Author Topic: General Suggestions Thread  (Read 12255 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
General Suggestions Thread
« on: October 01, 2016, 10:04:13 PM »
This is a thread where you have nice suggestions but you think wont ever happen

Lemmings Related

Mischievous Lemmings
From Lemmings touch comes these troublesome creatures, though it would be nice to make levels with such things, programing AI for em through delphi 7 sounds kinda like a nightmare

Water Lemmings
Introduced through Revolution is water lemmings, along with a unique pallet, they can walk on water, if any other types of lemmings exist on revolution that im forgetting, let me know,
That and swimmers exist, im afraid they'll be redundant

Weaponry
Used for killing Zombies without traps, they'd probably be picked up from the ground like skills along with ammo, same with knifes
-Zombies with health, a number on their head determine the number of hit they need to take before they die

Game Related

Dialogue cutscenes, splash screens, Staff roll, and intros
I kinda want a Cinematic feel for Resident GigaLems 2, with dialogue of the story that goes on between ranks, but i think it would be a nightmare for flexitool to be user friendly and look right

In game preview screen from flexitool editor
you know what i hate trying to do, make the pre/post level messages look good, because every time i write message im afraid one line is to long
this suggestion sound more plausible at least.

multiple player backgrounds
warning big photos
Example for <Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings> Menu screen would have this just focus on the background behind everything
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
this for the level preview and select
and Possibly one of these for clearing a level

Either way these are thing i'd like to see but know would never happen, what i want to know, What are your suggestion? or thoughts?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: SUGGESTIONS That sound nice, but you think will never happen
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 10:30:05 PM »
Not the place for this. This is for bug reports or serious suggestions for NeoLemmix, not "let's make crazy suggestions that we know will never happen". You're welcome to have this discussion in perhaps the Lemmings Discussion board or similar, but not here.

In game preview screen from flexitool editor
you know what i hate trying to do, make the pre/post level messages look good, because every time i write message im afraid one line is to long
this suggestion sound more plausible at least.

This one, though, is actually not a bad idea and I should probably consider it. For the record, to avoid the messages being too long, have no more than 40 characters (including spaces) per line. It may be easier to do this by editing in another editor (such as Notepad++) then copy and paste it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 10:54:24 PM »
@namida: GigaLem asked in chat where to place this post and I gave the advice to post it here. In my understanding the word "suggestions" includes all suggestions regarding additions to NeoLemmix, whether one believes they will be added or not. GigaLem lists items he wishes to have in NeoLemmix, so the post fits in this board.
Whether to add or not to add these items is a completely different question. But I find such posts worthwile, because they often contain some nice ideas or hightlight potential problems with the current system or are useful in some other way.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 11:26:33 PM »
Alright, I wasn't aware of that. I'll leave it open then. (EDIT: But after some thinking, it's really not a good fit for the bugs / suggestions board. So I've moved it to the main NeoLemmix board.)

Anything that I say could actually get added should probably be given a seperate topic, though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 12:37:18 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 11:30:25 PM »
To quickly look at your other suggestions:

Mischievous Lemmings
From Lemmings touch comes these troublesome creatures, though it would be nice to make levels with such things, programing AI for em through delphi 7 sounds kinda like a nightmare
Basically, the only difference between a regular lemming and a mischevious lemming is that if you rescue a mischevious lemming, you instantly lose. From that point of view, they would be simpler than zombies to implement. However, I'm reluctant to add any further types of lemmings. If someone can make a really convincing argument for this one, I might consider it, since it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Water Lemmings
Introduced through Revolution is water lemmings, along with a unique pallet, they can walk on water, if any other types of lemmings exist on revolution that im forgetting, let me know,
This one is not going to happen. If you need a similar effect, you can simply make a hatch that spawns pre-assigned swimmers.
As for other types of lemmings, I think there's only the weasels, which are basically just zombies that kill lemmings instead of infecting them.

Weaponry
Used for killing Zombies without traps, they'd probably be picked up from the ground like skills along with ammo, same with knifes
-Zombies with health, a number on their head determine the number of hit they need to take before they die
Not going to happen. Far too complex and outside the general idea of lemmings.

(various stuff relating to ingame menus)
Also not going to happen. The intent is to, in time, move to a system more similar to that of Lemmini / SuperLemmini / WinLemm, where you select a level from any pack via a standard menu.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 02:40:46 AM »
I though of something for the editor

Different layouts
is there a tileset with 200+ pieces, what if you can change that layout to something like this....
(also changing the size of the tile select box would be nice, if it isn't already possible)
of for when choosing a tileset you wish you can sort them using custom folders of your own like for example

-Official
-Lemmings Plus
-Downloaded
-Your tilesets

plus
a Move selected tileset button and make new folder button

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:35:59 AM »
Different layouts
is there a tileset with 200+ pieces, what if you can change that layout to something like this....

Something like this is actually on the todo list already, albeit not as a high priority.

In regards to sorting into folders, that isn't currently on the list but is a very reasonable suggestion that could be considered.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:13:43 AM »
Thought of something new

Single use Exits or better, Exits that act like unlock switches
The whole "Achievement flag thread" gave me an idea for this

Sacrificing a Lemming to unlock an exit or something like that, could lead to some very interesting puzzles

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 11:23:22 PM »
Thought of something new

Single use Exits or better, Exits that act like unlock switches
The whole "Achievement flag thread" gave me an idea for this

Sacrificing a Lemming to unlock an exit or something like that, could lead to some very interesting puzzles

This reminds me of a interesting idea ccx wrote a long time ago: exits that limit the number of pokemon that exit/enter. After reaching this number the exit could close allowing no more lemmings to enter, sort of like the opposite of a locked exit.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 12:47:11 AM »
Sacrificing a Lemming to unlock an exit

If I understand you correctly, you kind of already can do that by burying the exit slightly below ground level requiring a bomber to expose it.  The bomber thus effectively unlocks the exit (and dies).  Of course, this approach is more vulnerable to backrouting (you need to add a skill for the unlock action, and that added skill could potentially be used elsewhere instead for backrouting; conversely, backrouting in other parts of the level could leave you with a different skill to expose the exit without having to sacrifice a lemming).

exits that limit the number of pokemon that exit/enter.

A Pokémon Go Fan, I see? ;P

Anyway, the idea of limiting exits like that (with single use exits that GigaLem mentioned being I guess an extreme case of the limit) is to encourage level designs requiring you to work out multiple paths to different exits, because you can't simply direct everyone to any single exit (as no single exit would allow enough to be saved before closing).  Currently with normal exits, there is pretty much only two ways for solutions to require actually using multiple exits (ie. within the same solution):

1) The level already has multiple entrances, so it's really just multiple streams of lemmings each heading for their own exit, rather than any two streams meeting in a single one.

2) Much less common, you may be able to create complex setups where even within one stream of lemmings, some lemmings will naturally be separated from the rest of the crowd over the course of the solution, and then limits on time and/or skills availabaility somehow makes it such that those stragglers have to use a different exit (while also making sure that you can't simply just start out having everyone use that 2nd exit instead), rather than simply being redirected back to the same exit the rest of the crowd uses.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 04:06:30 AM »
It's been a while since I played it, but doesn't Ducks use exits that only allow so many Ducks in?

Also, you should totally stack bridges. Nothing could possibly go wrong with that plan.

(useless internet points to whoever understands that reference)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 06:50:01 AM »
It's been a while since I played it, but doesn't Ducks use exits that only allow so many Ducks in?

Ducks works a bit differently in regards to save requirements in general. Each exit requires a certain number of ducks - anywhere from 1 to 5. To complete the level, you must fill every exit; it doesn't matter if you end up with surplus ducks afterwards, and indeed there's no way to save any that do remain.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 04:56:01 AM »
New skills:

Flipper - reverses gravity for a lemming, causing them to fall straight up until they hit the ceiling (they can splat). They then can work upside-down to help the other lemmings.

Gunner - after assigning this skill to a lemming, you click somewhere on the screen, and the lemming will shoot a gun to that point. The bullet makes a very tiny hole in terrain and can destroy terrain with opposing one-way arrows as well as steel.

Ladder - causes a lemming to build a ladder straight up (travels much higher than a stacker). Lemmings who hit the ladder's trigger area(s) will climb to the top and walk off. Useful for getting up high quickly and in narrow areas. Lemmings can climb the ladder while it is being built.

Rock climber - a climber that can climb up uneven walls, and even ceilings.

Repeller - a permanent skill that makes a lemming repel down a wall when it falls down next to one. The repeller turns around and starts walking if there is an opening in the wall.

Stopper - freezes a lemming in timespace. They will start moving normally when you click on them again.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »
Reverse gravity has been discussed in the past. It would be quite complex to implement, which is why it hasn't happened.

I want to avoid skills that require further input beyond simply selecting the lemming. This would rule out the Gunner and Stopper.

Rapeller, Rock Climber and Ladderer would have no inherent reason against them, but I'm not going to introduce further new skills too lightly.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 09:18:54 PM »
The fact that the success/failure melodies packed with current NeoLemmix (and played after a level ends) come from the outstanding SMS Lemmings port, reminds me of the Menu music of that version, and also of the classic "March Of The Mods", present in some ports as an Intro theme or as an Ending melody (like Sega Mega Drive/Genesis).

Do you think having a Intro/Ending tune for the NeoLemmix would be a popular and pleasant idea, or just annoying and unnecessary (or a mid-term)?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 10:45:56 PM »
Do you think having a Intro/Ending tune for the NeoLemmix would be a popular and pleasant idea, or just annoying and unnecessary (or a mid-term)?

Having the tunes don't make sense unless there is also support for an actual Intro/Ending sequence, or at least a screen for each.  (Maybe those exist already; as you know I haven't done much with NL so far. :-[)

While I'm sure some (maybe many?) people will find it more on the annoying/unnecessary side, I guess as long as no one is forced to go through the intro every time they want to play the set, it is not a terrible feature in and of itself.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 11:15:29 PM »
The fact that the success/failure melodies packed with current NeoLemmix (and played after a level ends) come from the outstanding SMS Lemmings port, reminds me of the Menu music of that version, and also of the classic "March Of The Mods", present in some ports as an Intro theme or as an Ending melody (like Sega Mega Drive/Genesis).

I don't get exactly what you mean by this; when would this music play? when you open the game or begin a level? I'm okay with having music play in between levels or on the menu screen; as long as it's configurable (turn on and off)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 03:22:14 AM »
Ah I see, I didn't think of having it played on the preview screen and on the post-view ("you saved <blah>...") screen.  If that's what you meant, I guess it's fine as long as people can choose to turn it off (w/o having to turn off all music altogether).  At least some console versions of Lemmings do that, so it's possible some people may even prefer that to the silence that is standard on DOS and Amiga versions for those screens.  (And also, by Lemmings 2 you do get music in more, if not all, of the various outside-of-level screens.)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
SUGGESTIONS I thought of after the poll started
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 05:34:55 AM »
Figured I make this topic active again because I thought of something too late

[New skill] Reimpliment the Ghosts, but as a permanent skill instead "Spiriter"
If you ask me, Neutral Lemmings are the reverse of this. You can't save them, but you can assign skills to them.

[New skill] "Revitalizer" this revives Zombies and Ghosts with a simple click, I was also thinking if Skill converters were a thing, It would be the only time they have opposite effects
Removers can turn lemmings into zombies, Converters can revive zombified lemmings

[Object] New Spliter types, This either seperates lemmings by...
-if they have a skill attached
-what skills they have (normal lemmings ignore it, you can only have two skills be separated)
-If the lemming is a zombie or not (zombies will be sent away while Alive lemmings are sent to safety)

[Object+Gameplay] One way Up/Down fields + Have Floaters ascend Updrafts
The idea here is, having a pseudo elevator. Lemmings can walk one it as well. while if the field is pointed down, it acts like a ceiling
and for the second part, the floater will ascend the updraft and if the floater touches a ceiling it'll be sent into "Special Fall" (Yes im using Smash terms for Lemmings) where any floaters will be falling despite having an umbrella, this will only happen if they hit a ceilling, or if they come into contact with any terrain.
Alt idea Once they reach the apex of the updraft, they'll slowly float back down

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 08:10:51 PM »
Water Lemmings

This was a surprisingly interesting mechanic in Revolution despite myself finding it very weird at first:
(a more realistic approach imo would be the lemmings either swimming or walked UNDER the water. That is; from a design standpoint; basically ignoring it altogether)

-Water Lemmings can fall onto water from any height without splatting.
-this worked in tandem with the pool mechanic on many levels, to pretty nice effect.

swimmer do make this somewhat redundant. Especially if the pool mechanic was implemented; unless my second suggestion (walking along bottom of water pools). Then you could have buttons underwater etc, that can only be reached by a water lemming but not a swimmer.

There was one other type of Lemming; acid lemmings. But they're essentially the same except they can walk on acid but not water. (and visa versa for water lemmings). A couple of clever puzzles used both of these in tandem.

//In revolution you had essentially three distinct types of water objects: water, acid and lava. Lava cannot be traversed by anyone (despite what the stupid game manual says).

-the other unique thing about this mechanic is that they could only enter respective exits OR the multi-use exit.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 09:46:59 PM »
[New skill] Reimpliment the Ghosts, but as a permanent skill instead "Spiriter"

I've started toying around with ghosts in my "Lemmicks" levels on the 1.43 editor. Indeed they seem to be the reverse of what is being considered to implement today as "neutral lemmings". A "spirit" as a skill however to me feels like it should be able to walk through walls. :D Oftentimes, you can send single lemmings ahead if you only have 1 climber / floater / glider / swimmer / disarmer. Removing terrain however is always a temporary skill with a permanent effect. A "spirit lemming" that could pass through walls sideways (not vertically, it would still require solid terrain beneath its feet) would be the opposite: a permanent skill with no damage to the terrain. In line with actual destructive skills, it shouldn't be able to pass through steel.

You just gave me that idea with your post, actually! :) I think that would be a sweet way to get a pioneer lemming somewhere without always having to play this old "bash first, then put a blocker there right away again" thing.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 10:48:51 PM »
Thought of Two more Skills

Suffacer - Assign this to a lemming when climbing, the lemming will dig straight upwards

Tiler (Until a better name comes up) - Builds downwards

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 12:54:08 AM »
I'm now somewhat curious how a hypothetical Tiler implementation would work. What sort of terrain could you assign it on, and how specifically would it build downwards, i.e. is it more like a downwards builder or a downwards stacker?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 06:46:05 AM »
I'm now somewhat curious how a hypothetical Tiler implementation would work.

I read it and basically thought of L3's builder, which if one recalls, on assignment you can choose the direction to go, to get stacker (vertical), platformer (horizontal) and builder (diagonally upward), as well as a diagonally downward bridge.  That last one would presumably be Giga's skill.  It would of course have to start from a ledge.  The only direction L3 builder can't go is straight down, because the ground's in the way.  Any possible "downward stacker" skill would have to deal with that issue.

[edit: fix a mix-up]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:00:48 AM by ccexplore »

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 07:45:45 AM »
I'm now somewhat curious how a hypothetical Tiler implementation would work.

I read it and basically thought of L3's builder, which if one recalls, on assignment you can choose the direction to go, to get stacker (vertical), platformer (horizontal) and builder (diagonally upward), as well as a diagonally downward bridge.  That last one would presumably be Giga's skill.  It would of course have to start from a ledge.  The only direction L3 builder can't go is straight down, because the ground's in the way.  Any possible "downward stacker" skill would have to deal with that issue.

[edit: fix a mix-up]

To be clear here, it builds downwards diagonally, so instead of going up like a normal builder, it goes down

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 09:59:47 AM »
I thought of something similar to your surfacer a while ago. Tying it to a climber however seems to be somewhat limited to me (like the runner usually only being useful in combination with the jumper). That's why I suggested to make a version of the L2 Twister which goes straight up. It would either require to make a terrain check at the Lemming's head rather than its feet, or to jump up a certain height, like it's being discussed for the Shimmier. More importantly, once the Lemming is finished performing the skill, it would have to move a couple of pixels in the direction it is facing, to prevent it from falling straight down again. Similarly to the digger, the Lemming would be in the centre of the shaft it is creating. It also couldn't be allowed to check for terrain beneath its feet during skill performance, like with the builder.

Speaking of building, about the downward thing: Wouldn't that be a case for the L2 Roper? Obviously, it can create upward and downward slopes, as well as horizontal plains, so it can easily break levels if the creator is not careful. However, I found the limitation of the distance the hook of the rope can travel, as well as the maximum angles of the rope, to make the skill a fair one overall. From all projectile-based skills, I consider this the most useful one, a lot more versatile than the thrower, bazooka and other projectile-skills which have already been promoted.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 10:06:58 AM »
To be clear here, it builds downwards diagonally, so instead of going up like a normal builder, it goes down

I really like this idea! :thumbsup:

This could really be a thing worthy of a serious suggestion!

As ccexplore said, it would need to start from a ledge of course, but I don't see this as a problem. Maybe it can also even go 12 steps just as a builder. ???

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 11:44:43 AM »
Some slight differences to the builder might not be too bad, though. I think every skill should have something unique about it. The fencer and the miner are also similar, but the angles are different, and also the tunnel created by the fencer is much smaller than that of the miner. For example, a fencer tunnel can be closed with a stacker, a basher tunnel barely can't, and a miner shaft leaves quite a bit of space there.

That's why we refer to the fencer as the fencer today, and not as "the upward miner" :D . I legitimately can't think of a catchy name for a downward builder currently. "Tiler" seems to be a more temporary placeholder to me; when I think of someone laying tiles, that usually happens in a plain setting, more similar to the platformer.

If we want to introduce straight-up reversed building without any changes to the skill itself, I'd say a much more interesting and generally applicable way would be to introduce lemmings walking upside-down - either via the Lemmings Revolution gravity reversal object, or via the skill of the magno booter. In the latter case, it would differ from the L2 version in that one could assign skills to it also while on the side or upside down.

That would blow the doors open for a lot more possibilities than "only" making an exact downward-moving copy of the builder.
My packs so far:

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 09:28:26 PM »
I love both of these skill ideas GigaLem, although the downward builder has more puzzle-potential. How about calling the downward builder a "sloper" or "ramper"?
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 10:36:36 PM »
How about calling the downward builder a "sloper" or "ramper"?

Fine name suggestions, indeed.

And guess what you get when you put "sloper" and "ramper" together? ;)

q.e.d., I'd say :) !
My packs so far:

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »
Slomper.

One thing I'd like to see in NL are different animations for builder, platformer and stacker. :)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »
I like floorer. Some good names coming up.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2017, 12:04:43 PM »
The thing with sloper and ramper is, as good as they sound as skill names on their own, they both make me think of a straight diagonal line, rather than a staircase. :/
My packs so far:

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2017, 05:01:15 PM »
One thing I'd like to see in NL are different animations for builder, platformer and stacker. :)
Once someone creates these sprites and sends them to me, you will actually see this. The only condition: The number of frames has to stay the same and the sprites have to respect the game physics.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2017, 12:44:24 AM »
Thought of this while responding to the Mania thread

"Finite Spliter" - Give it a number and it'll allow that number of lemmings to pass until it shuts down

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2017, 01:54:48 AM »
now time to unleash my huge document of epicness I'd been working on for a long time (when I was very bored)

Adjustments for L2 skills If they were added to NeoLemmix

Inspired by kieran’s detailed post on all of the L2 skills here are my thoughts on the L2 skills as well, but not merely my thoughts on them; but what would have to happen for me to be happy with being implemented into Neolemmix.

stacker, glider, fencer, shimmier, runner, or the original 8 I will not include these here as they are already in the game or being discussed elsewhere in detail.

Skills I don’t care for at all/don’t see any use or need for in NL:

-diver; identical in function to jumper
-superlem: it feels totally like a novelty thing to me that isn’t all that fun or puzzle worthy in practice and doesn’t fit in well with the rest of the game
-the fan function and reliant skills: some of the fan skills I included below; this is only if they are modified to not rely on the fan. Same comment as above with the superlem. Those I do not mention I don’t care for at all.

-the chain. Same comment as above with the superlem.
-twister. Hate this skill. hate. I raged so much in the short time I’ve played L2 mainly with this skill!! But basically; same reasoning as superlem.
-pole vaulter: actually has an interesting use, but as pointed out before; it ultimately takes up quite a large amount of game work/space/bulk to lesser effect and it requires a layout that makes it obvious where it needs to be used. MAYBE if this skill were significantly modified I’d consider it. But then it would probably no longer be a pollvaulter. I actually could see this skill working somewhat; basically as a jumper but with a greater range of height and distance.
-scooper, stomper, club basher, flamethrower: identical in function as miner/digger/basher but worse.
filler: atm I’m agreeing with Nepster that it’s just not very useful. That is; the sand pourer and glue pourer can do what it does better and with more novelty.

*note: maybe if the whole fanning mechanic was greatly improved it wouldn't be so bad :-\

jumper
a few changes I would like from L2:
-get rid of “stunning”. If a jumper hits the ceiling he simply comes back down and walks on. His jump should be shortened but not.

slider
I like this skill a lot. I’m not sure atm there’s anything I would change. Although it seems a little glitchy in L2 when going over uneven terrain.

flyer
-icarus wings, magic carpet, parachute, hang glider jet pack etc: all these skills can be grouped into “flyer” skills. These are my thoughts on it:
To pick one (easiest one to think about atm) the “Icarus Wings” I’d call it something else a little more fitting though like “flyer”
-First; remove need for fan to control any of these skills.
-Click on a walker lemming and it flies horizontally across the level. Around same speed as walking lemmings; maybe a little faster, maybe as fast as a runner. He continues as long as there is air, he stops when he hits a wall or floor close enough to walk on.
This actually sounds fairly simple to me, difficult to test because most L2 levels need you to guide these skills with the fan. But I think this could work pretty nicely; in combination with intricate level design and the other skills.
Updrafts could affect this skill. Making the flyer go upwards while also going horizontal.

ballooner
-similar to flyer but lemming goes diagonally up instead of horizontal. Going straight up would be useless; requiring the player to always build underneath the ballooner as he’s floating or requiring a change to mechanics; making ballooner go through terrain or something which I’m not fond of at all. Going up at a 45 or steeper angle (something like the hang-glider in reverse) seems pretty useful.
Updrafts could affect this skill as well. Make the ballooner go straight upwards instead of horizontal perhaps, not sure yet.
-Balloon pops when hits ceiling or wall.
-you should be able to assign ballooners in mid air. (in similar vein to floaters)
-An additional optional feature: a special post or some device with an indication. If this post is present then ballooning on said level the ballooner will instead be drawn to it (no matter the direction). Should terrain be in the way the balloon will hit it and pop. This would be the simplest implementation but may not lead to the most interesting results. Not sure atm though how else to sort that out. “seeking” a path through complicated terrain sounds incredibly sketchy.

attractor
-the attractor’s area of effect is way too large. It needs to be much smaller. I don’t see a need for it to be very large.
-The clumping effect is very powerful yes; this doesn’t necessarily mean it’s too powerful. It doesn’t even matter for example in a level with (or simply used on a group) or 2 or 3 lemmings, which it may still be very useful for. If you don’t want lemmings clumping together then you still have the blocker.

sand pourer:
Earlier I said I think if pourer skills were added condense them into one. I changed my mind; I’m not so sure that’s even possible let alone a good idea now. I think sand pourer has merit with some changes.
First the benefits/uniqueness it has:
-Builder goes right there where lemming is; sand pourer can get to place far below lemming.
-Builder can act as a diverter of sorts, sand pourer cannot. Sand pourer can also act as a builder from both sides (two builders in one).
-sand pourer can add a bulk of terrain quickly (to fill holes or extend bashers, diggers etc.)

Changes I propose:
-lemming should not turn around or get stuck in the terrain it creates.
-I think the height gained should be comparable to builder. It’s similar to builder but with crucial differences in execution and effect.
-I may add more things here as I experiment with this skill more.
-get rid of issue where you cannot pour when the ceiling is too close. Lemming should ignore ceiling; the animation doesn’t affect the ceiling; only the terrain affects the level; if sand reaches ceiling it simple stops and plugs up any space there. Same for glue pourer.

glue pourer
no comments yet.

twister (ccexplore’s (or someone elses?) idea)
not to be confused with the L2’s twister which is terrible. :P This is a vertical upwards digger. The only important thing here is that this lemming be allowed to bash/mine/fence from mid air. A couple of things need to happen in order for this to be possible:
-I propose creating a special case for this skill; bashers or any skill such as this should not be allowed to happen while lemming is standing on nothing, but for a brief time when the twister is working and in mid air he can bash. During the brief time while he bashes before he can walk as normal he cannot be assigned other skills (except for ones that make sense like climber).
-If the twister hits steel he stops and immediately falls (transitioning to a normal faller).
-if the twister reaches air it stops and immediately falls. [or maybe walks on if there is terrain there to walk on?)

laser blaster
I like the idea of this skill as one that can bash/dig/mine from a distance. I have a couple of different ideas all of which are quite different from L2 mechanics:

1) this operates a little like the archer or roper; you can select 8 directions (or maybe five, depending on the direction the lemming is facing) then laser blast and dig away in a straight line to some distance (To be highlighted with a shadow). This has the benefit of being able to bash across a gap for example where a lemming might not be able to get to otherwise.

roper
no comments yet.

throwing skills
includes: spear thrower, archer, thrower etc. All these can be grouped into “thrower” skills; a skill that generates terrain at a distance (sort of the opposite of the laser blaster).
Thrower and spearer are simple enough; [unfinished]

magno booter
Omni-directional gravity must be implemented for this skill to work. For (simplicities?) sake I propose only implementing four directions. [right sideup, upside down, right and left]
-the magno booter can never fall (unless walking into a gravity pad perhaps). This has good pros and cons: he can get around to difficult to reach areas.
-he can become stuck on an independent area, with only means of escaping using a skill (building or jumping etc)
-the magno booters walking animation may look different; but should otherwise be identical to other walkers (same speed etc).

Besides the Omni-directional gravity, there’s another problem: exactly how and when does the magno booter change directions? If he’s walking around a square block; it’s simple. But if he’s walking around rugged terrain it’s difficult to decide. I don’t have any good ideas atm.

Thought of this while responding to the Mania thread

"Finite Spliter" - Give it a number and it'll allow that number of lemmings to pass until it shuts down

could you elaborate on this a little bit? I don't get it.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2017, 04:26:35 AM »
@Mobius
Basically the "Finite Spliter" would only work for a # of lemmings you allow it to.
You assign the number 12 to it, it'll only split 12 lemmings and then it stop working

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2017, 12:30:44 PM »
making ballooner go through terrain or something which I’m not fond of at all.

Wow, I can't believe I never considered the ballooner, an existing skill, as an option regarding the upward digger! A skill which simply moves vertically upwards and takes the lemming with it (rather than just shooting from below as the laser blaster does).

Of course, the idea of going through terrain doesn't make sense with something as fragile as an air balloon ;) . Which is why I'd suggest something like a "rocketeer" instead, which would simply move the same way as the ballooner, but be able to blast through terrain (and stop at a certain height once no terrain is above its head anymore).

Again, the lemming would have to move a couple of pixels in the direction he's facing before finishing the skill, because otherwise he'd just drop straight down again. The ballooner in L2 circumvents this problem due to the presence of the fan, which allows you to blow the lemming to the left or right. But if you don't want that execution madness, the "finishing motion" needs to be implemented into the skill itself.

While I agree this skill should interact with some type of updraft objects, updrafts themselves wouldn't really make sense for a vertically moving skill, would they? Because the skill moves upwards anyway, in contrast to the glider which normally moves downwards. Updrafts only reverse the natural motion of direction for gliders, and slow down the falls, thereby increasing maximum fall heights, for non-gliders and -floaters. For ballooners or rocketeers, they could accelerate the speed of ascension, but nothing more.

So consequently, a vertically upwards moving skill would only get altered in its effect by updrafts turned sideways - or even separate objects called "sidedrafts". A more logical term would probably simply be "wind" :) , blowing from the left or the right. Now, if the logic explained above would apply to updrafts, i.e. raising the rising speed of ballooners, perhaps wind would also increase the speed of other horizontally moving skills, like bashers / swimmers / platformers.

Then again, currently fencers aren't accelerated by updrafts.

I'm just thinking of this due to my attempts at creating a complete Speedy Eggbert graphic set, which has wind objects going into all four directions. The upward wind I will simply use as updrafts, but horizontal wind, at least in Speedy Eggbert, speeds up all kinds of actions (or slows them down if you face in the other direction).
My packs so far:

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 05:22:05 AM »
Two things, I'll change the name of the topic to "General suggestion topic"

and lastly I fell that there coulld be more destructive Neo skills (upon others) so here it goes

I suggested this one before but I'm suggest it again (gonna suggest some others too)
Surfacer - Until a better name is chosen, a Surfacer allows Lemmings to temporarily climb and dig straight upwards, if the lemming is already a climber its a simple as clicking the climber

Dynamiter - Think of a limited basher, each blast goes quite a ways, but you only have 12 sticks of dynamite

Chipper - If it sees a ledge or a set of ledges each of them at least 7 pixels, the lemming will chip off some terrain to make the ledge scale-able

non-destructive

Sloper  - Anyone remember my downwards builder Idea? yeah this is the idea! builds a set of 12 bricks downwards.

Ladderer - A builder that builds steep stairs, used for tight spaces

Re-inventions

Disarmers - Add the ability to lock the exit without buttons and you need to use the disarmer to open it. If a zombie is a disarmer allow it close locked exits and reactivate traps

Gliders - if assigned on the ground while in front of an updraft, the lemming will go straight upwards for about 64 pixels