world. If possible, every level should be named after a famous song, or at least clearly allude to one, and also as many famous locations as possible should be covered. Ideally, a level should do both in one :) . Which means there are at least two auto-includes from my preceding two packs:

Diggas in Paris

Walking in Lemphis

You see the idea isn't new: I have built song-based levels in the past. However, most of the remaining ones are not really based on such popular songs. So it's questionable whether I should include them just because they "are songs, too". If I were to include them all, I'd put them into a separate rank called "Evergreens", like Flopsy did with the MegSEBytes levels in SEB Lems. Then again, the two examples mentioned above are that famous - not as levels, but with regard to both the song and the place they refer to - that I think at least these should be part of the main pack.

But now, on to the new stuff:

Lemmings World Tour is supposed to return to the classic 30 levels per rank-structure, with five ranks, like in Paralems:
Amateur, Professional, Diva, Rockstar, and Legend.
These names aren't final, though. Other combinations I could think of are:
Overture, Aria, Symphony, Opera, and Finale
Warmup, Rehearsal, Gig, Concert, and World Tour

Additionally, there will be a bonus rank in which I try to imitate signature level building styles of other forum members :D . This rank will either be called "Encore", or, if we stick to the "Amateur-Rockstar-Legend" rank names, a more suitable name might be "Groupie" ;) . So it's sort of like me trying to "cover your songs". The titles of these levels will probably stray from the "must be named after a song" format, though.

On to the ranks!

AMATEUR
You are just learning to play the instrument called "Lemmings". So take your time, practice slowly, and remember that

It's a long way to the top
...if you wanna rock 'n roll! ;)

Timber (It's going down!)

As you can see, I'm looking for creative ways to do introductory levels again ;) . For Pit Lems, it was "all destructive skills", "all creative skills", "all athletic skills" and so on. Now it's "all upwards-moving skills", "all downwards-moving skills", "all horizontally-moving skills", "all diagonally-moving skills" etc. :D

PROFESSIONAL
Hold on, this term doesn't mean you're a master of your instrument yet - only that you have decided to do this for a living. :) You're ready to live on the road, going from place to place, being spat out onto foreign ground by a hatch again and again, level after level, rather than staying in your comfortable little home known as the exit.

Pompeii

DIVA
People who make it this far are probably more likely to think quite highly of their skills. Rightfully so, perhaps? You'll have to find out.

My Lems will go on

ROCKSTAR
When these Lemmings go out to perform, the crowd goes crazy. Which means that ocassionally, that crowd might be pretty hard to control ;) .

Another brick in the wall

And this one is sadly quite fitting to be presented to you today :( . R.I.P., Angus!

Highway to Hell

LEGEND
Only the greatest of the greatest become truly immortal. And only the most iconic songs can be deserving of appearing in this rank.

Purple Rain

ENCORE
I've come to know that every good pack seems to have its brownnoser levels :P . These levels will be my tribute to you guys, the people who have been playing my packs, doing LPs of them, and finding loads and loads of backroutes ^^. So it's only fair that this rank will require lots of "research" on my part, because I'll have to identify signature level building styles for each of the active content creators.
While many of you might be known for certain tricks they keep demanding from the player, some of you are even more famous for the type of level they absolutely hate :D . So of course, I can't let that opportunity slip.

Icho chambers

That's a hard level that is!

Ah, yeah, just out of curiosity, for the Nepster-style level... what's the maximum width a level can have in NeoLemmix? :D

The Music
...will be hand-made! :) Now, of course it would be nice to have each original song playing in the background for each level, and you're free to do that (pretty easy when the title gives it away, after all ;) ). I will also write the artist in the "author" line for each level - although these bands and singers won't be safe from stupid Lemming puns, just like their song titles.
However, since I can't use the original tracks, and don't want to bore you with the standard Amiga tracks either, I've decided to go for the middle path and record real-instrument versions of the existing lemmings music. Probably not all of them, some are pretty hard to transfer to actual instruments (like "How much is that Doggie?"), but I can replace these with some of the ONML songs.

Graphic sets
You already see the instruments tileset in one of the example levels shown above. The main issue with this one is the high resolution required to get accurate depictions. So these levels are usually either oversized, or you only see parts of the instruments. (The exit is the sound hole of the acoustic guitar, by the way. ;) )
I'm also working on an Indian / Western graphic set; currently however, I've mainly just recoloured existing pieces in brown or orange ^^, added in a totem pole and a couple of bird silhouettes. We'll see how far this goes.

What's to do now?
- Collecting level titles!
:D
With the tastes in music diversifying more and more on a daily basis nowadays, there are only few songs of which I can reliably guess that almost everyone will know them. The more famous, the higher up in the ranks a title should be. This is top-down level design: Take a title, and then come up with something depicting it in some way, while also having the right kind of difficulty.
And of course, any somewhat famous song referring to a somewhat famous place in the world should be in here. Aside from those shown above, I already have on my list:
- Hollywood Hills (Sunrise Avenue)
- If you're going to San Francisco (Scott McKenzie)
- Y. Lem C.A. (Village People)
- Barcelona (Freddie Mercury)
- Lemmingrad (Billy Joel)
- Samba de Janeiro (Bellini)
- The Irish Rover (traditional)
- London Bridge (hey, fitting Lemmings music for that one! ;) )
- Sur le pont d'Avignon (traditional)
- Lempire State of Mind (Jay Z feat. Alicia Keys) :D
- Hiroshima (Wishful Thinking) - you see how I kinda do need radiation in this pack, don't you? ;)

In case I do a cross-platform thing with additional levels for Lix, these might include:
- Taking orders from Van Halen (guess which skill you'll have to use here ;) )
- The Time Warp (can you guess it here as well? :) )
- Beat it! (probably also obvious)

- Telling me which of my two simultaneous projects - "Lemmicks", i.e. the pack with gimmicks, or this one - I should focus on first. :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:49:28 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings World Tour
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 01:20:13 PM »
Here's a quick update on how things are going. The "city" levels are certainly the biggest challenge as far as creating the terrain is concerned; however, I think I'm getting better at "painting" with level tiles, so I wanted to show you some of them. Arty is obviously much better at this than I am, so any tipps for improvement are appreciated! :) (As long as they don't ruin my intended solution... :P )

Vienna

Budapest

Streets of London

Sorry to the British users, no flag here, the Union Jack is pretty hard to recreate ;) .
I did the Star-Spangled Banner for a Paralems level, but in the end it made up about a quarter of the screen - at least with the correct number of stars and stripes.

Moskau, Moskau

Berlin

Barcelona

The Irish Rover

Some sails on the "27 masts" would be nice, if I knew how... :/ And this level certainly wouldn't work in New Formats, because I need all those fake hatches for my "seven million barrels of porter" ^^.

Samba de Janeiro

And of course, I also added the flag to

Diggas in Paris

As you can see, there's some heavy tileset mixing going on with all of these levels, so I am most likely just going to jam all graphic sets in my "styles" folder into the level pack file. That will blow it up in size by a huge margin, but all my preceding packs were too big to be regular attachments already, so I'm just going to use Dropbox for the link, as always.

Some further country-related levels without any specific shape:

Smoke on the Water
(since the story takes place on the "Lake Geneva shoreline")

Walk like an Egyptian

Dragostea din tei

Malle ist nur einmal im Jahr

Further place-related song levels still on my list are:
- Shipping up to Boston
- Lempire State of Mind
- Rome
- Sur le pont d'Avignon
- Viva Colonia
- Allein in Amsterdam
- Land of Green
- If you're going to San Francisco
- Ganglem Style
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:18:22 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 12:07:37 AM »
Oh my... these levels look amazing :thumbsup: I especially liked how you used the Lix ball-shaped terrain in "Moskau, Moskau"

Also really like the theme of this pack. Look forward to seeing some more previews :)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 08:21:58 AM »
Thanks a lot, Nessy! :)

It just came to my mind that I should probably exchange the exit on "Streets of London" for the exit from the Highland tileset that resembles a British phone cell.

The Amateur rank is currently the most finished one, since it's somehow easier for me to create more restricted, "tutorial-type" levels than huge, complex ones that are often open-ended.

Generally speaking though, a lot of levels have a smaller skillset this time, there are a lot of one-of-everything levels, or something close to that :) .
My packs so far:

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 12:36:22 AM »
These levels look really awesome Strato. This may be a pack I'll have to LP when it comes out. :thumbsup:
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 05:48:51 PM »
Thanks, Arty! That means a lot to me, coming from the "level painter in chief" ;) .

I guess it's no surprise that your levels were a huge inspiration for this :) !
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 03:40:41 PM »
So... I believe I just created my hardest level to date. Basically, I just combined a lot of stuff that's already difficult by itself, and threw it together into one level :) .

Breaking the law

While I certainly could have made it look more like a prison, the drastic shortage of destructive skills should make the prison break difficult enough to make up for that :D .

It is not intended to be the last level of the pack, though, so I hope I can still do better - or worse, depending on your standpoint ;) - than this.

Additionally, I've attached two more of the mechanically challenging levels, to show you the other side of Lemmings World Tour, which is obviously supposed to be more than just pretty landscapes :) .

We will rock you

Block around the clock

Block around the clock is part of an "instructive" series where I'm trying to put all the tricks one can do with one specific skill into a single level. They are quite challenging, but also teach you something at the same time, so I'm not sure whether they should rather go in a lower rank with a pre-level text or into the higher ranks without any introducing words.

Others include:

I wanna rock!

Buildy Jean

Making your mined up

Yeah... if you have better song title suggestions for these two, go ahead! ;) At least one of them was fairly obvious:

Sex bomb

Some further "artistic ones":

A spacelem came travelling

Who let the dogs out?

Everybody's heard about the bird

Tulpen aus Amsterdam

Sur le pont d'Avignon

I was happy to find out that the broken bridge I saw when I visited Avignon in 2012 actually was that bridge the song is about :D . Because broken bridges obviously make for better levels than already intact ones, like in the Dutch level.

Rome

And a bit of local patriotism on my part :D :

Viva Colonia!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 12:23:27 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 09:38:25 PM »
I'm picking up the pace now! The first two ranks are completed, and the remaining three only have about 10 levels each to go - some more, some less.

Brick house

Don't stop believin'

I tried to represent as many signature elements from the lyrics in this one as possible - a small town on the left, a city on the right, the "midnight trains", the street lights... ;) I don't have an actual solution in mind yet, but it's probably only going to feature two lemmings - the "small town girl" and the "city boy" :D .

Ace of spades

This is one of those heavy songs where, as I mentioned, the crowd will be difficult to control ;) . You may have to create a lemming mosh pit... I mean, digger pit.

Summer of '69

...which actually took place in Portugal, according to Bryan Adams himself, hence the flag. ;)

Y. Lem C. A.

Puff, the Magic Dragon

Crazy Train

Inspired by Arty, of course, and then taken to new extremes ;) . The solution on this one isn't finalised yet, though.

Three more places we'll be going to:

Munich

Banditi di Praga

If you're going to San Francisco
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:55:37 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 02:38:51 AM »
These are looking pretty awesome. The Lemming-shaped terrain in Y.Lem.C.A is excellent. :D

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 09:04:44 AM »
Very cool! Unfortunately I don't know a lot of songs, so almost all the references are lost on me.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 12:48:26 PM »
These are looking pretty awesome. The Lemming-shaped terrain in Y.Lem.C.A is excellent. :D

Thanks, I just noticed after designing the Lemming that, due to the way he's holding his arms, he also still looks a bit like an "M" :D .

Very cool! Unfortunately I don't know a lot of songs, so almost all the references are lost on me.

That's why I'm always putting the band name in the "author" line, so that all these songs can be found easily! ;)
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 04:19:35 PM »
A quick update with somewhat major news: There's going to be an additional rank!

To be honest, I didn't really want to add this one. I still think "It's a long way to the top" is the perfect opener for a pack with this theme, and the opening music for a Lemmings pack has to be the Can-Can if it's supposed to feel like Lemmings.

But already the second level, which is thematically tied to "It's a long way to the top", namely "Timber (It's going down!)", requires some tricks, like miners tanking on steel to turn around etc.; two levels later, miners have to be used to create a pit to trap the lemmings for crowd control, etc.

All these are moves which may be well-known to seasoned Lemmings players, but new players don't stand a chance with such an approach.

Which is why I finally decided to add in another lower rank, similarly to the "Newbie" rank in Arty's Sublems.

It wasn't even that easy to come up with a music-related term for something even lower than "Amateur" (the original first rank), but in the end, I settled for:

Noisemaker :D

So far, it only has 20 levels, in contrast to the "proper" ranks of the main pack, which have 30 levels each.

I also have just ONML music playing throughout the entire Noisemaker rank, and also predominantly those graphic sets are used.

Ideally, it should feel like playing a bit of Oh no! More Lemmings before starting with the actual pack, which should feel just like regular Lemmings.

"Noisemaker" is not going to be an easy rank per se; the first level already is pretty much a replica of "Postcard to Lemmingland". It's just that the skill set is very restricted, so usually you'll be bound to discover the solution pretty quickly. Also, I've made use of pre-level texts liberally here.

The goal is not the standard procedure of teaching skills, but certain standard tricks you can do with these skills as early as possible. Things like "dig + build" to turn around, mining or bashing into steel to turn around, bouncing miners and builders with blockers, creating builder walls, making lemmings jump over 6 pixel-heights, etc.

Here is an example level from the Noisemaker rank with still somewhat artistic qualities :D :

Octopus's garden

PS: No, that octopus is not friendly towards lemmings ;) .

Another place we are going to visit later on in the pack:

YerushaLem shel zahav

Technically, "Yerushalayim shel zahav" would be correct, but I can't let such a blatant opportunity for a Lemmings pun slip ;) .

Hollywood Hills

Here's another one; I felt a bit like a little girl playing with her barbie dolls for creating this, but I just had to combine that old "disjoint unions" concept with Arty's painting approach and make a nice little house, with all the standard rooms, for my Lemmings :D :

Sweet Home Alabama

Finally, I spiced up the logo a little ;) . Thanks to namida / Nessy for providing me with the original size Lemmings logo; the one I was using before had to be stretched to fill the entire width of the screen.

The Noisemaker, Amateur, Professional, and Diva ranks are all completed.

Rockstar is only missing six levels, Legend about thirteen.

Plus, I'm going to have to create some more Groupie levels. So far, I have only created levels in the style of (or as hated by ;) ) Flopsy, IchoTolot, Nepster, nin10doadict, Raymanni, Proxima, and Nessy.
Time to do a little more "research" into your packs ;) !
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:17:19 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 01:52:16 AM »
(Sees Strato's screenshots)

(Looks at own ArtLems levels)

(Throws them in the trash in disgrace)

Just kidding. These levels look amazing though! I cannot wait for the pack to be released! :thumbsup:
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 12:28:03 AM »
Oh, I didn't notice your post until now - strange that I wasn't notified by my settings, but whatever :) .

(Sees Strato's screenshots)

(Looks at own ArtLems levels)

(Throws them in the trash in disgrace)

Haha, I can hardly imagine they're that bad ;) ! I just guess you've set the bar for yourself a lot higher, trying to imitate certain eras of art, rather than just painting "anything" in level form, like a train or a ship.

Just kidding. These levels look amazing though!

Thanks again! ;) Though I just learned there's a limit of what's technically possible.

Here's how to crash NeoLemmix :D :

All the world's a stage

Unfortunately, this level won't be playable. The player already crashes if I just want to test it. Good thing I only created the terrain so far by copying together the iconic buildings from other levels! :) So it's nothing more than a nice title screen now, because it sums up perfectly what this pack is about.

I didn't have any specific solution in mind yet anyway; I just thought this might be a nice idea for the last level. But anyways, now I'll just return to what was originally intended to be the last level anyway.

At least I finally managed to accurately assemble the US flag (=with correct number of stars and stripes) at a reasonable size! :thumbsup: Also, I'm definitely going to use that "Lemming Liberty" in one of the two New York-related levels! (All the other structures were taken from already existing levels, but the statue wasn't.)

(You need to scroll this post all the way to the right to see that statue, btw ;) ! )

I cannot wait for the pack to be released! :thumbsup:

Believe me - neither can I! ;)

I'm constantly backing up everything, just to be on the safe side. It's astounding that all this work that went into it is just about 50 MB in total (not counting the music tracks, of course).

Let's play a little game for the meantime: Like with "Don't stop believin'", I have some more levels that try to mimic the actual lyrics of the song they represent, rather than just the title.

Can anyone guess which songs these are? ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, Noisemaker is a full-blown rank now, it has 30 levels just like all the others.

Groupie is also going to have 30 levels; for some of you guys, I'm creating several levels "in your style" if I believe I can't fit it all into one.

Encore is already fixed to 40 levels - surprisingly, I did actually already create that many levels which are song titles in my preceding three packs. I think I even left out one or two, because 40 is just a nicer number.

That blows this pack up to 250 levels in total! :evil: (Noisemaker, Amateur, Professional, Diva, Rockstar, Legend --> 6 x 30 = 180, Encore = 40, Groupie = 30)

I believe that makes it the largest pack in existence so far? :)

Well, there's still three Rockstar levels, a couple more Legend levels, and quite some Groupie levels to go... plus some minor edits on some of the music tracks.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 12:33:40 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 12:50:18 PM »
Mmh... is anyone hungry? :D

Bon appetit!
My packs so far: