Author Topic: Happy one year birthday to the new site!  (Read 7673 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Happy one year birthday to the new site!
« on: December 30, 2015, 03:32:54 AM »
Well, it's probably not exactly a year - I forget the exact date we moved over. But it's close enough. :P

So yeah. Wow. We've been on this new site for a whole year already. :D
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Happy one year birthday to the new site!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 04:16:38 AM »

It takes time and patience to keep the technology running. A job done best when people don't notice anything. Thanks for that!

-- Simon
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:24:09 AM by Simon »

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 04:21:57 AM »
:8(): Heres to an upcoming second year :8:()[:

Offline WYSIWYG23

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »

AAWWWWWW!! IMO that looks just as cuddly as a real lemming! :lix-wink:

Well, it's probably not exactly a year - I forget the exact date we moved over. But it's close enough. :P

So yeah. Wow. We've been on this new site for a whole year already. :D

I am curious, why did this site have to change over from .com to .net? I'm guessing it was because of all the spam.
Hunt the Nessie  :3

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 10:55:07 AM »
Thanks for making everything run so smoothly for a year now!

I am curious, why did this site have to change over from .com to .net? I'm guessing it was because of all the spam.
This topic should shed some light on this question: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=1929.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 01:47:44 AM »
^ Yep, that topic covers the full story pretty well.

If that's TL;DR, the short story is, all admins that actually had server access on the old site went AWOL, we were suffering more and more frequent (and large-scale) spambot attacks, and if the site were to go down, there'd be nothing we could do about it except wait and hope it came back up - which it did every time at that point, although since then it's gone down permanently (although it's unclear whether it's just a failure that never resolved, or if - more likely - the old admin noticed and took it down; the only reason I have my doubts is that, since the old site still seems to connect to some kind of server, if it was intentional then surely a link to the new site would've been placed there).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 02:42:42 AM »
wow, it's been a year already. :o :thumbsup:

Out of curiosity; has anyone had any contact with Adam since then? I just had a random thought that doesn't have much importance but; maybe Adam used his own server? then didn't have to pay anything? Although I have no idea how that works so maybe that's an impossibility.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 04:17:09 PM »
Wow, didn't realise this site was that young.

It looks great on here and in the short time I've been a member, I enjoy reading the posts. Just don't usually have much to say!

Here's to many more years :thumbsup:

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 07:34:11 PM »
And happy holidays/new years too :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:19:39 PM by NaOH »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 10:21:31 PM »
One year old? Well, it's good to talk about such a milestone.

I'm glad this site hasn't had any notable downtime concerns (At least within the past 6 months). So I'd like to thank all the administrators for helping to keep this site running! ;)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 07:47:03 AM »
One year old? Well, it's good to talk about such a milestone.

I'm glad this site hasn't had any notable downtime concerns (At least within the past 6 months). So I'd like to thank all the administrators for helping to keep this site running! ;)

We had a couple of issues with downtime, which were generally caused by problems at the host (which I can't really do much about, beyond bringing it to their attention - and chances are they know about it before any of us do); except for the one short downtime to upgrade the forum software. But overall, it's been very reliable - and if the worst did happen, we at least have reasonably up to date backups (which reminds me - I need to update it sometime soon xD) and admins who can swing into action pretty quickly to do something about it, rather than having to sit around and hope for the best. (As an even further protection - although moderators don't have access to the server in any way, they do have access to the backups.)
My Lemmings projects