Author Topic: Something in progress - No name yet  (Read 11559 times)

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
Something in progress - No name yet
« on: December 30, 2016, 10:08:20 AM »
Hello there :)

I haven't posted in a while but I still come around regularly to read stuff. It's great that this Lemmings sanctuary is still active after all these years!

I wanted to let you know that Dodochacalo and I have been working on a collaborative Lemmini pack for quite some time now... *cough* two years *cough* and, for various reasons, we're making reaaaaally slow progress. We made about 20 levels each (yep, very slow).

We used to test each other's levels, but Dodo hasn't been around for a while and I have a bunch of mine left untested. So I was thinking I could ask here if someone would be interested in testing / backrouting / tearing apart some levels. Then I could move on and I guess it would be motivating not to be alone on this.

Ok so that's it. Maybe I'll add some screens in the future to make the topic more... welcoming :D

Happy holidays everyone!

===== Edit 11/14/22 =====

I attached a few levels as a mini demo.

Paucity

It's the first level I made for the project so I think it's a good starter! This one is on the easy side but as the title suggests the skills here are a bit scarce.

Forbidden Friendship

A two lemmings puzzle, one of my favorite kind of levels :D

Viaduc Caduc

I attached this one mostly to collect opinions on its solution. When I sent it to Dodo he had a mixed reaction, something about the solution bugged him so I'm not sure what to think about it. To me it honestly doesn't feel far-fetched at all :crylaugh: I'm curious to know what people think about it. It may very well seem vanilla for the custom scene.

More to come in the future!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 05:52:24 PM by Pieuw »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Something in progress - No name yet
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 11:15:46 AM »
Lemmini doesn't enjoy much popularity these days, it'd be well worth considering use of NeoLemmix or at least SuperLemmini instead (Icho wrote a tutorial on converting levels, and you're always welcome to ask for help).

Either way though, it's great to hear an old member coming back to level design, especially one who's levels are as highly-regarded as yours and dodo's! :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 11:42:22 AM »
Warmly encourage Dodo to make an account here!

-- Simon

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
Even though I abandoned Lemmini a while ago, for the people who got me into playing custom stuff I could get myself through some testing. I could even help with a conversion again ;)

But the next months will be kind of stressful for me so don't expect quick results!

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 02:31:45 PM »
Lemmini doesn't enjoy much popularity these days, it'd be well worth considering use of NeoLemmix or at least SuperLemmini instead

Well, we started like 2 years ago and at the time we chose Lemmini by default. I'm totally open to conversion, though I'm not used to build levels for NeoLemmix. I'll have to talk to Dodo about it but he's really not into Lemmings for now (busy life).

Warmly encourage Dodo to make an account here!

If only! I'd have to encourage him to continue his levels first :P

Even though I abandoned Lemmini a while ago, for the people who got me into playing custom stuff I could get myself through some testing. I could even help with a conversion again ;)

But the next months will be kind of stressful for me so don't expect quick results!

Thank you Icho, nothing about this project is quick so there's no rush :) If Lemmini is really dead then I'll have to convert the levels to NeoLemmix before asking for your help. This may be the best thing to do! I'll read the topic you wrote and try stuff :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 02:35:06 PM »
There's one thing not covered in Icho's post, and that's the "Mass Convert" option (under the "Tools" menu). It should be fairly simple to use, but just ask if you have any trouble with it. :)

Do keep in mind - levels do need to be re-tested after conversion, because Lemmini and NeoLemmix's physics are not identical.

I'm also not sure how familiar you are with NeoLemmix, so one very important thing to keep in mind - if any of your levels rely on bomber timing, or even simply on "you can't have a lemming explode in its first 5 seconds", they'll need adjustment or replacement, because NeoLemmix bombers are instant with no countdown.

There's also a fair few new features you can mess around with in NeoLemmix (of course, using them is optional), such as a handful of new object types (including teleporters, pre-placed lemmings, pickup skills, traps that only work once, and more); arbitrary level sizes instead of being restricted to one fixed size (and yes, this even includes that levels can have vertical scrolling); the ability to have levels with infinite time (in fact, this is considered standard these days, NeoLemmix levels generally don't have time limits unless there's a specific reason for them to do so) or with unchangeable release rate; and eight new skills (mouseover for details): Walker, Swimmer, Glider, Disarmer, Stoner, Platformer, Stacker and Cloner. If you want to familiarize yourself with the new stuff in NeoLemmix, try out the NeoLemmix Introduction Pack. :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:22:02 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 01:50:34 AM »
Yay! Pieuw is making levels! I'm already excited! :D
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 07:57:53 PM »
I converted all the levels that were ready, and it went pretty well. I had to slightly change a solution but all the other levels work the same which is great. :thumbsup:

That being said, a couple NeoLemmix behaviours may cause some levels to be unnecessarily more complicated in term of precision.

First case : because of the instant bombing, there's a situaton where you have to assign the bomber to a climber that's in a crowd of other climbers. It's pretty hard to select the right one. Originally you had to assign the bomber while the lemming was still walking which made it way easier. I'll have to think about that.

The other problem is because lemmings walk through blockers in some situations. I actually like how, in Lemmini, a blocker always makes a lemming turn around no matter what. In a couple levels it makes some blockers a bit annoying to place.

I'm not complaining though, I really like the NeoLemmix player. All the hotkeys controls make it really user-friendly and there's no stress about making mistakes and having to go through a long replay anymore.

There's also a fair few new features you can mess around with in NeoLemmix

Yep, there's a lot of new stuff going on I see :) I'll stick with the original features and skills for now (except for the infinite time and resizing levels which seem to be better for players), but it's interesting to have new tools to have fun with.

Yay! Pieuw is making levels! I'm already excited! :D

Well, I'm making levels but I'm not as confident as before with my inspiration and stuff. I hope it'll turn out nice :)

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 08:10:10 PM »
You can select a lemming with a right click and then assign a skill to that lemming at a later time by right clicking the icon (like the bomber in that case). Also, I am always down to test levels!

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 09:42:37 AM »
Hullo :)

Still working on this here and there, but still not sure where it's going.

Dodochacalo is AWOL. I got most of his levels on my computer but I can't seem to open them with the latest version of the editor, they fire a thousand errors :XD: They're perfectly playable with the Neolemmix player though, which I find odd. I'll have to look into this!

He made almost 30 levels and I'm close to 50, which in total makes a pretty decent amount for a pack. I'll keep working on my part until I'm happy with the amount and quality of the levels. I may post some previews and demos here at some point :D

I hope everyone is doing ok :laugh:

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 11:03:24 AM »
Hi Pieuw,

In this case, what you want to do is cleanse the levels. Basically, what it does is resave the level files in an up-to-date format. You simply put the files in the levels folder of NL, load up NL, click on "level select" or press F2, select your pack, and click on "cleanse all levels." After it's done, the level files should be in a folder called Cleanse in your NL directory. This should fix the problem and allow you to now open them in the NL editor.

Just to be sure, are they NL level files? Or are they levels for some other engine? If the former, then what I just outlined above should do the trick. If the latter, then it'll probably be a bit harder, but it can probably still be done
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 01:44:12 PM »
Hey Kaywhyn!

Thank you for the help, I'll try to do as you say :thumbsup:
Yes the levels are in NL format, but Dodo made them with an older version of the editor. In the past I've already converted all our levels from Lemmini to NL and it was surprisingly easy!

Cheers :D

Edit: It worked like a charm! Thank you again Kaywhyn :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 10:45:09 PM by Pieuw »

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2022, 07:06:32 AM »
Edit: It worked like a charm! Thank you again Kaywhyn :thumbsup:

Perfect! Thanks for reporting back that it worked and went without a hitch :thumbsup: I experienced similar problems with some other level packs I have played where the levels are fine in the player but crash when loading them in the editor, and I remember cleansing the levels worked, and hence that was the advice/tip I gave you :)

I definitely look forward to your future work when it's complete! :thumbsup: That reminds me, I think I will soon have a go at Icho's conversion of your Pimolems pack for New Formats NL and once I'm told all solutions are acceptable then make a video series on it showing off my solutions and providing audio commentary. I of course will provide you the link to watch it when I do so! :) I might follow that up with uploading my solutions to the Lemmini version as well, but that'll require that I go through it again on that engine, as I didn't save any of my replays that time :( No worries, though, I will get it done one way or another ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2022, 10:18:44 AM »
I of course will provide you the link to watch it when I do so! :)

I'd gladly watch this :) I re-watched Arty's le'ts play of the pack a few weeks ago, I'm very impressed with Icho's work. Plus Neolemmix makes the levels less unnecessarily tedious which is great :D

I might follow that up with uploading my solutions to the Lemmini version as well, but that'll require that I go through it again on that engine, as I didn't save any of my replays that time :(

Wow, switching back to Lemmini after getting used to NeoLemmix requires some determination! Lemmini feels so crude to me now :crylaugh: You'll be able to solve the infamous glitch levels correctly though!

I definitely look forward to your future work when it's complete! :thumbsup:

I think I'll attach a few levels to this topic soon. I'll have to select which ones :cute: I'd love to showcase some of Dodo's work but I won't do it without his consent yet. :XD:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2022, 10:56:10 PM »
Hullo :)

Still working on this here and there, but still not sure where it's going.

Dodochacalo is AWOL. I got most of his levels on my computer but I can't seem to open them with the latest version of the editor, they fire a thousand errors :XD: They're perfectly playable with the Neolemmix player though, which I find odd. I'll have to look into this!

He made almost 30 levels and I'm close to 50, which in total makes a pretty decent amount for a pack. I'll keep working on my part until I'm happy with the amount and quality of the levels. I may post some previews and demos here at some point :D

I hope everyone is doing ok :laugh:

if these levels are playable with NL and you're still looking for a tester I'll offer to attempt the levels! Great to see you around and making stuff again! I probably told you years ago but your pack inspired a lot of my own designs. :thumbsup:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain