Author Topic: [NL]Holiday GigaLems 2016 "The Harsh Winter" - Yay another post holiday release!  (Read 12777 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Good grief another late holiday release, I hope it doesn't continue being this way
Ladies and gents, I present to you

60 more levels in a pack, that you must get through to save christmas!
However its not an easy pack

Snuggly

"1st day of december" The 1st rank ranging in Fun-Tricky on difficulty

Shivering

"In due time....again" From this point the difficulty picks up ranging to Crazy-Taxing

Frigid

"Ironclad Peaks" What's this? a new tileset that doesn't look like it was made by a total newbie, Yep I made a new tileset all by myself (kinda) It comes with the pack for you to use.
For the difficulty however, Expect it to reach Taxing-Wicked

Glacial

"Frozen MeleMele Island" Asside from the obvious Alola region level here, Difficult is about Mayhem levels here

Krampus

"I'm dreaming of a GOLD xmas" The monster has come to claim the spot that is the last rank, Havoc rating and beyond levels from that point

DL Link(Luckily the Soundtack isn't as big this time)
Download

BTW, If you solved a level in a different way without backrouting it, Ask me to make it a talisman

Credits

Neolemmix & its tools
Namida and Nepster

Tilesets(Myself not included)
Arty
Zanzidorf
Plom510
Namida
DMA

Remixes
Zero Janitor

All songs belong to thier respective owners

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Looks very nice! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Will play it in the future, but right now I've got a lot of university stuff and other things to do. :(

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Be honest GigaLem, do you think this pack is too hard for me or would I have a chance at finishing it.

I don't want this pack to be abandoned half way through because I find it too hard :(

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
NeoLemmix V10.12.12-C crashes on the very last level of the last rank. The error message reads:
ObtainObject loop on "crystal_md:0". Please report this.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
NeoLemmix V10.12.12-C crashes on the very last level of the last rank. The error message reads:
ObtainObject loop on "crystal_md:0". Please report this.
That's strange, because the tileset is in there and it loads fine for me

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Then it seems that it's ~ the same bug that happens with möbius contest level "Slaughterhouse".

We need further investigation here.....

EDIT: Is the background correctly chosen on it (by selecting a bg and not by a giant object)? --- I remember Flopsy made that mistake with similar results

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
well the primary tileset was Glacier, so there's no background on it

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
crystal_md is one of the Genesis variants of the default tilesets. Most likely, Nepster does not have a copy of this tileset, and does not have graphic set auto-downloading enabled (as this is an autodownloadable one). If this guess is correct, immediate solution is to either turn that option on, or to manually download crystal_md (either via browser or using the Download menu in the editor or Flexi) and place it in the "styles" folder.

Longer-term solution, GigaLem should include in his NXPs any graphic sets that aren't built into NL itself, even if they're auto-downloadable. This means any graphic set that isn't from L1, ONML, L2, L3 or the Lemmings Plus series, except for Xmas, Sega and Horror.
Okay, this doesn't make sense, upon inspecting the NXP's contents there is a copy of crystal_md in there, so the presence or lack thereof of crystal_md in the styles folder should not matter.

There have also been reports that this pack does not load properly on (privately released) experimentals for new NL versions. While I've yet to properly investigate (I'm about to do so now), I suspect that this is due to GigaLem preferring to manually overwrite the default Lemming sprites with the Xmas ones, rather than simply selecting in Flexi Toolkit to use Xmas sprites on all levels and updating to the NeoLemmix version that fixes the bug where this option did not work. Second possibility is the use of actual custom spritesets that are lacking some animations, most likely the Fencer.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:06:56 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Okay, I was close: The Xmas spriteset is indeed configured to be used (rather than overwriting the default one), but GigaLem has for some reason included a copy of them, with no Fencer graphic.

One solution would be to add the "xmas_fencer.png", "xmas_fencer_mask.png" and updated "xmas_scheme.nxmi" files from the default graphics download.

A better solution would be to remove the custom spriteset altogether, given that at least at a quick glance it doesn't appear to be any different from the normal versions of the Xmas sprites and as such there is no reason to include it in the NXP.

Regarding the issue with the final level: This is weird, because upon inspecting the NXP's contents, it does include a copy of crystal_md. I also don't get any crash upon playing this level, also using V10.12.12-C.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:02:50 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
That was weird:
a) I already had the "crystal_md" style in my style folder. Then I selected "Enable Online Options" and "Enable Update Check" and the error still occured.
b) After selecting "Update Styles Automatically" NeoLemmix wanted to update the style "crystal_md". After doing so, the error vanished and the level loaded correctly.
c) Now I got curious and deleted the style "crystal_md" again from the styles folder. Interestingly the level still loaded fine.
d) Next I searched a bit for an outdated version of this style, found one and placed that into the styles folder. Surprisingly, everything still worked fine.
e) Finally I downloaded the NeoLemmix player again and placed it in some completely new directory and added a new copy of GigaLem's pack there. Again everything worked as desired with no error at all.
I really don't know where the bug was...

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Is it possible the version you had prior to this wasn't just out of date, but corrupted somehow?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
That's a possibility, but I don't play around with graphic styles, so I really wonder what could have corrupted a style file? And unfortunately the old style file got overwritten by the update tool, so I can't check and confirm whether this was the cause.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Just informing you that this pack cannot load up any level at all and the game throws out this fatal error.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
That's strange, I have no problem with any level loading.

IE: 1st level (Snuggly) is called The 1st day of December. (red and green terrain, and a little bit of steel, no scrolling at all in level)
         Release Rate:50
         10 of 10 lemmings to be rescued
         10 walkers, 10 climbers, 10 floaters, 20 builders.

Locked exit with 4 buttons to press to open exit.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ok, for some odd reason the SYSTEM.DAT file didn't have anything in there when I opened it with FlexiTool. I added in the levels that I got from the nxpextractor, rebuilt the .nxp, and now everything works except for 1-6 and 5-11, where the game crashes when loading these two levels. They both complain that they cannot load kiwi.dat even though that style is inside the styles folder. If you have another kiwi.dat file, that'll be great. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0