Poll

Out of these more popular choices, which ones are the HARDER levels?

Crazy 8: KEEP ON TRUCKING
Wicked 10: Temple of Love
Havoc 4: The Race Against Cliches
Havoc 7: Creature Discomforts
Havoc 17: Where Lemmings Dare
Havoc 18: Lemmings in a Situation
Havoc 19: Looks A Bit Nippy Out There

Author Topic: Top 10 hardest OH NO more Lemmings levels  (Read 10473 times)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Top 10 hardest OH NO more Lemmings levels
« on: September 25, 2017, 03:12:20 AM »
I thought I'd revisit this question again but this time focusing on OH NO More Lemmings as I plan on making a YT video on the top 10 hardest levels in this game.

This is assuming you are playing the game on the original Amiga, PS1 or Windows 95 Lemmings (if this was where you played the game).

It doesn't have to be 10 levels, you can suggest more if necessary if you struggled with more than 10 of them.

This could be expanded to a Top 15 or Top 20 if necessary due to the vast amount of difficult levels.

A few things to be clear on:
"Introducing SUPERLEMMING" is allowed eventhough it is technically a sped up level.
The level can be hard for any reason, tight time limit, tough execution....things that wouldn't really be an issue in Neo Lemmix for example.

As with the previous topic, I will bring a short list of my own to the topic.
Please feel free to suggest levels not on this list, any level is fair game (except TAME levels! :P)

Crazy 3 - Many Lemming Make Level Work - the timed bombers make this level tedious
Crazy 7 - And Now The End is Near... - was hard on some engines due to sensitive steel mechanics.
Crazy 8 - KEEP ON TRUCKING - the skillset was rather tight in this level and the diamonds near the end were awkward.
Crazy 10 - ROCKY VI - required very precise builder placement and tight execution
Crazy 16 - Across The Gap - 100% requirement and hard to contain the lemmings.
Crazy 17 - Digging for Victory - Time Limit made this tough.
Crazy 20 - Ice Ice Lemming - can be scary for some players and is an execution nightmare.

Wild 2 - Lemming Hotel - Struggled with this one for some reason, it's hard to time everything right on this.
Wild 3 - Lemming Rhythms - Time Limit is tight on this and the solution is tricky.
Wild 4 - Meeting Adjourned - 100% requirement and hard to contain the Lemmings and then release them.
Wild 13 - ONWARD AND UPWARDS - Hardest time crunch in the game hands down!
Wild 16 - Take Care Sweetie - Hard to figure out

Wicked 2 - Introducing SuperLemming - yeah, just too fast!
Wicked 7 - Last Lemming To Lemming Central - tricky puzzle!
Wicked 10 - Temple of Love - so tight on builders!!!
Wicked 11 - ROCKY ROAD - similar to KEEP ON TRUCKING in difficulty
Wicked 16 - Five Alive - a nice level as well as being difficult.
Wicked 17 - Down The Tube - this one was tough and required out of the box thinking.
Wicked 18 - Lots More Where They Come From - the terrain in this level was an absolute nightmare
Wicked 19 - Up, Down or Round and Round - required very on the edge builder placement and the hidden trap was awful. Kind of like Livin on the Edge meets Compression Method.

Havoc 4 - The Race Against Cliches - very intimidating for less experienced players.
Havoc 5 - There's Madness in the Method - This one took me 50 tries to get right in PS1 version, it's a hell of a execution to pull off.
Havoc 8 - Lemming About Town - A tough to work out level as well as being a slight time crunch.
Havoc 11 - Welcome to the Party Pal - Time crunch and requires perfect execution nearly.
Havoc 12 - It's All A Matter of Timing - Interesting builder puzzle
Havoc 15 - Have an Ice Day - Very tight on skills and long!
Havoc 16 - Scaling the Heights - if you aren't familiar with using Miner tunnels to get up a level then this is a roadblock.
Havoc 17 - Where Lemmings Dare - the traps around the exit are hidden and very off putting
Havoc 18 - Lemmings in a Situation - very similar to Temple of Love
Havoc 19 - Looks A Bit Nippy Out There - similar to Scaling the Heights
Havoc 20 - Look Before you Leap - Very harsh bomber timing level.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
Re: Top 10 hardest OH NO more Lemmings levels
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:47:18 AM »
Here's my list:

10) Dolly Dimple: Very tough level for a beginner, as the trick used to free the lemmings in the right direction isn't obvious at first (if you go for the intended solution).
9) KEEP ON TRUCKING: I still struggle with this one even to this day. It's very tight on skill sets and time limit.
8) The Race Against Cliches: Can be a stressful multitasking level for beginners.
7) Creature Discomforts: I might be the only one with this opinion, but this is another tough multitasking level.
6) Across The Gap: It's tough to figure out how to contain the lemmings here for a beginner and it has a 100% save requirement.
5) Chill Out!: Brilliant puzzle, but not an easy one to figure out right away.
4) Where Lemmings Dare: Brutal traps and a tricky layout.
3) Temple Of Love: Another level with a tight skill set.
2) Lemmings In A Situation: A tough level made tougher by the limited skill set.
1) There's Madness In The Method: An excellent puzzle, but very tough to figure out and execute!

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 03:09:36 PM »
My selection (from most to less difficult):

Looks a Bit Nippy Out There (Havoc 19)
It's all a matter of timing (Havoc 12)
Creature Discomforts (Havoc 7)
The Lemming Funhouse (Wicked 20)
Five Alive (Wicked 16)
Got anything....Lemmingy??? (Wild 20)
Onward And Upward (Wild 13)
Temple Of Love (Wicked 10)
Munity On The Bounty (Wild 11)
LeMming ToMato KetchUp fAcilitY (Wicked 1) - I hate this level, I think it's awful

I think the SuperLemming level is also awful, rather than difficult. By the way: there is a typo on its name on the NeoLemmix Level List web page (Inroducing)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 03:18:05 PM »
No, that typo is actually in the name of the level :)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »
I think the SuperLemming level is also awful, rather than difficult. By the way: there is a typo on its name on the NeoLemmix Level List web page (Inroducing)

As Proxima said, believe it or not, as far as I recall that typo was in the original level in the first place. The NeoLemmix levels are meant to be accurate copies of the original ones, so even the typoed title has been retained as it has always been.

- - - - - - - - - -

Most of the ONML levels I believe are difficult I have stated in the roadblock topic, though yeah, roadblocks aren't the same than the most difficult levels. When I had played the entire game through the first time, I guess I considered Havoc15: Have an ice day! as the most difficult level of ONML.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 03:44:54 PM »
No, that typo is actually in the name of the level :)

Didn't notice for all this time! Only at checking the screenshots found the name misspelled. And as I mentioned, thought there was a typo there, not within the game.

The Covox and Prima Publishing levels also share the same tilesets from Oh No!, so, if you allow me to choose from there too, I'd say that "Oh No! Squish", "Which Way Do We Go?" and "IceTown" are another three hard levels (by the way, this last reminds me of Wicked 18).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 05:42:51 AM »
I still have my notebook in which I wrote down the access codes, the first time I went through the game. That means that any time there's a change of pen, I got stuck there for a long time 8-)

So here's my list.

Crazy 8 - KEEP ON TRUCKING. Some really awkward execution towards the end, and you don't have enough skills to "cover up" if you make a mistake.
Crazy 10 - ROCKY VI. This was a very difficult puzzle level, with the unusual concept of worker lemmings from both sides meeting in the middle, and setting up the crowd control to allow this.
Wicked 3 - This Corrosion. Another impossible-seeming level with a well-concealed solution (in fact two!)
Wicked 10 - Temple of Love. Yet again, very hard to work out how to control the crowd and release worker lemmings with the limited skillset.
Havoc 7 - Creature Discomforts. A monster multitasking level where it's very hard to work out how you need to divide up the skills between the two halves.
Havoc 16 - Scaling the Heights. High release rate, low time, very difficult to keep everything under control. For a bonus, in the Mac version you can't climb up part of the wall that's meant to be vertical.
Havoc 17 - Where Lemmings Dare. The road to hell is paved with hidden traps.
Havoc 18 - Lemmings in a Situation. ONML has a pretty wonky difficulty curve, but at least it does have a genuine peak at the end of the game.
Havoc 19 - Looks a Bit Nippy Out There. Really awkward terrain to work with, and hidden traps again!
Havoc 20 - Look Before You Leap! Very nasty bomber timing, and difficult to find an optimal route.

Honourable (or dishonourable) mentions:

Crazy 2 - Dolly Dimple. Not up there with the previous levels, but a huge difficulty jump considering its position, right after Crazy 1 (which has an easy backroute) and the Tame set.
Wild 12 - SNOW JOKE. This is the only level I got really stuck on in the Wild set, but in hindsight, it's hard to see why. Also, it never occurred to me there could be a fake one-way wall, so I never tested it.
Wicked 2 - Inroducing Superlemming. Ignoring the "superlemming" aspect, this is still a pretty tricky skill conservation puzzle, although unfortunately there's a backroute that rather spoils it.
Wicked 6 - Pop Till You Drop. Very easy if you realise you only need to save 30/80 so you can ignore two hatches completely, but I couldn't think in that way :P
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:49:21 AM by Proxima »

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 02:55:49 PM »
The level that I actually got stuck on for the longest time when ONML first came out was:    The race against cliches.     
Did anyone else have a lot of trouble on this one???

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 03:03:52 PM »
The level that I actually got stuck on for the longest time when ONML first came out was:    The race against cliches.     
Did anyone else have a lot of trouble on this one???

I did have some trouble on that level when I played it for the first time. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that I didn't have enough floaters for all the lemmings, and I didn't warp my head around the idea of sending them over the top. It just didn't click at first.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 11:20:13 PM »
I might put them in a random order, well here it goes. I might add the level, The race against cliches as I agree with rubix that level was quite tricky and did cause a lot of trouble.

Havoc 19 (Looks a bit nippy out there) there were parts to this level where you have to have fast reactions. I remember having to click on the lemmings quick as not to lose them.

Havoc 14 (Synchronised Lemming) a very good level I thought but also very hard as you have to multitask and get things perfectl.

Havoc 12 (It's all a matter of timing) A unique level where you have to contain the lemmings and making sure no lemmings dies was tricky.

Wild 12 (SNOW JOKE) this was a level that used to cause me a lot of trouble in the past.

Wild 8 (It's a tight fit!) Oh this level used to be a big pain. A very good level but you had to be very quick and concentrate on what you are doing.

Havoc 4 (The race against cliches) I remember when I used to race my dad to see who could complete lemmings the fastest, this was probably one of the levels that stomped us a few times.

Havoc 17 (Where Lemmings Dare) Traps traps everywhere arggggg. Actually I found that level quite fun but that trap near the exit is a killer.

Havoc 18 (Lemmings in a situation) getting that digger right at the end used to cause me a bit of hassle.

Crazy 7 (And now, the end is near...) getting the builder right was sometimes a problem as you had to get it right so the basher was bashing the ground where the lemmings are rescueing them.

Wild 9 (Ice Station Lemming) the solution I used to have for this level was very difficult back in the day but I'm able to solve this level quite easily now but yes back in the day this  was quite tricky.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 11:04:10 PM »
I'm going to move to making this video soon so I'm making this post to warn everyone that this is your last chance to put your opinions forward about the hardest Oh No More Lemmings levels.

Remember to ignore NeoLemmix tools when making choices, this is about playing the original game on its original hardware with the precision difficulties you would have had.
Even talking about the Win 95 version is allowed.

Even if you've posted earlier in this topic, you're welcome to post again. Maybe your opinion has changed since you originally posted.

Remember if you don't get involved then your opinion won't count ;)

EDIT: I've added a poll to help distinguish the harder levels out of the more popular choices in this thread.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:26:32 PM by Flopsy »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 11:52:47 PM »
I've played through the Win95 version.

- Crazy 8: KEEP ON TRUCKING (Rather longwinded level, so trying out things costs much time and a lot of fiddling around.)
- Crazy 16: Across The Gap (Just very hectic.)
- Wild 8: It`s a tight fit! (Extremely precise and have to take care of the time limit in connection with RR.)
- Wild 16: Take care, Sweetie (Tough puzzle, level has a couple of red herrings.)
- Wicked 10: Temple of Love (Tough puzzle.)
- Wicked 17: Down the tube (Tough puzzle.)
- Wicked 18: LoTs moRe wHeRe TheY caMe fRom (Hard to fiddle your way through.)
- Havoc 16: Scaling the Heights (Tough puzzle.)
- Havoc 19: Looks a Bit Nippy Out There (I think I did some hackish backroute there.)
- Havoc 20: LOoK BeFoRe YoU LeAp! (Very precise timed bombing in connection with having to deal with two different sides/hatches and to manage the amount of exploders.)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:10:30 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 08:43:11 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzlS6_3_gVA

Video is up at last for those who haven't seen it yet :)

Offline Tiduas

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel with a focus on Retro and Indie titles.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 10:35:24 AM »
Great video Flopsy, just had a trip down memory lane looking at it while remembering the struggle at many of the levels mentioned in the video. Will have a look at the one you made for the original Lemmings as well.
YouTube channel about retro and indie games.
https://www.youtube.com/@Teedyan

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 07:55:59 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzlS6_3_gVA

Video is up at last for those who haven't seen it yet :)

I think if I were to make a list of my own, it'd be similar - provided it'd be a list for the NL engine ONML as opposed to the old versions, due to the difficulty being shifted from solution and execution to the solution alone.

I'd declare Havoc 20 the hardest level for the old versions due to the timed bombers.

I'm also unsure how to judge difficulty based on when in the game a given level appears (e. g. "ONWARDS AND UPWARDS" is very difficult and it's in the middle rating whereas "Lemmings In A Situation" is fairly tough, but not for the end of the game).
This is also caused by my Lemmings skills gradually developing along the game - especially since this was my first Lemmings game.

Other levels I consider really hard: "SNOW JOKE", "Take care, Sweetie", "Up, Down or Round and Round" (precision).

Some odds and ends: playing the Amiga version, I initially glitched my way through "ONWARDS AND UPWARDS" by randomly mining into the abyss beneath one of the arches at the beginning of the level (and greedily writing down the code for the following level). Similar thing with "This Corrosion" where Lems got saved by falling to the right of the starting platform. I also backrouted "The Race Against Cliches" by bashing under the pillars.