Author Topic: Which old level packs with gimmicks are still out there?  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Which old level packs with gimmicks are still out there?
« on: November 02, 2017, 01:26:29 PM »
As you might have noticed, I'm working on a throwback pack for NeoLemmix 1.43 featuring gimmicks, so I'd like to take a look at some of the old packs which contained levels with gimmicks, just for the sake of inspiration.

That said, if you created such levels back in the day and want them to get some more time in the limelight, you could of course also send these individual levels to me and I'd try to integrate them into the pack - that's what the "author" line in the level editor is for, after all! :) This could easily transform into a community effort this way.

I have already found GigaLem's collection of ghost levels, and they certainly helped me to get a feel for how these function mechanically. Though I was surprised to see e.g. the Biolab tileset from Lemmings 3 featured, which I can't choose in the 1.43 editor. I guess ghosts were kept until NeoLemmix 1.47, i.e. they were removed slightly after all the (other) gimmicks? ;)

So, if there are any other gimmicks packs still out there which you know of, that would be quite helpful indeed! :)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Which old level packs with gimmicks are still out there?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 01:37:46 PM »
Simply look around on my Youtube channel. Playlists like the LPII Bonus Pack or the LPIII Bonus Pack should contain a few gimmick levels, but as I recall namida was nearly the only one using any kind of gimmicks.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 02:12:34 PM »
Wafflem's External Hard Drive has an .nxp file that contains gimmick levels. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you took a look for inspiration as he has released these levels publicly.

Just make sure you heed the following from the thread:

Feel free to play these levels and do whatever you want with them (press F4 at the main menu to extract them from the NXP). My only two requests are that:
1. If you want to add more to my levels, you have to credit me.
2. You don't make videos of them (unless I give permission).

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 02:25:26 PM »
Made a rule change to #2: Anyone can make videos of the Other Gimmicks levels (except levels 15 and 16). The X-Lems levels, I wouldn't do videos on (but you're more than welcome to make modifications to those levels and the Other Gimmicks).

Also, namida's Recycle Bin has all rejected gimmick levels.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 02:34:31 PM »
I have already found GigaLem's collection of ghost levels, and they certainly helped me to get a feel for how these function mechanically. Though I was surprised to see e.g. the Biolab tileset from Lemmings 3 featured, which I can't choose in the 1.43 editor. I guess ghosts were kept until NeoLemmix 1.47, i.e. they were removed slightly after all the (other) gimmicks? ;)

The biolab tileset was available prior to 1.43. It seems that it just wasn't added to the set of automatically downloaded styles; you had to import it manually to use it in the editor, and use Flexi to incorporate the style in an NXP when sharing levels.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 03:20:58 PM »
Made a rule change to #2: Anyone can make videos of the Other Gimmicks levels (except levels 15 and 16). The X-Lems levels, I wouldn't do videos on (but you're more than welcome to make modifications to those levels and the Other Gimmicks).

Cool!

I didn't know those levels were allowed to be LP'd, I guess I learned something today!

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 06:44:19 PM »
The biolab tileset was available prior to 1.43. It seems that it just wasn't added to the set of automatically downloaded styles; you had to import it manually to use it in the editor, and use Flexi to incorporate the style in an NXP when sharing levels.

Yay, and the old editor still recognises them, great! :) Thanks a lot, this will make the pack look much less monotonous, with the L2 tilesets to choose from, too! Now the main restriction compared to 10.13 is not being able to combine tilesets, but whatever. The upside of this is that each individual level will look more stylistically consistent! :D

@Wafflemm: Thanks for the link, I downloaded namida's recycle bin. However, for your external hard drive, X-Lem etc. all the dropbox links give me and error 404 ("link not found"). Did you remove them from your dropbox, and if so, would you mind putting them back in there if you still have them somewhere? ;)

Just to make it clear, unless anyone specifically suggests certain levels of his to go into the Lemmicks pack, I won't simply throw in levels by other creators, especially if they themselves attempted to create a gimmick-heavy pack. Otherwise, we'd end up with complete other packs inside the pack, which would blow it out of proportions pretty quickly. :)

But if you have any specific gimmick levels which you feel didn't get the attention they deserved (since you said you cancelled the pack), please inform me! ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:48:39 PM »
Ah, okay, apparently the graphic sets uploaded in this thread are still too new, unfortunately (because obviously the versions linked there kept getting replaced with updated ones, even though the first posts are as old as 2015). The old 1.43 editor recognises the L2 and L3 sets, meaning you can build levels with them, you also get to see the preview screen, but as soon as you hit play, there's an access violation error.

Seems like I'm going to have to stick to original, ONML and Lemmings Plus graphic sets for "Lemmicks" then ;) !
My packs so far: