Author Topic: ZX Spectrum + NES Levels  (Read 21915 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: ZX Spectrum + NES Levels
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2016, 05:00:06 PM »
Minim also did a remake of A Spot of Bother in this pack, Level 9.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2016, 06:43:28 PM »
Oh nice Ron_Stard

They look so much better, I think the mistake I made was using the larger Steel blocks to help keep the level to scale.

Another interesting point to make is the Diamonds need to be climbable on both sides and I can see in the picture that one side won't be climbable. They are definitely climbable on the Game Boy version, I can't comment on the NES.
I guess they aren't really required for the solution since Spot of Bother is an X of everything level anyway and Mayhem 22 doesn't have any climbers.

Can't wait to see the rest :thumbsup:

On NES version, it is impossible to climb any of the diamonds, as you can see in the screenshot:

The layout uses small steel blocks, according again to the NES capture.

Yeah, I see it:

Interesting approach: Minim took simple elements for recreating the trapezoid/trapezium and the diamonds, and gaps instead of traps. Since the solution is the intended one, it seems that I put too much effort into mimicking every detail :laugh:

Anyway, to change the subject: one more level!

A Free Lemming In Every Pack
(Mayhem 18 from NES Lemmings)

Again, as it happened on ZX, this is a remake of "A Task For Blockers And Bombers", with a slightly different layout and a different approach for solving it. I watched a video with the intended solution on NES, and toyed around with the thickness of the wood, in order to mimic the behavior of the diggers.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:23:14 PM by Ron_Stard »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2016, 06:48:04 PM »

That's right. :) Looking at my old 2008 packs I also remember doing remakes of "Arctic Lemmings" and "Hello John Got A New Lemming" under different graphic sets and different titles. They were under the names "Square World" and "Where do I dig next" respectively. See this pack for images.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »
New level!

This Lemmings Faulty
(Mayhem 15 from NES Lemmings)

I'm proud of having managed to mimic every damn NES behavior on this. As you may deduce from the layout, this is a stripped down version of the (in)famous Mayhem 29, "Save Me". I had to move 4 or 5 times the trap door platform far to the right, for the builder lemming reached enough height to be forced to use both bashing and mining abilities, and not splat after falling, just like in NES intended solution.

Also, I had to lower the first stairs, in order to force him, again, to build an extra step over it, just like the NES version requires.

This is a NES video with the intended solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0puf9q1uJFg
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 06:58:16 PM by Ron_Stard »

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2016, 04:15:01 PM »
Not much to say about the next recreated level:

Lemming Good Fun
(Tricky 25 from NES Lemmings)

Basically, is ZX Spectrum Jon's Mayhem Level, but with stars and water. And a different skillset, but the solution is the same. I've tried to put the stars on the equivalent places of the NES version level, but I didn't take much care doing that.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 11:32:51 AM »
Ullo John! Gotta new level? Yeah!

Hello John Got A New Lemming
(Mayhem 16 from NES Lemmings)

This is the kind of puzzle that "Lemmings Ark" and "Fall And No Life" fans will appreciate. I took a few licenses from the original NES layout, but only in those parts of the level which doesn't affect the intended solution: it turned out that Flopsy were right about the strange scalability of the simmetrical diamonds that NES has, but that little detail is not a problem for the planned way of solving this funny level.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 04:05:01 PM »
It's time to finish the NES remakes:

Arctic Lemmings
(Taxing 18 from NES Lemmings)

I've made a few visual changes, but the solution is the same as NES one. Perhaps it's even easier in some way, but well, I did what i could!

I hope you have enjoyed these reconstructions. There is only one left to made, Enviromentally Friendly from ZX Spectrum, but I think it's not a very interesting level, after all... I don't know if I'll finally rebuilt it.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 04:16:55 PM »
Well done, Ron_Stard! :thumbsup:

Once you finish Environmentally Friendly, these levels should be added to the Extra Levels Player, and should even be considered for Lemmings Redux!
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 12:32:59 PM »
Well done, Ron_Stard! :thumbsup:

Once you finish Environmentally Friendly, these levels should be added to the Extra Levels Player, and should even be considered for Lemmings Redux!

Thank you! I also thought about putting these levels on the Extra Level Players for Lemmix and NeoLemmix; that decision it's up to the authors of those players (EricLang, ccexplore and namida, I think). But before that, I think I should inspect carefully the levels, for fixing possible errors and change some things in layouts.

By the way: before redrawing the boring Enviromentally Friendly, I've made versions for the ZX and Spectrum levels which have a slight layout -and skills- for the classic "Don't Do Anything Too Hasty" and "Heaven Can Wait (We Hope!!!!)":

Don't Do Anything Too Hasty & Heaven Can Wait (We Hope!!!!)
(Fun 15 & Mayhem 7 from ZX Spectrum Lemmings)

Do Not Do Anything Too Hasty & Up The Wooden Hill
(Fun 15 & Taxing 3 from NES Lemmings)

I've been faithful to the distances and details -or absence of details-, but the layout is exactly the same. However, the skills for each of the four versions are completely different, and lead to at least 3 different approaches to solve them: that's why I have remade them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:00:17 PM by Ron_Stard »

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 04:46:03 PM »
Another NES level, whose layout and tasklist is different from a classic scenario (in this case, Taxing 20 - Walk The Web Rope)

On The Spiders Web
(Taxing 12 from NES Lemmings)

I ran out of terrain pieces twice while I was making this level. I solved it using huge erasers, instead of a lot of small ones.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:25:27 PM by Ron_Stard »

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »
4 more levels*!

*Actually, they all share the same scenario, and they resemble a famous -and also obnoxious- original level:

We All Fall Down/A Bag Of Lemming Drops/Just Drop In/My Word What A Lemming
(Fun 12, Tricky 2, Taxing 17 and Mayhem 17 from NES Lemmings)

Two reasons led me to recreate it/them: first of all, of course, the different layout they have from the Amiga original level(s), but the main reason is that the ways of solving each one are completely different, and even creative! No more trivial digging solution! (well... except for Taxing 17).

Since I am recreating now the levels with slightly different layouts from the Amiga original, I think I'll recreate also the following levels, before releasing the ultimate Lemmix and NeoLemmix packs:

ZX Spectrum

-Fun 11 & 12 (Taxing 2 & 6)
-Tricky 1 (Tricky 7)
-Taxing 7
-Mayhem 15

NES

-Fun 13 & 14 (Tricky 24 & Taxing 1)
-Fun 21 (Mayhem 4)
-Mayhem 9

They are the truncated and gapped versions of Origins And Lemmings & Don't Let Your Eyes Deceive You, plus the non-spider web version of Lemmings Lemmings Everywhere (as well as the repetitions for each level mentioned). Oh, and the no-traps version of Taxing 2, called Enviromentally Friendly (Mayhem 15 from ZX Spectrum). And two versions of Lost Something? with different skillset!

I know, I know: they are pretty bland levels, with not much to contribute, but well, they are unique, somehow. I promise I'll stop bugging in this thread after I finish those levels! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:49:50 PM by Ron_Stard »

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2016, 09:54:35 AM »
A truncated classic:

Danger The Bridge Is Out / Roman In The Ruins
(Fun 14 & Taxing 1 from NES Lemmings)

Don't Let Your Eyes Deceive You / If At First You Don't Succeed...
(Fun 12 & Taxing 6 from ZX Spectrum Lemmings)

Different layout from the classic Fun 15, and different skillset for each one. I recycled partially the original "If At First..." to make these four levels. The time and skills restrictions add some challenge to these gapped versions.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2016, 10:15:30 AM »
Nice, this level brings back memories for me. This is actually one of the hardest levels in Game Boy Lemmings. Like Tricky 1, you can only lose 1 lemming in Taxing 1.

The Game Boy/NES version was good at taking easier levels and making them harder, like both versions of "Here's one I Prepared Earlier"/"Every Lemming for Himself" are pretty difficult.

Keep it up Ron, looking forward to the nxp :)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2016, 12:24:24 PM »
Nice, this level brings back memories for me. This is actually one of the hardest levels in Game Boy Lemmings. Like Tricky 1, you can only lose 1 lemming in Taxing 1.

The Game Boy/NES version was good at taking easier levels and making them harder, like both versions of "Here's one I Prepared Earlier"/"Every Lemming for Himself" are pretty difficult.

Keep it up Ron, looking forward to the nxp :)

Thank you! I think I'll need some help when I make the packs.

Here we go with another truncated classic scenario:

Origins And Lemmings / The Crankshaft
(Fun 13 & Tricky 24 from NES Lemmings)

Origins And Lemmings / The Crankshaft
(Fun 11 & Taxing 2 from ZX Spectrum Lemmings)

I was very surprised by the skillset in NES' "The Crankshaft": it leads to a slightly new approach for solving the level.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2016, 05:49:22 PM »
Oh, that classic level:

A Memory Test?
(Taxing 7 from ZX Spectrum Lemmings)

Pass Me That Lemming
(Mayhem 9 from NES Lemmings)

It was hard, VERY HARD to mimic the soil slopes and its thickness from the original levels into these ones. But well, it was worthwhile: the skillset for each recreation is different from the classic "Lost Something?", and so they are the solutions derived from these changes. Not very difficult to solve them, but not very easy either.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 06:39:08 PM by Ron_Stard »