Author Topic: [NeoLemmix]Yung's First Level Pack  (Read 5985 times)

Offline Yung Gotenks

• View Profile
[NeoLemmix]Yung's First Level Pack
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:22:53 AM »
Hello there!
This is my first pack EVER, so please tell if it's good or not!

This pack has 3 ranks with 5 levels each. I know, criminally short, but i didn't want to go super big for my first level pack.
This pack will probably get updated, so look out for that if it ever happens.
It's a simple level pack with rank signs being the only custom thing here.
EDIT: 8.15.17
UPDATED to v1.1
Changelog:
-Switched Rank 1 level 2 with rank 1 level 3
-Changed some level design choices
-Fixed the backroute in Rank 3 Level 4
:compat-new:

And now, some screenshots

Rank 1:Calm
Just Mine!

Rank 2: Decent
Frosted and Roasted Lemmings

Rank 3: Suspicious
Over the Gap

Download!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8wqk69b5b42q1kw/Yung%27s+First+Level+Pack1.1.nxp
Hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:55:41 PM by Yung Gotenks »

My Packs:
Yung's First Level Pack: A pack with 15 levels. Basic knowledge of the new NeoLemmix skills is required.
http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3362.0
The Hell Pack: Every level is hell themed. Basic knowledge of the new NeoLemmix Skills is required.
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3551.msg67577#msg67577

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix]Yung's First Level Pack
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 02:25:08 PM »
I've had a run through of this myself and it's good for a first try, there aren't any errors in the nxp when I tried to run it.

This uses Neo Lemmix v10.012.xxx which is not the latest version but that's not really an issue with the levels in this pack.

Even the rank signs look good, a different background color would be better for each different rank though.

I would avoid using mediafire to host downloads in future. The nxp was only 6MB and this is smaller than the 16MB limit which you can attach to forum replies.
Plus mediafire tends to hit you with annoying ad pages and potentially malicious sites the moment you click download.

Dropbox is a great alternative for file hosting and is used by a lot of people on here if you have big files which need downloading which exceed the 16MB

If you can't attach files which are less than 16MB to messages then it is a bug and needs reporting :)

Also, it is recommended that you don't put music files in the nxp, there was music from other Lemmings ports in here and the file size reflects this. It's ok given the small size of the pack but just a warning for if you make a bigger pack in future that the music files will inflate the file size of the nxp.
It is general now to have the music files as a separate download in a .zip file

I've attached my replays at the bottom of the post :)

Individual level feedback - in spoiler tags to avoid spoilers for those who haven't played
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 02:31:28 PM by Flopsy »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »
Very nice, little and relatively easy pack. :thumbsup: Replays attached to this post.

Some general comments:
- The best level is "There is only one-way". :thumbsup: The two snow levels "Frosted and Roasted Lemmings" and "Builders are your best friend" are great, too!
- My solution to "Looks can be deceiving" seems to be too simple. Perhaps this is an unintended backroute?
- "Up and down lemmings": The gaps between the pillars are not readily recognizable as such. I would either close them or make them bigger. This level could be moved to a later position, btw.
- You tend to give more builders and platformers than necessary. This allows solutions that just build over every obstacle, e.g. in "The Marble Pillars". Such levels would be more fun for me if you reduce the number of builders to force me to use other skills as well.
- Sometimes you give more permanent skills than lemmings in the level, e.g. the climbers in "The Hellhouse". Usually the number of permenent skills is at most the number of lemmings.
- In some levels like "Cave Lemmings", the screen start position does not show the hatch. I prefer it otherwise.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:59:09 PM »
Hello Yung Gotenks.

Congratulations on making your first pack! I have played through it and here are my comments:

Offline Yung Gotenks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 09:03:41 PM »
:thumbsup: Thanks to all of you for giving my level pack a chance!
and yes, there is a unintended backroute in rank 3 level 4, so i'll try to find a way 'round it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:56:18 PM by Yung Gotenks »

My Packs:
Yung's First Level Pack: A pack with 15 levels. Basic knowledge of the new NeoLemmix skills is required.
The Hell Pack: Every level is hell themed. Basic knowledge of the new NeoLemmix Skills is required.

Offline Yung Gotenks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 09:56:40 PM »
There is a new update
Check the OP (Original Post).

My Packs:

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 05:52:41 PM »
Hey Yung Gotenks.

Nice fix on the backroute for "Looks Can Be Deceiving". Unfortunately, I was able to find another backroute (replay attached below). See the Spoiler tag for details.

Offline Yung Gotenks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 07:38:26 PM »
Hmm, that's unfortunate. i tried putting steel where the source of the backroute is but the lemmings still turn around.
I think this is a unfixable backroute :(

My Packs:

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 08:41:34 PM »
This was a pretty neat pack. There were a lot of 'contain everybody while you build the path' levels but there's nothing really wrong with that. It just makes everything feel a little bit samey.
Because you have to save less than half in Decent 1, you can just ignore either the top or bottom entirely. Seems a bit odd.
The graphics pieces are sometimes laid out a little bit oddly, like that spot of water in Suspicious 2 that's completely under the ground, yet you can still see pixels of it popping out through the top. There was also the lizard in Decent 2 that had its trigger buried in the ground, thus rendering it useless. Apart from those little things, it looked pretty nice overall.
I was also able to cheese Suspicious 4 by just cranking the release rate to 99 immediately and then starting to bash through the wall. Most of the lemmings will turn around by the time you get through. By doing the same thing with the second wall everyone will turn around. Then you just clone the basher 3 times and you're done. It's even still possible to save the basher by platforming out and then cutting him off with another basher so he can climb out. Still a pretty neat level, and it stands out among the others as being more puzzle-oriented.
I think my favorite was "There is only one way." "Distance" was pretty good too; I feel like with some tweaks it could be made into something very interesting that forces you to use some skills in different ways.
The difficulty curve was pretty well laid out, and though it was overall easy it was still fun. Good job! :D

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 03:18:54 PM »
Hi Yung Gotenks,

so, this pack came out around the time when I joined the forum. The main reason it took me so long to play it was that I was just completely overwhelmed by the difficulty of most custom packs here, so I figured this one would be similarly difficult. Especially with smaller packs (e.g. Lemmings Migration), I often expect these will be especially challenging, because likely more work went into each single level.

Then again, I also knew this was your first level pack, so I didn't expect anything too mean either ;) .

Overall, the difficulty seems to be pretty flat line - I don't really notice an increase from rank 1 to rank 3. The main exception is "Looks can be deceiving", although I managed to backroute that level once again :D .

The main reason this pack is not very challenging is the abundance of skills you provide. Especially walkers, platformers, and builders, all of which are very powerful skills, are often provided in such high quantities that it's never really a problem to e.g. free a blocker in order to save everyone, or to turn a lemming around.

The builder is strong enough by itself already; its main weakness can be the fact that it's gaining height, so lemmings can easily bump their heads when trying to build a longer bridge under a low ceiling. But you almost always give the player additional platformers to compensate for that.

Some levels have many builders and only 2 platformers, or vice versa, so you have to put a little effort in to figure out where these two skills should go, but I found out that more often than not, it doesn't even end up mattering that much.

But there's obviously an easy way to fix this: Just remove all skills that are not part of your intended solution! ;)

There were a couple of levels though that did a good job at restricting the players options, namely by not providing any downward-moving destructive skills (i.e. no diggers, miners, or bombers, but only bashers).

That is a concept I'd suggest exploring further! ;) You can easily turn this on its head, for example by creating a level where the lemmings have to move upwards, but you don't provide any builders, fencers, or climbers, but e.g. only platformers and bashers, possibly miners.

My replays are attached.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels