Author Topic: ZX Spectrum + NES Levels  (Read 21800 times)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
Re: ZX Spectrum Levels
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »

A Spot Of Bother, this one is definitely not a replica, I modified it because I came up with an alternative solution for it.

Arctic Lemming, this one is a lot more exact, added more stars for effect. The stars in Game Boy are not terrain so there'll be a major difference.

John Got A New Lemming, added the one way arrows to the left of the exit myself to prevent backrouting but the rest of the level is mostly spot on. Moved the trapdoors so it's not splat height since Gameboy requires you to float every lemming out of the trapdoors.

Pretty much all the levels are small vertical scrollers because the metal blocks in Crystal tileset which I was using to measure are much bigger.

Feel free to take these levels and modify them to your liking. I'll be keeping these versions for my level pack because I loved the Game Boy exclusive levels.

Hope this helps decrease your work load for the NES levels :thumbsup:

Thank you! Your levels are visually richer than mines, but I was planning to build them on the classic resolution of Lemmix, with only horizontal scrolling. It's interesting how you used the mineral seams to simulate the trapezoidal obstacles in John... and A Spot Of Bother: the first time I saw such slopes in Spectrum, I only thought of them as small squared nets, filled with the blue material of those bland circles of the Crystal repertory. I like your approach :D

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 12:12:42 AM »
It's just how they looked to me on the Game Boy version those Trapezoidal objects. Feel free to shrink the levels vertically if you need to, some of them are around the 200 pixel region vertically when you need to get down to 160pxl.

This is the best image I could find for how the game boy version of Mayhem 16 looks.

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 01:03:59 AM »
Better level picture:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:54:43 PM by Leo »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 11:16:59 AM »
Thanks Leo :thumbsup:

that is much better for visual comparison :)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 08:35:17 AM »
These are more detailed screenshots, from NES Lemmings (I think they are the same as Game Boy ones):

A Spot Of Bother / Is That Lemming Licensed? (Taxing 6 & Mayhem 22)

Arctic Lemmings (Taxing 18)

Hello John Got A New Lemming (Mayhem 16)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 11:35:14 AM »
One important difference between the NES and Gameboy ports versus ZX Spectrum is that in the former, builders and miners are at 45-degree angles (ie. 1:1 slopes) rather than the traditional shallower 2:1 slopes.  This will likely lead to more tweaks required compare to what, say, fall-distance differences would entail.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 03:02:56 PM »
One important difference between the NES and Gameboy ports versus ZX Spectrum is that in the former, builders and miners are at 45-degree angles (ie. 1:1 slopes) rather than the traditional shallower 2:1 slopes.  This will likely lead to more tweaks required compare to what, say, fall-distance differences would entail.

In fact, Tricky 05 (Lemming I Scream) has a particular and problematic fall-safe distance at the very beginning of the level:

On NES port, the Lemmings splat against the floor from that distance, while in the similar level I made for Spectrum, they land safe from even higher distances (I tested it). Also, the particular way of building bridges you mentioned leads to a solution not very simulable on [Neo]Lemmix.

This is a video I've found which shows that inconveniences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-l65YylDQs

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
Re: ZX Spectrum + NES Levels
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 04:39:55 PM »
New changes:

-I've renamed the thread as ZX Spectrum + NES Levels, because I'm going to put here the levels from both versions.
-Created the first NES recreated level:

Iced Lemming
(Tricky 23 from NES Lemmings)

I've made a few changes on the similar ZX level I've already made. I chose not to replace the mineral seams by a kind of diamonds, as the NES version has, for aesthetic purposes, because I found the diamonds recreation too much unnatural while I was making it with NeoLemmix editor.

As ccexplore said a few posts ago, the major problem with NES recreations is the fact that bridges have its particular angle. Please, watch this video of this level solved on NES, and tell me if you would consider my attempt a good recreation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWH2V6pdqD4

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 11:14:04 AM »
One level more from NES - thanks to namida for helping me with the correction (it didn't work on Lemmix, due to some problems with object indexes).

Lemming And Lime
(Fun 25 from NES Lemmings)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:23:51 AM by Ron_Stard »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 03:10:06 PM »
I've started making it for Lemmix, but at some point, I surpassed the 32-objects limit, and despite deleting some of them later, it was impossible to make the third trap and the exit work:

In Lemmix, objects beyond Index 15 won't work (unless they're entrances). Put the trap in the first 15 objects (move the entrance, the exit top, and perhaps some of the water objects - especially those with additional ones above them - towards the end of the indexes) and it should work.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 04:18:15 PM »
I've started making it for Lemmix, but at some point, I surpassed the 32-objects limit, and despite deleting some of them later, it was impossible to make the third trap and the exit work:

In Lemmix, objects beyond Index 15 won't work (unless they're entrances). Put the trap in the first 15 objects (move the entrance, the exit top, and perhaps some of the water objects - especially those with additional ones above them - towards the end of the indexes) and it should work.

Thank you, that worked! I didn't know about it. Now the level is playable on Lemmix, once converted.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 10:43:15 PM »
I really like your versions of these levels: some simple designs, yet very good-looking! Good job :thumbsup:

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 10:41:18 AM »
I really like your versions of these levels: some simple designs, yet very good-looking! Good job :thumbsup:

Thank you! The levels are certainly easy, but at least are detailed. I think the only interesting level of all that I've already recreated is Speed Trap.

Here we go with another two:

Lemming I Scream
(Tricky 5 from NES Lemmings)

Come To Lemming County
(Taxing 20 from NES Lemmings)

The day I posted Iced Lemming, I forgot to attach also Come To Lemming County, which has the same layout, but a different skillset.
The other level is basically Sleepless Nights from ZX Spectrum, but with slight changes: more net ropes, different diamond, water, and a new location for the trap door, for the lemmings to splat against the floor as they fall, like in the NES version.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2016, 02:05:45 PM »
And now, two more levels!

A Spot Of Bother & Is That Lemming Licensed?
(Taxing 6 & Mayhem 22 from NES Lemmings)

Both of them use the same layout, but different skillset. In contrast to the rest of the NES levels, they require interesting solutions. The strange 45ยบ degree of NES bridges is no problem for solving these levels in the manner they were intended.

Flopsy made bigger recreations some posts ago, while mines were made with the classic resolution. Finally I chose to make the levels almost from scratch, instead of rebuilding Flopsy ones.

I made them for NeoLemmix, so after batch-converting them with the editor for Lemmix, I realized that Auto-Steel didn't keep its state, and neither the right diamond orientation... I think I'll need a lot extra classes of NeoLemmix Editor for becoming a virtuoso on level making :D

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2016, 04:23:50 PM »
Oh nice Ron_Stard

They look so much better, I think the mistake I made was using the larger Steel blocks to help keep the level to scale.

Another interesting point to make is the Diamonds need to be climbable on both sides and I can see in the picture that one side won't be climbable. They are definitely climbable on the Game Boy version, I can't comment on the NES.
I guess they aren't really required for the solution since Spot of Bother is an X of everything level anyway and Mayhem 22 doesn't have any climbers.

Can't wait to see the rest :thumbsup: