Author Topic: Revenge of the Lemmings 3.0  (Read 26491 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: Revenge of the Lemmings 3000
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 05:10:10 PM »
I've played through Revenge of the Lemmings a couple of times. Note that I have not beaten all the levels, but I feel I can notice when a hard level is in an easy rank. Here are my thoughts on what levels should be changed:

Picnic (click to show/hide)

Hootenanny (click to show/hide)

Devious (click to show/hide)

Frenzy (click to show/hide)

Pain (click to show/hide)

Carnage (click to show/hide)

Armageddon (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:13:01 PM by Wafflem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 05:39:02 PM »
My choice in music for "Duality" was down to how beautiful the solution was, in my opinion.  This was back when it was Armageddon 29 though (and Armageddon 30 was "Oh No! Not Again!", which shared music with the very first level to indicate the game coming full circle).  Isn't the current selection of NeoLemmix' Frenzy music suitable as a final level track for "From the Brink"?

Levels I can think off-hand that I don't think are particularly good levels.  Nothing against its creators, but I personally don't like them:

- The Land of Nightmares (in its current form)
- Tribute to Benny Hill (this one is just annoying and tedious)
- Oh No! Not Again!

Ones I think should be kept above all others (once again, due to personal opinion):

- Betcha can't save just one!
- Mastermined
- A Break in the Pillar (this one is the perfect tease!)
- Builders' Cracks (an almost-pure Builder level that is genuinely difficult and intriguing)
- Duality (As beautiful as the solution is, I personally think this level works better as a penultimate level rather than the final level, although I can't give a solid reason why... just a feeling)
- From the Brink

Those are the ones that come to mind anyway.  I'm not at my home computer currently.

I agree with a music change for Waltz in C Sharp Miner, but I don't know offhand the track that you're suggesting - do you have a filename for it?  I recall that Proxima loved the standard Tetris theme for its easier version, Minesweeper Lemmings, but even I've started to dislike the "Tetris B" theme, I think because it's a bit too grating.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:00:04 AM by Crane »

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 10:07:31 PM »
My choice in music for "Duality" was down to how beautiful the solution was, in my opinion.  This was back when it was Armageddon 29 though (and Armageddon 30 was "Oh No! Not Again!", which shared music with the very first level to indicate the game coming full circle).  Isn't the current select of NeoLemmix' Frenzy music suitable as a final level track for "From the Brink"?

That's a valid point. Admittedly, I have never beaten Duality, and if the solution fits the current music then that is fine.

You're right, From the Brink's music does have that final-level feel.

I agree with a music change for Waltz in C Sharp Miner, but I don't know offhand the track that you're suggesting - do you have a filename for it?  I recall that Proxima loved the standard Tetris theme for its easier version, Minesweeper Lemmings, but even I've started to dislike the "Tetris B" theme, I think because it's a bit too grating.

This post is where Proxima shares his music suggestion. I myself admittedly don't mind the Tetris B theme, but I don't mind it being changed either.

Suggestions for levels with the Tetris B music:
Hootenanny 10 "Lem Dunk" should use the same one as first heard in Picnic 3 "Road Block" (it's the Jaguar XJ220 game theme song, I think).
Pain 10 "Balancing Act" should use the same music as in Devious 10 "Cliffhanger" (also heard in Stormy 6 "A Breezy Breeze!" of PimoLems)

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 01:07:23 AM »
I like the idea of removing the tutorial levels; but I don't feel like adding any more X-of-everything levels. This would allow more room for regular levels. [And I think there's enough Fun levels

Nepster's one of the few people who gave any praise for Oh No, Not Again. Quite a few people strongly disliked this level, as of now I'll be removing it.

If From the Brink stays, I think it'll definitely be the final level. It's certainty the hardest.

I'm still unsure about how to handle the backroutes of Duality. Namida's solution is very close to Yawg's intended and forces that (which would be surprisingly easy) would remove a ton of other solutions. However numerous people have liked this level and found it quite difficult as-is. Plus Crane has achievements for it as-is. Not sure yet if this would be effected.

@Wafflem: just curious tell me or send replay for Top Shelf. I still very much plan to remove this one--it's too similar to another and there's no good way to remove the backroute.

@Crane: Tribute to Benny Hill, awww, I really enjoyed this one, although I admit it can be tedious; this could be fixed a little bit. I think this level is very unique. But if it doesn't get a lot of love, I'll consider removing it.

Note: I'll discuses achievements later; once we have this all straigthened out.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 01:47:04 AM »
If I'm thinking of the right level, Top Shelf is the same level as Bipolar Maniac in the Lix community set. That one only wants a single trick to solve, but it's a very hard trick to spot, and the level offers many plausible directions to go that don't lead anywhere. I remember, when Insane Steve first built the Lix version, spending ages on it without getting anywhere. I haven't played many of the top-tier levels so maybe it doesn't belong in Armaggedon, but I definitely wouldn't drop it down lower than Carnage.

Oh No, Not Again is notorious for being one of the hardest ever levels to solve -- even people like Nepster report having taken months over it. I haven't solved it myself, but I've certainly found it an interesting level to attempt, and don't see anything wrong with it, other than dependence on time limit (and considering that RotL includes a lot of older content, probably it still has a fair number of time-limited levels?) Sadly, because of time limit dependence we may have to remove it from the Lix pack (unless we can find a good way to fix it, which isn't necessarily impossible) so it would be sad to see it cut from RotL as well.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 02:41:45 AM »
I dont mean to go off topic,but unless im missing an update, there needs to be a final level post message too

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 04:32:33 PM »
This is the great thing about Lemmings... everyone has different preferences to level types and the lists of best and worst levels are often very different if you ask different people.  For a minor example, I didn't think much of Herculems, if only because I had issues with timed bombers and positioning when I first played it on Lemmini, but almost everyone else feels it is an absolutely brilliant level.  Even with my own levels, I don't feel too strongly about "Lemming Cathodes" and "Sharing a Climber?" because they were the 3rd and 1st levels respectively I had ever designed from scratch, hence I was far less experienced, but these are considered quite good levels by the community, as evidenced by their inclusion in Revenge of the Lemmings.

And yes, some kind of ending screen would be nice, as currently it just takes you back to Picnic 1.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 05:18:39 PM by Crane »

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 07:16:40 PM »
I'll post my Top Shelf replay when I get back home.

Another thing to consider - should we make it as far as to remove either all or just some easier repeats of harder levels and replace those with different levels? There are so many great levels out there that could have been used in this pack, especially in a pack of 210 levels. It appears that not a lot of people like repeats in packs, and many of the recent packs use very few to no repeats. Even Lemmings Redux avoids the idea of repeats.

I also still think we should consider a Bonus rank for levels we choose to remove, much like Pieuw's Extra rank in PimoLems and namida's Recycle Bin. It will be great bonus content for those who have completed the main game but want to play more levels, or a breather rank if people are currently tired out by the main game (e.g. Colorful Arty playing the Extra rank after completing the Stormy levels in his PimoLems video playthrough).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:24:44 PM by Wafflem »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 01:07:53 AM »
I like the Extra rank idea a lot. In that case; most or all of these levels I'm proposing to remove will be put in this extra rank [unless it goes over 30 but I highly doubt that].

also you're right that apparently the consensus is now that repeats are dumb, which honestly makes me sad; I really like the concept and use them at least a little in my own packs. But regardless; if that's the consensus then I'll consider removing some or all of the repeat/easy levels I made. Keep in mind part of the reason I added the new rank in the beginning was a lot of people complained that the first version got too difficult too quickly. :P

@GigaLem I never thought about a post message; didn't even know that was a thing... but good thought. Some else should write a congratulations message though, I have no ideas.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 01:13:15 AM »
That's a very good point that a lot of people found the first version of ROTL too hard; even I myself found it difficult (most especially since the Final Countdown was Picnic 30!). There's a lot of easy levels out there though, so I can look through what Nepster and I have converted from Lemmix-to-NeoLemmix to see what we can put there.

Here is my replay for The Top Shelf. If my solution is intended, I would keep it and try to fix the backroute.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 01:29:33 AM »
also you're right that apparently the consensus is now that repeats are dumb, which honestly makes me sad; I really like the concept and use them at least a little in my own packs. But regardless; if that's the consensus then I'll consider removing some or all of the repeat/easy levels I made.

I don't think such a consensus exists. I think what you're seeing is that people who don't like X (for any value of X) are liable to be vocal about not liking X, whereas people who like X or are indifferent might not see the need to say anything.

Of course, there are special cases -- Lemmings Redux was mentioned. This is explicitly a collection of what we (as near to consensus as we can establish) consider the best levels of the original games. Except for the Genesis levels, all the repeats in the original Lemmings are n-of-each levels that were added when the developers realised there weren't enough easy levels to get the player started. We've kept a few of these, but mostly we'd rather give space to other interesting easy levels, such as the better levels of the PSP set.

I don't know what the situation is with Revenge of the Lemmings; the community has made a ton of levels, so maybe you could find easy levels that are better than the repeats you currently have. On the other hand, in general the better designers find it more interesting to work on harder levels, so you might not find that many easy levels of good quality.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 02:01:52 AM »
apparently the consensus is now that repeats are dumb
I don't think such a consensus exists. I think what you're seeing is that people who don't like X (for any value of X) are liable to be vocal about not liking X, whereas people who like X or are indifferent might not see the need to say anything.

This. I have ranted against repeats in IRC. Except for Akseli popping in shortly, I haven't seen any support against repeats. There are several arguments on both sides.

Whoever wants to know details, they're welcome to start a dedicated level design thread.

-- Simon

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2016, 02:31:07 PM »
I'm actually fine with repeat levels. It provides a brief trip down memory lane to when the levels were easier(!) and with some of the levels, the easy version offers no clues as to how the hard version plays out (i.e. Singularity -> Duality and Hunting Season -> Wish you had them?). I wouldn't want too many levels from Picnic removed. For one, I enjoyed Minesweeper Lemmings more than Waltz in C Sharp Miner.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:57:38 AM by Crane »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »
For one, I enjoyed Minesweeper Lemmings more than Waltz in C Sharp Miner.

That's an interesting example. The Cheapo original was made for a multi-rank level pack I never finished, and each rank was going to have one special level. There were repeats in the pack, but all the special levels were unique. The repeat came into existence when I remade this level for the Lix community set. We needed more easy levels, and I felt that Waltz, with its multiple hatches, would be a good candidate for a fun easy-repeat.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2016, 06:40:10 PM »
If people don't really want to remove repeats (that is why I suggested some, not all), I still think only the skill tutorial levels should be removed.

This would mean Picnic 1-9. I'm okay with tutorials that teach medium-to-advanced tricks, which is why I'm okay with keeping Picnic 10 "Arrow Keys Will Help You Here!" (again, assuming we don't remove all repeats), as it teaches two tricks - the directional select and the digger holding cells. I would however move that level to later-Picnic.

Picnic 6 is Play Bridge, the difference being that this version has 50 builders and is a left and right-facing entrance (i.e. lemmings come out facing right and left). If the skill tutorial levels are removed, this level will then have to be reverted to its original version, which belongs in Hootenanny (and should be switched with the Endless Steps as that level becomes tons easier with instant bombers).

"In the swamp" can then be placed in early-Picnic.