Author Topic: Revenge of the Lemmings 3.0  (Read 26699 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of the Lemmings 3000
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2016, 02:43:45 PM »
@Wafflem; that is the solution to Top Shelf :thumbsup: good work. That level is very hard.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll remove the main tutorials and maybe some of the repeats which aren't that popular. [and welcome some suggestions on new levels to add]
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2016, 03:44:01 PM »
Wouldn't a better backroute patch to make the floor only a pixel thick around the trapdoor's vicinity?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 10:50:38 PM by Crane »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2016, 03:58:32 PM »
Or just reduce the number of lemmings.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2016, 04:15:34 PM »
excellent ideas! Nobody's had those until now :lem-mindblown: .

Note: for anyone making changes to levels if you upload a level here please use the following format for titling the file: XXX level title here. XXX being three numbers used to identify the level's place. Example: 305 = third rank, fifth level.

I'm not sure about this no---I'm trying to find a better way to organize the levels. Just title them for now and don't bother with numbers if you want.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 04:34:38 PM by möbius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2016, 04:45:04 PM »
I've played through Revenge of the Lemmings a couple of times. Note that I have not beaten all the levels, but I feel I can notice when a hard level is in an easy rank. Here are my thoughts on what levels should be changed:

Hootenanny (click to show/hide)

Devious (click to show/hide)

Frenzy (click to show/hide)

Pain (click to show/hide)

Carnage (click to show/hide)

Armageddon (click to show/hide)

Did you beat "Lem Ramp Scam"? the only reason this is in Hootenanny is because it was a secret. As a regular level IMO it's more of a Pain or even Carnage level. This level is quite unique and I really like it btw.

Do we have the Lemmings 2 Classic music in this pack? I don't remember that being in.
I'll change the title back to Someone must help us!
I put Take it Like a Lemming in Carnage for now. I might put it higher but a lot of feedback has several of the Armageddon levels easier than they really are because of backroutes.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2016, 06:02:13 PM »
Here's Lem Ramp Scam; I had another replay but it turned out to be in another computer.

Not sure if this is the solution as I didn't use all the blockers.

I'm not sure why I said Devious, I was kind of rushing when I made those comments.

Regarding the L2 Classic, here is the attachment; it also comes with IchoTolot's Lemmini verison of Lemmings Reunion. I've also sent it to you by PM weeks ago.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:30:52 AM by Wafflem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2016, 10:43:39 PM »
oh shoot-- that is a huge backroute to Lem Ramp Scam [trust me the intended solution is way cooler! Not that your solution wasn't ingenious as well, but like I said; this level's pretty unique] :thumbsup:

at the moment I have no idea how to fix this :(

I'm hoping Clam's already fixed many of these (pretty sure at least one other level by his got backrouted). I can check Clamlix which he updated far more recently than these.

----

Everyone who has levels in this and had backroutes pretty much sent me the files to fix them already but in case you haven't; please consider if your levels have any serious problems now.

Now for the people who aren't around; I'll be going through the posts and namida's LP to look for the many backroutes I remember there being. I'll make a list here; anyone who can help fix them is welcome to try.

-----

I'm thinking of reverting FALL AND DIE to Clam's changes; 1. Because it's Clam's level so he should get a say, and 2. I think the comments that it was easier were made by people who had already solved the level so I think it's skewed. Others [Simon for one] who played the Lix version commented it was very difficult.

One level I sort of always wanted to add was Clam's "Switchback symmetry" but this level has a glitch RR that's lower than normal. I think this was necessary and I don't know if it's fixable/if Neolemmix would support this. I don't know if I'll invest any time to actually find a solution to this. I think Wafflem's idea is better to add some easer(ish) levels they found recently.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:59:18 AM by möbius »

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2016, 03:03:03 AM »
I've been playing through random levels here and there, looking for random backroutes, a possible talisman or an overlooked level.

One random thought that came up... I would like for the miner tutorial level "Ups and Downs" to remain, because completing it using only miners (which gives a bronze talisman) is actually pretty challenging, or is at least a test of precision in an otherwise easy rank.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of the Lemmings 3.0
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2016, 08:30:12 PM »
renaming it to ROTL 3.0; imo a better title (3.0 is really only to indicate the version. 1 was the Lemmini version, 2 was the first NeoLemmix version. This will be the latest update (still for NeoLemmix))

I managed to work on a few levels over the weekend despite only having an old laptop without all my files.

----
One random thought that came up... I would like for the miner tutorial level "Ups and Downs" to remain, because completing it using only miners (which gives a bronze talisman) is actually pretty challenging, or is at least a test of precision in an otherwise easy rank.

It would be odd to have 1 tutorial like level without the others. Unless there's other similar levels offering challenges. Or Keep all the tutorials or like-tutorial levels but making the challenges the actual solution. Maybe having that level (with just that challenge as the solution) would be good; albiet it might need to placed later.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2016, 01:17:46 AM »

It would be odd to have 1 tutorial like level without the others. Unless there's other similar levels offering challenges. Or Keep all the tutorials or like-tutorial levels but making the challenges the actual solution. Maybe having that level (with just that challenge as the solution) would be good; albiet it might need to placed later.

It's not a huge tutorial really, given you have floaters, blockers and builders as well, but not enough builders to finish the level with just them.  The only other tutorial level that has a talisman, I think, is "Play Bridge", which demands you save everyone and don't use bashers.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2016, 02:50:25 PM »
I made several changes upon people's request; mostly typos or title changes, and re-ordered some levels

A few backroute fixes to "Top Shelf" and Descent Decent" per ISteve's request though he warns this may open up an old backroute. No other ideas for now. (And I still need to test this actually)

Floodgates Open time limit has been fixed.

Altered part 1 of "the Shaft" so the hard solution isn't possible.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2016, 03:47:47 PM »
Seems fair to make the hard solution impossible, and easy enough as well (removing that vertical plank of wood).  I would argue that namida made it hard on himself by not properly looking at the entire level first, like roundthewheelrtw tends to do and also 'taught' in the Oh No! More Lemmings level "No Problemming".

Suggestion for the end text after Armageddon 30 (if it fits, while making less-than-subtle references to the rank name and what I hope will be the final level!):
After enduring a nightmarish journey and saving 76 lemmings From the Brink of Armageddon, you may now rest on your laurels in the knowledge that you are indeed a true master of Lemmings.  Congratulations!

For an additional challenge, be sure to collect all of the talismans to further prove your worth to the lemming deities.

Be sure to thank us at http://www.lemmingsforums.net, where you may also seek out more devious puzzles from the developers that brought you Revenge of the Lemmings.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:12:42 PM by Crane »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2016, 02:20:11 AM »
that sounds pretty good. Good point in reminding people about the talisman.

---
Just remembered that "Lem Ramp Scam" is very similar to another level. Since this is backrouted; I think I'll put this in the extra rank. No idea how to fix it anyway.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2016, 03:49:17 PM »
The Lemmyrinth should also go in the Extra rank. It's a very original concept, but not one that would work among the main ranks.

Alright, finally got some level suggestions to add so far:
2112 - Rhythm of Lem - a nice long level with lots of obstacles. Could work in Picnic.
ccexplore - Every Single One Counts! - this level was meant to demonstrate that you can make your own VGASPEC. However, it also functions like a regular level, and is very interesting because it has a lot of multitasking and you have to save 100%. This can go in the Extra Rank.
Chmera - The Great Migration '06 - perhaps this could be the very first Picnic level? Seems too easy and simple though, but I think it wouldn't hurt to start it simple. Also remove the '06 in the title.
Dullstar - The Ice Palace, The Waffle Express (was not inspired by my name! ;P ), Attack of the Killer Toddlers - all of these were also suggested by Nepster in the NeoLemmix Community Pack. All three could work in Picnic. Attack of the Killer Todders especially teaches a trick.
Timfoxxy - One of Everything - an excellent and simple one-of-everything level. Place in Hootenanny.
Timballisto - Lemmings on the Roof - has a very clever and hidden solution. Place in Hootenanny.
TOG - Up and Around - this level is the type that teaches you that you don't always have to 100% a level, especially if the save requirement says so. Place in late-Picnic?
TOG - Roller Coaster - a good level that teaches the reverse miner trick. Place in early-Hootenanny.
TOG - Mind the Gap - a level with a very clever solution. Place in mid-Hootenanny.
Tumble Weed - Skill Your Lemmings - a good review of the eight traditional skills. This is different from a skill tutorial level. You already know how the traditional skills work, so no need for tutorials, but a review of how they work and when they should be used is different. A Picnic level.
Tumble Weed - Stairway - uses a lot of clever tricks, one of which is also used in Lemmings Plus I. Tumble Weed included this in his pack of best levels. This belongs in Devious.
Tumble Weed - Multiple Choice - haven't beaten this one, but Tumble Weed included this in his pack of best levels. It works in Armageddon possibly, and I feel Nepster's "Divide and Conquer" (Neutron Star 7) was inspired by this level.

For those who want to make any other suggestions to add, look through the Lemmix-to-NeoLemmix conversions.

I will go through more level packs and see which levels can be added.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:42:48 PM by Wafflem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2016, 12:18:00 AM »
thanks for zipping up all the levels here conveniently :)

----

While I said I like repeats, I am open to removing some of the early-version repeats if other people would like to. If you feel there are better levels to include, verses some already currently in Picnic.

---

I'll be completely re-creating Hotel in Hell (as necessary) If anybody wants to help you may.

I'm having trouble getting the special graphic levels to work again... I've put the graphic files in the right place... (I think, for Hotel in Hell for example; in the style folder under "Cheapo" + the vgaspec special file needed as well.) But the editor can't find it. When someone's on chat I'll try to get some help.

How do you get ccexplore's level to work? the vga spec won't show up. [All I see is entrances and the exit and water.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:30:12 AM by möbius »

-Hakuin Ekaku