Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Snack Pack  (Read 16716 times)

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
[NeoLemmix] Snack Pack
« on: November 03, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »
Hello, you!

I don't like to come to a party empty-handed, so here's one I prepared earlier!

Snack Pack
:compat-ver-10-13::compat-yes:

(a sample level)

This pack is mostly inspired by Oh-No! More Lemmings, with my history with it going back quite a few years now. There was scarcely anything close to a tool like NeoLemmix or a way to share my creations like this forum, available to me at that time. A few months ago (at the time of writing) I started watching some of Flopsy's Let's Plays and heard him mention NeoLemmix and the Lemmings Forums.
You can imagine i felt like a kid in a candy store when I came across those!
- - -

The pack consists of 20 levels in a single rank, without any particular order. Each of the levels enforces a time limit.
Players are expected to possess knowledge of the official games (Lemmings, ONML, Tribes, etc.) but experience with custom packs available on this site is suggested as well. Perceived difficulty usually depends on personal experience of the player. Fare well, and save all those Lemmings!

- - -
The pack is compatible with NeoLemmix Player V10.13.

The .NXP file is attached below.

Complementary soundtracks are attached below, separately (they need to be put in the "Music" folder - it should be created if it doesn't exist yet in the NeoLemmix main directory).

Special thanks go to:
+ DMA for the original game
+ EricLang & ccexplore for Lemmix
+ namida & Nepster for NeoLemmix
+ Flopsy's works for introducing me to the topic and inspiration
+ Alex A. Denisov for Graphics32
+ Eric turner for ZLibEx
+ Un4seen Development for Bass.dll
+ Volker Oth and Mindless for sharing the source code and information
+ IchoTolot, Nessy, Proxima, SimonN, Nepster, the rest of the Lemmings forums Community and everyone else who helped me with this effort!

NeoLemmix Player (V10.13 required)

Pack itself (.NXP)

Complementary music

The custom soundtracks are:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

+++
Flopsy's Let's Play of this level pack (spoilers!)

IchoTolot's playthrough of the pack (spoilers!):

Kaywhyn's playthrough of the pack (spoilers!):

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Snack Pack
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 01:33:32 AM »
Awesome, I've just had my first crack at this.

1 hour in recording time and I've reached Level 12 and can't solve it so I've given up for now.

I'll get my first video up by tomorrow night and post the link in here :)

My initial thoughts are there are some very well designed and inspirational levels in the levels I've played! I especially enjoyed the Shadow tileset level!

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 08:40:34 AM »
Thanks for responding so quickly and in fact playing this pack of mine - a newcomer - straight away! I really appreciate this!

Level 12 is rather unforgiving, so don't worry. You are always welcome to ask for help with a level.

I can't wait for your video(s)!

Funny should you mention that since the pack's levels themselves were inspired by Lemmings, ONML and other people's works.
And the Shadow level was an absolute joy to create, I'm happy you like it, too!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 04:35:48 PM »
A lot of very nice levels, though the difficulty order is not perfect yet ;) Replays are attached.

Detailed comments (click to show/hide)

PS: Very nice sandwich title picture. :)

Online Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 09:14:14 PM »
Could solve all the levels except for three of the 99 release rate ones. Seems I lack some commonly used strategies to control crowds which are so tightly packed together... :)

Any general tricks one can do to hold back 99ers, without spoiling any particular level? Some tricks you just have to know, after all, like the "cunning plan" (builder wall) or the double miner-cancel trick.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 09:36:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh8Coh55aAs

For those who haven't watched my first video of this pack yet.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 11:49:38 PM »
Attached are my replays to all levels. :)  Nice first pack. :thumbsup:  The overall solving time was roughly 1hour for me if you want to measure the difficulty.

General: Nearly all timelimits are unnessesary. Timers are used to enforce certain solutions and prevent backroutes or enforce a certain degree of multitasking. Here they are mostly there to fail an attempt because the crowd came a few seconds too late. I would remove all of them.

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 12:18:25 PM »
Could solve all the levels except for three of the 99 release rate ones. Seems I lack some commonly used strategies to control crowds which are so tightly packed together... :)

Any general tricks one can do to hold back 99ers, without spoiling any particular level? Some tricks you just have to know, after all, like the "cunning plan" (builder wall) or the double miner-cancel trick.

Nothing in particular comes to my mind...
I'd say: finding a way of keeping the crowd away from the work being done? timing? some of level titles giving vague hints?
I'm not sure if I can say much more than that.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »
I've now finished the pack, Level 12 was the only major brick wall but there were some very inspirational and very well designed levels in this pack.

I've got 2 more videos to come on this pack on my channel bringing the total to four.

Great pack overall and very high quality for a first attempt at a level pack, I look forward to seeing more from you SQron188 :)

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 04:53:33 PM »
Thank you for your kind words and your work again! Indeed, I'm excited at the idea of working in this area some more!

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 02:39:44 PM »
A lot of very nice levels, though the difficulty order is not perfect yet ;) Replays are attached.

Detailed comments (click to show/hide)

PS: Very nice sandwich title picture. :)

Thanks for your effort again. I am really excited about this whole level-sharing experience!

Some miscellaneous comments about your comments:

I’m so happy about each positive bit of feedback on this! :)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 03:24:05 PM »
Forgot to post my replay files for my LP playing this pack, you would probably find this useful for your backroute fixing.

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 06:32:49 PM »
Forgot to post my replay files for my LP playing this pack, you would probably find this useful for your backroute fixing.

Thanks for the replays, although I think they're the same ones as your Let's Play solutions.
I've been very  keen while watching the LP and I remember them all!
They still might come in handy for pixel-measuring or such shenanigans. And for archive purposes, surely.

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 08:22:47 PM »
I have finished this pack.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2022, 04:49:02 AM »
Hello SQRon188,

I played and solved all of the pack sometime quite a while back, from way back in April 2020. I'm just attaching my replays for completeness and for historical reasons, as because this pack is currently only for Old Formats NL, they might not be of interest to anyone, but they're there just in case. In addition, here's my video playlist of solutions: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbp2m4KlFpJtdxK8DMDMFBOutoTP5pWhj ;)

General Feedback

Snack Pack is a level pack by SQRon188 and his first one. It is currently only for Old Formats NL, i.e, v10.13.18. It consists of 1 rank of 20 levels, very similar to Lemmings Halloween 2017 by Raymanni, but that one is for New Formats NL. For a first level pack by SQRon188, this is pretty decent and I quite enjoyed it very much. Although the general consensus of the NL community is to avoid time limits unless absolutely necessary to block backroutes, I myself personally don't mind them, especially as I'm a huge math and numbers person. I got to say that while I was recording my solutions to the pack earlier today, it was a blast in the past just seeing them again after so long. I definitely remember some of the levels being decent challenges. It's also been great getting to know SQRon188 on Discord, YT, and the Forums, as well as one Jackbox session.

As already noted by SQRon188 in the OP, most of the levels use ONML tilesets. I think there's only two exceptions, where they both use a L2 tileset. I also remember ONML being quite challenging for me back when I was a kid, but I eventually completed all of it in my early years of middle school after much struggling.

Palatable Rank Feedback

Also as noted in the OP, the levels are in no particular order, although I think for the most part the levels progress in the natural order of easy to hard. None of the levels were particularly challenging, but some still required some thought before I got them solved.

Overall again quite a decent first level pack by SQRon188. Thanks again for it, as well as for Assorted Gubbins ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0