Author Topic: General Suggestions Thread  (Read 12268 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
General Suggestions Thread
« on: October 01, 2016, 10:04:13 PM »
This is a thread where you have nice suggestions but you think wont ever happen

Lemmings Related

Mischievous Lemmings
From Lemmings touch comes these troublesome creatures, though it would be nice to make levels with such things, programing AI for em through delphi 7 sounds kinda like a nightmare

Water Lemmings
Introduced through Revolution is water lemmings, along with a unique pallet, they can walk on water, if any other types of lemmings exist on revolution that im forgetting, let me know,
That and swimmers exist, im afraid they'll be redundant

Weaponry
Used for killing Zombies without traps, they'd probably be picked up from the ground like skills along with ammo, same with knifes
-Zombies with health, a number on their head determine the number of hit they need to take before they die

Game Related

Dialogue cutscenes, splash screens, Staff roll, and intros
I kinda want a Cinematic feel for Resident GigaLems 2, with dialogue of the story that goes on between ranks, but i think it would be a nightmare for flexitool to be user friendly and look right

In game preview screen from flexitool editor
you know what i hate trying to do, make the pre/post level messages look good, because every time i write message im afraid one line is to long
this suggestion sound more plausible at least.

multiple player backgrounds
warning big photos
Example for <Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings> Menu screen would have this just focus on the background behind everything
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
this for the level preview and select
and Possibly one of these for clearing a level

Either way these are thing i'd like to see but know would never happen, what i want to know, What are your suggestion? or thoughts?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: SUGGESTIONS That sound nice, but you think will never happen
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 10:30:05 PM »
Not the place for this. This is for bug reports or serious suggestions for NeoLemmix, not "let's make crazy suggestions that we know will never happen". You're welcome to have this discussion in perhaps the Lemmings Discussion board or similar, but not here.

In game preview screen from flexitool editor
you know what i hate trying to do, make the pre/post level messages look good, because every time i write message im afraid one line is to long
this suggestion sound more plausible at least.

This one, though, is actually not a bad idea and I should probably consider it. For the record, to avoid the messages being too long, have no more than 40 characters (including spaces) per line. It may be easier to do this by editing in another editor (such as Notepad++) then copy and paste it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 10:54:24 PM »
@namida: GigaLem asked in chat where to place this post and I gave the advice to post it here. In my understanding the word "suggestions" includes all suggestions regarding additions to NeoLemmix, whether one believes they will be added or not. GigaLem lists items he wishes to have in NeoLemmix, so the post fits in this board.
Whether to add or not to add these items is a completely different question. But I find such posts worthwile, because they often contain some nice ideas or hightlight potential problems with the current system or are useful in some other way.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 11:26:33 PM »
Alright, I wasn't aware of that. I'll leave it open then. (EDIT: But after some thinking, it's really not a good fit for the bugs / suggestions board. So I've moved it to the main NeoLemmix board.)

Anything that I say could actually get added should probably be given a seperate topic, though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 12:37:18 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 11:30:25 PM »
To quickly look at your other suggestions:

Mischievous Lemmings
From Lemmings touch comes these troublesome creatures, though it would be nice to make levels with such things, programing AI for em through delphi 7 sounds kinda like a nightmare
Basically, the only difference between a regular lemming and a mischevious lemming is that if you rescue a mischevious lemming, you instantly lose. From that point of view, they would be simpler than zombies to implement. However, I'm reluctant to add any further types of lemmings. If someone can make a really convincing argument for this one, I might consider it, since it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Water Lemmings
Introduced through Revolution is water lemmings, along with a unique pallet, they can walk on water, if any other types of lemmings exist on revolution that im forgetting, let me know,
That and swimmers exist, im afraid they'll be redundant
This one is not going to happen. If you need a similar effect, you can simply make a hatch that spawns pre-assigned swimmers.
As for other types of lemmings, I think there's only the weasels, which are basically just zombies that kill lemmings instead of infecting them.

Weaponry
Used for killing Zombies without traps, they'd probably be picked up from the ground like skills along with ammo, same with knifes
-Zombies with health, a number on their head determine the number of hit they need to take before they die
Not going to happen. Far too complex and outside the general idea of lemmings.

(various stuff relating to ingame menus)
Also not going to happen. The intent is to, in time, move to a system more similar to that of Lemmini / SuperLemmini / WinLemm, where you select a level from any pack via a standard menu.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 02:40:46 AM »
I though of something for the editor

Different layouts
is there a tileset with 200+ pieces, what if you can change that layout to something like this....
(also changing the size of the tile select box would be nice, if it isn't already possible)
of for when choosing a tileset you wish you can sort them using custom folders of your own like for example

-Official
-Lemmings Plus
-Downloaded
-Your tilesets

plus
a Move selected tileset button and make new folder button

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:35:59 AM »
Different layouts
is there a tileset with 200+ pieces, what if you can change that layout to something like this....

Something like this is actually on the todo list already, albeit not as a high priority.

In regards to sorting into folders, that isn't currently on the list but is a very reasonable suggestion that could be considered.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:13:43 AM »
Thought of something new

Single use Exits or better, Exits that act like unlock switches
The whole "Achievement flag thread" gave me an idea for this

Sacrificing a Lemming to unlock an exit or something like that, could lead to some very interesting puzzles

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 11:23:22 PM »
Thought of something new

Single use Exits or better, Exits that act like unlock switches
The whole "Achievement flag thread" gave me an idea for this

Sacrificing a Lemming to unlock an exit or something like that, could lead to some very interesting puzzles

This reminds me of a interesting idea ccx wrote a long time ago: exits that limit the number of pokemon that exit/enter. After reaching this number the exit could close allowing no more lemmings to enter, sort of like the opposite of a locked exit.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 12:47:11 AM »
Sacrificing a Lemming to unlock an exit

If I understand you correctly, you kind of already can do that by burying the exit slightly below ground level requiring a bomber to expose it.  The bomber thus effectively unlocks the exit (and dies).  Of course, this approach is more vulnerable to backrouting (you need to add a skill for the unlock action, and that added skill could potentially be used elsewhere instead for backrouting; conversely, backrouting in other parts of the level could leave you with a different skill to expose the exit without having to sacrifice a lemming).

exits that limit the number of pokemon that exit/enter.

A Pokémon Go Fan, I see? ;P

Anyway, the idea of limiting exits like that (with single use exits that GigaLem mentioned being I guess an extreme case of the limit) is to encourage level designs requiring you to work out multiple paths to different exits, because you can't simply direct everyone to any single exit (as no single exit would allow enough to be saved before closing).  Currently with normal exits, there is pretty much only two ways for solutions to require actually using multiple exits (ie. within the same solution):

1) The level already has multiple entrances, so it's really just multiple streams of lemmings each heading for their own exit, rather than any two streams meeting in a single one.

2) Much less common, you may be able to create complex setups where even within one stream of lemmings, some lemmings will naturally be separated from the rest of the crowd over the course of the solution, and then limits on time and/or skills availabaility somehow makes it such that those stragglers have to use a different exit (while also making sure that you can't simply just start out having everyone use that 2nd exit instead), rather than simply being redirected back to the same exit the rest of the crowd uses.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 04:06:30 AM »
It's been a while since I played it, but doesn't Ducks use exits that only allow so many Ducks in?

Also, you should totally stack bridges. Nothing could possibly go wrong with that plan.

(useless internet points to whoever understands that reference)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 06:50:01 AM »
It's been a while since I played it, but doesn't Ducks use exits that only allow so many Ducks in?

Ducks works a bit differently in regards to save requirements in general. Each exit requires a certain number of ducks - anywhere from 1 to 5. To complete the level, you must fill every exit; it doesn't matter if you end up with surplus ducks afterwards, and indeed there's no way to save any that do remain.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 04:56:01 AM »
New skills:

Flipper - reverses gravity for a lemming, causing them to fall straight up until they hit the ceiling (they can splat). They then can work upside-down to help the other lemmings.

Gunner - after assigning this skill to a lemming, you click somewhere on the screen, and the lemming will shoot a gun to that point. The bullet makes a very tiny hole in terrain and can destroy terrain with opposing one-way arrows as well as steel.

Ladder - causes a lemming to build a ladder straight up (travels much higher than a stacker). Lemmings who hit the ladder's trigger area(s) will climb to the top and walk off. Useful for getting up high quickly and in narrow areas. Lemmings can climb the ladder while it is being built.

Rock climber - a climber that can climb up uneven walls, and even ceilings.

Repeller - a permanent skill that makes a lemming repel down a wall when it falls down next to one. The repeller turns around and starts walking if there is an opening in the wall.

Stopper - freezes a lemming in timespace. They will start moving normally when you click on them again.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »
Reverse gravity has been discussed in the past. It would be quite complex to implement, which is why it hasn't happened.

I want to avoid skills that require further input beyond simply selecting the lemming. This would rule out the Gunner and Stopper.

Rapeller, Rock Climber and Ladderer would have no inherent reason against them, but I'm not going to introduce further new skills too lightly.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 09:18:54 PM »
The fact that the success/failure melodies packed with current NeoLemmix (and played after a level ends) come from the outstanding SMS Lemmings port, reminds me of the Menu music of that version, and also of the classic "March Of The Mods", present in some ports as an Intro theme or as an Ending melody (like Sega Mega Drive/Genesis).

Do you think having a Intro/Ending tune for the NeoLemmix would be a popular and pleasant idea, or just annoying and unnecessary (or a mid-term)?