Author Topic: Revenge of the Lemmings 3.0  (Read 26500 times)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: Revenge of the Lemmings 3.0
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2016, 10:44:04 PM »
In that case I'd consider Split Complementaries' talisman to be bronze-level, maybe silver given the level's difficulty.  Hard to be sure with the higher ratings.

:tal-bronze: Split Complementaries - 20 Builders

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2016, 07:09:08 PM »
In that case I'd consider Split Complementaries' talisman to be bronze-level, maybe silver given the level's difficulty.  Hard to be sure with the higher ratings.

:tal-bronze: Split Complementaries - 20 Builders

There's no hard-and-fast rule, it's generally up to the content creator how they'll assign their talismans; but for me, I generally think in terms of "how hard is this relative to the level's usual solution", not "how hard is this in absolute terms". There are some exceptions of course - for example, most of my packs give away a free gold talisman for simply completing the final level (there are some that don't, though).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2016, 05:05:20 AM »
That certainly makes sense.  And I have to be careful because this is möbius' pack, first and foremost, and I don't want my enthusiasm to encroach on his work and plans.

In this instance, I would still consider it bronze-level since it's easy enough to save the lemmings required, but with just the extra difficulty of being conservative with your builders and seeing where you can trade them for other skills, or allowing extra lemmings to be sacrificed.  By the time the player reaches that level, it should be a relatively straightforward challenge.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2016, 09:23:01 PM »
That certainly makes sense.  And I have to be careful because this is möbius' pack, first and foremost, and I don't want my enthusiasm to encroach on his work and plans.

You don't have to worry about that. Honestly; I would *really* be happy if someone stepped up and said "I'll take over as project leader and finish it up." What's left to do is just a lot of tedium that I don't really feel like doing right now, plus my time is so limited. I'd much rather work on my own pack which is in sad shape right now. I guess I thought at first that there wasn't as much work to do as there really is.

Here are the major things that need to be done:
-fixing backroutes [not a lot are left but not all of namida's have been addressed]
-remaking/fixing some of Proxima's Cheapo levels
-fix and outline the talismans
-order the levels
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2016, 03:17:12 AM »
I can't say I can take over and do everything either because, like you, I don't have that much free time, as I have a full-time job and am working on other projects, mostly involving programming of some kind.

I can, however, submit the occasional backroute-patched level, at least what I think is backroute-patched, make suggestions here and there and select music tracks like I did last time, for example, so I can help share the workload.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2016, 07:25:09 PM »
I've decided to work on this again so that I can finish it as soon as possible. I'm afraid I'll not be including some of the recent suggestions like trying for a custom graphic level in every rank. Putting them together is difficult and I want to just focus on getting the pack backroute fixed, and the existing levels fixed, and get the talismans ready. If at some later date; I or anyone else has more suggestions of levels to fix/offer I will update the pack again. [Probably will be updating later anyway because more backroutes you know :P ]

to be clear these levels *have* been added; Crane's Deepfreeze, a couple of Wafflem's suggetsions and Fall Guy by BulletRide (replacing Almost Easy).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2016, 02:54:52 PM »
Considering making "From the Brink" an easy level (save 74) with the original solution being a achievement, (save 76). Any thoughts? I'm not sure it's a great idea; saving 74 is pretty trivial if you're the least bit good at lemmings I think and kind of spoils the main point of the level, partly because it seems like not that many people pay close attention to achievements from what I've seen on video anyway.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »
Hmm, hiding the core idea in achievements is bad, you've already explained why.

If you want fewer trick levels, cut the level entirely.
If you want more easy levels, find or make easy levels.

If you insist on re-using the terrain and skillset, at least give a new name to the easier level. If you easened From the Brink without renaming, everybody would have to specify whether they mean the easy version or Clam's version. Clam's version is well-known.

-- Simon

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2016, 01:30:18 AM »
I personally would leave "From the Brink" as the final level with its unique and difficult solution.  I don't know about others, but part of me thinks that if the core idea is hidden in an achievement, there is a risk that people will dismiss it as a bug and hence impossible to get, whereas if the level itself appears impossible to complete, it's less likely to be dismissed as a bug, especially if it's the last one because something like that would not be overlooked.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2016, 01:34:16 AM »
I decided not to do this. Not sure why I proposed the idea actually. And I need to stop proposing ideas and then all but dismissing them myself in the initial post... :XD:

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2016, 05:34:48 AM »
Nothing wrong with discussions and throwing ideas into the cauldron.  This is your development topic after all.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2016, 08:14:35 PM »
I'm sorry to announce this but I'm not going to finish this project. The only way this will be updated is if somebody else does it. I simply have absolutely no more interest in this or in basically the work of maintaining a levelpack this large.

If you want to play this levelpack simply download the older version:
http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2203.0

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2016, 09:51:17 AM »
Aww, that is a shame.  I will be willing to pick up the slack.  Holiday Lemmings '16 has given me some practice in using the FlexiToolkit.