Author Topic: Missing elements in existing tilesets  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Missing elements in existing tilesets
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:08:39 PM »
I noticed the L2 sports tileset was still missing one way-down arrows, so I decided to fix that :) . I'm using these arrows anyway in one of my tilesets, so I just threw them in the sports file as well. Of course, I added them at the very end of the object list, in order not to mess up existing levels.

Keep in mind these can also work as one way-up arrows if you invert them. This will only allow fencers to pass.

The only other graphic set I remember being in need of one way-down arrows is IchoTolot's City graphic set, but I don't want to fiddle around with that without his permission.

Also, I was surprised to find out that most graphic sets don't have a fencer pickup skill - yet somehow it's never a problem placing them in the editor, no matter which tileset is active. Is there some automatic replacement going on in the background?

Because if there are no official graphics for fencer pickup skills, I can't include them in my own graphic sets either ;) .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Missing elements in existing tilesets
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:18:16 PM »
1) You can also rotate one-way-walls. So one-way-down arrows can be achieved even with the old sports.dat file.
2) I attached the default pick-up skill sprite. This also contains the fencer sprite.
Note that this would be a lot easier in the new-formats version, as you could just have found this sprite file yourself, instead of having to ask for it. ;P

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:19:50 PM »
I noticed the L2 sports tileset was still missing one way-down arrows, so I decided to fix that :) . I'm using these arrows anyway in one of my tilesets, so I just threw them in the sports file as well. Of course, I added them at the very end of the object list, in order not to mess up existing levels.

Keep in mind these can also work as one way-up arrows if you invert them. This will only allow fencers to pass.

Thanks I guess, even if I don't see much sense in that addition as you can simply use the arrows from other tilesets.
Most L2 arrows I used are simply copies from other standard tilesets. In the case of Sports the pillar arrows are very similar and nearly an exact copy, that's why these arrows will be the replacement in the new formats version as they also have the exact same size --> total backwards compability.
In the new formats all L2 One-Way-Arrows will be linked to the default ones they copied, so that this doubling down isn't needed anymore.
The only really special arrows in these sets are in egyptian and shadow.
Not every single tileset needs every variation nessesarily, as for that tileset mixing was added.

1) You can also rotate one-way-walls. So one-way-down arrows can be achieved even with the old sports.dat file.
Also this. ;P

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:38:14 PM »
Of course you can do a lot by rotating ;) . Yet for e.g most triangular terrain pieces, there are all four possible rotations in the editor, and similarly for one way-arrows, to my knowledge the principle has been established that every tileset should have one way-left, -right, and -down.

As for the fencer, all graphic sets I looked through only had 17 images for pickup skills, the first one being the blank one. So I guess it's not even necessary to include a fencer pickup skill, if none of the other graphic sets have one either - because there has to be some kind of automatic insert taking place anyway when a level creator sets the pickup skill to "fencer" in the editor ;) .

But thanks for the sprites file, perhaps my graphic set will be the first then to include an actual fencer pickup... :D Unless that somehow confuses the graphic set tool.

In the case of Sports the pillar arrows are very similar and nearly an exact copy,

Almost, but not exactly. I know this because I tried combining the sports left- or right arrows with the down arrows from the pillar tileset, and the latter have a slight shade of red to them, while the sports arrows are plain white, which I find a lot cleaner ;) .

If you use the pillar arrows in sports levels, I'd use all arrows from the pillar tileset, no matter whether left, right, or down (which is indeed what's going to happen during converting to the new format, if you replaced the old sports arrows with the pillar ones).

Because in combination, the current sports arrows and those from the pillar set look pretty ridiculous, that difference is actually visible ;) .

PS: The arrows from your City tileset are a little more special. When I needed downward arrows, or, more precisely, upward arrows while making a level with your City set, I did exactly this:

you can simply use the arrows from other tilesets.

But it looked pretty strange, the left- and right arrows being from your graphic set and the upward ones from a random different one. ;) See below:

Lemhattan
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:45:53 PM »
As for the fencer, all graphic sets I looked through only had 17 images for pickup skills, the first one being the blank one. So I guess it's not even necessary to include a fencer pickup skill, if none of the other graphic sets have one either - because there has to be some kind of automatic insert taking place anyway when a level creator sets the pickup skill to "fencer" in the editor ;) .
The old-format NeoLemmix.exe contains itself a lot of styles built in (e.g. all the L1 styles). These built-in styles do contain a separate fencer sprite, i.e. 18 images in total.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:20:37 PM »
Basically - if a pickup skill has 17 frames, the Fencer graphic is automatically generated. If a pickup skill has 18 frames, the 18th one is used for the Fencer. The former behaviour has never been guaranteed to be permanent and graphic set creators are advised to include the Fencer graphic; it was a workaround until graphic set creators all had a chance to do so.

Regarding one-way arrows, the inclusion of one-way-down arrows in graphic sets LONG predates the functionality of rotating / flipping the objects. Because one-way-up arrows are newer than this functionality, graphic sets don't also have dedicated one-way-up arrows. In fact, modern graphic sets only need to contain one direction of one-way arrows; everything else can be achieved by flipping / rotating.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 10:33:48 PM »
The old-format NeoLemmix.exe contains itself a lot of styles built in (e.g. all the L1 styles). These built-in styles do contain a separate fencer sprite, i.e. 18 images in total.

Perhaps it's because I've replaced them with the modified versions which include the background images? Then again, also my dirt tileset, with which I went back to the built-in style because I didn't like that "Hunt the Nessy" image that much as a background, only has 17 frames for the pickup skills.

In fact, modern graphic sets only need to contain one direction of one-way arrows; everything else can be achieved by flipping / rotating.

Thanks for clarifying! I guess I'll include all three anyway, simply because it will save work in the editor :) .
My packs so far:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 10:42:36 PM »
Seems that I was mistaken, there must have been some default white arrows that I used in the new formats version for sports. The conversion table links to a default one + I checked it in a level. So you still got white arrows as it seems.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 04:40:46 AM »
I must say nice use of the Scrap Brain crushers in that Lemhattan level Strato :)

Nice to see elements from that tileset getting uses in other tilesets also.

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 11:39:49 PM »
...I never knew that rotating arrow objects would change their behavior. I've had times when I wanted to use up arrows but never saw them as an object, which led to me being rather confused because LPIV uses them.