Author Topic: Official Level Design Contest #5 (Playing Phase - Discussion Topic)  (Read 23454 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
This topic is for discussion of the levels, feedback, posting replays, etc. For creators wishing to post updates, or if you're looking for the latest updates, please check this topic instead.

So, entries have finally closed, after a very long entry period due to updates / new submissions coming in at the last minute - and this contest also has the largest number of submissions yet! The theme was to design a level with a save requirement of no more than 10%.

Our entered levels are (in alphabetical order by author name):

<V4> "Lemming Mashed Potato Facility" by bsmith (NeoLemmix)
<V7> "Tough Call" by Crane (NeoLemmix)
<V1> "Minefield" by geoo (Lix)
<V1> "Teleporters of doom" by GigaLem (NeoLemmix)
<V1> "Escape From Lemlab" by IchoTolot (NeoLemmix)
<V4> "Electroshock" by Nepster (NeoLemmix)
<V2> "Palmtree Pile-up v1.2" by Simon (Lix)

The levels are in an attached ZIP. To play the levels:

NeoLemmix: Run NeoCustLemmix, press F6 on the title screen, and select the LVL file. Alternatively, open them in the editor, then press F2 for playtest mode (requires a copy of NeoCustLemmix in the same folder as the editor). I have checked all the levels, and none of them should require NeoLemmix V1.35n; they should all work fine with the slightly-older versions (at least V1.33n).

Lix: Copy the level into the /levels/single/ subfolder, then select them from the "Single Player" menu.

Updates to the levels are possible until whichever comes last: the 27th of June, or 72 hours from the last update (by any author). After this, the levels will be finalized; and voting will open 5 days after updates close. There is a seperate topic for level creators to post updates in; they will also periodically be updated here. However, until it is announced that updates are closed, you should also keep an eye on the updates topic to ensure you have the latest version.

Updates are now closed. All levels can now be considered finalized as far as the contest is concerned. Voting will open around July 5th.

The winners will be decided by voteoff once the playing phase ends. 1st and 2nd place may choose one prize each out of (first place gets first pick, they cannot both choose the same):
The prizes available for this contest are:
- US $12.50 (via PayPal or Bitcoin, can also opt to have something up to that value purchased on your behalf, or to have it donated to a charity)
- One month's advertising for a project you're creating (or involved in creating), whether lemmings-related or not, and whether free or not, in the forum's news ticker
- A Two new gimmicks of your choice added to NeoLemmix (within reason)
- A new object type of your choice added to NeoLemmix (within reason); this only includes supporting it in-game and in the graphic set editor, and does not include actually creating a graphic set (or expanding an existing one) to include the object
- Your choice for the next contest's rules (within reason)

Levels ZIP last updated: 26 June, 22:57 UTC
(Note: Do not use this timestamp to determine when the update phase ends; use the time of the most recent post in the updates topic. This timestamp is just when I actually got around to updating this post's attachment.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:41:51 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Official Level Design Contest #5 (Playing Phase - Discussion Topic)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 05:30:43 PM »
Edit Simon 2015-06-16 18:00 UTC: namida has reuploaded the archive, now everything is playable.

Both geoo's and my level are chopped off in the middle of the files.

Reupload would be nice. :-)

(What am I experiencing: geoo's level is chopped off in line 322, my level is chopped off in line 105. My level should have 107 lines instead. There seem to be chopped off exactly as many bytes as there are linefeeds in the original file. Downloaded the archive twice, didn't fix the problem. Unpacked with two different programs, didn't fix the problem.)

(What others would experience: Lix refuses to start the level and displays icons for missing terrain.)

-- Simon
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:36:42 PM by Simon »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 06:02:05 PM »
Reuploaded. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 06:10:01 PM »
While the Lix entries are not playable atm: here are my solutions to the NeoLemmix entries ;)
I also attached the intended solution to my entry!

My thoughts's:

bsmith's Lemming Mashed Potato Facility:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cranes Tough Call:

GigaLem's Teleporters of doom:

Nepster's Elektroshock:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:21:17 AM by IchoTolot »

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »
Yeah i wish can make better levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:12:56 PM »
The Lix ones are fixed now; just redownload the archive. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 06:47:53 PM »
Annnnd here are the Lix levels :)

Geoo's Minefield:

Simon's Palmtree Pile-up v1.1:

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 10:33:54 PM »
Ooo, that was a glitchy solution - when I saw that lemming separate itself from the pack, I kinda said "What the?!" out loud and had to rewind to see exactly what you did!  Truthfully I'm not actually sure if I can patch that one.  Since you use all of the tools and you only scored 12% though, I might let it stay, although I'll see how many other people solve it that way.  The intended solution uses nothing that I consider to be a glitch.

POST SCRIPTUM: The level's called "Tough Call", not "Though Call"!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:47:13 AM by Crane »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 05:17:29 AM »
Here are the levels I've solved so far.

Teleporters of doom:

Escape from Lemlab:

Electroshock:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:41:11 AM by Crane »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 07:02:54 AM »
Oops, I forgot I was a bit inefficient with that Platformer on Escape from Lemlab - I had it there because I initially used a Miner instead of a Basher, so I could theoretically save a few more Lemmings and finish with a leftover Platformer.  My solution still near enough coincides with the intended one though.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 07:08:38 PM »
Well, I know how to fix the glitchy solution to my level, but I'm going to wait on it for now.  If IchoTolot was the only one to solve it that way, it might stay.  Aah, the bane of intended solutions!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 07:12:06 PM »
So far, I've solved "Lemming Mashed Potato Facility", "Tough Call" and "Teleporters of Doom".

I thought the former was a fairly fun level, though I'm pretty sure I backrouted it.

The second was indeed an excellent level. I loved the tricks involving the crowd.

The last one isn't that interesting - looks fancy, but doesn't play very fun.

I've also attempted Escape From Lemlab, tried quite a lot of things but nothing quite works out.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 10:09:41 PM »
Hrm, a backroute, but I'm glad you enjoyed the tricks with the crowd.  Good work namida.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 01:49:59 PM »
Leaving Escape from Lemlab aside for now, I took a look at the other levels:

Electroshock - I think I may have backrouted this one, but a fairly neat level nonetheless.

Palmtree Pile-Up - Needed a fair bit of precision, but wasn't too bad.

Minefield - I like the concept of this level, but I found it a bit on the annoying side in practice.

I'll take another look at Escape from Lemlab soon, too. It's clearly, by far, the hardest of these levels (at least for me).
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 02:02:49 PM »
Hehehe got one stucked! :devil::devil:

I will leave the spare platformer in it (as long as I don't see a huge backroute involving it)! :) Didn't know that that one part could be done with one platformer less, but hey one additional does decrease the precision a bit. ;)

One additional question: I tried to make the little marble pillars look a bit like lab-pipes as well as the teleporter pipes and the rest of the level as seperated lab-sections with a test chamber for the Lemmings for leathal "reasearch" experiments :evil:.  For the future and design research purpose: Did I succed in it or is it not recognisable? ???