Author Topic: Official Level Design Contest #5 (Playing Phase - Discussion Topic)  (Read 23447 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Official Level Design Contest #5 (Playing Phase - Discussion Topic)
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 02:15:12 PM »
I certianly think you did a good job on the level visually! And, I finally managed to solve it, though I don't know if it's a backroute or not. Turns out the problem was that I was using a miner and a basher the wrong way around, and thus overlooking...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is an excellent level. :D
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 02:23:58 PM »
Intended with only slight variances (also applies to Cranes solution) in when to send the last grp and removing the three last pipes. Good job :thumbsup:

But I must admit that Crane's critic is true and the save req could have been much more than a time frame.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 03:48:26 PM »
It blends in pretty well, I think.  At least when I thought I finally solved it, I forgot about the pipe at the rightmost (fake) teleport exit, so yeah, it blends in if you're not looking for it!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:43:27 PM by Crane »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 07:29:53 PM »
Teleporters of doom:

Escape from Lemlab:

Tough Call:

Lemming Mashed Potato Facility:

Palmtree:

Minefield:

Electroshock:
All three solutions are backroutes, because they ignore the main tricks of the level. My solution saves only about 20%, so anything beyond that is very likely a backroute.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 07:55:38 PM »
Here's my replay for V2 of Electroshock. A bit more challenging, but the same general approach (with some tweaks) still works.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 08:58:45 PM »
Thanks, but still a backroute. V3 is on the way.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 11:25:42 PM »
My solutions for bsmith's, Crane's, Nepster's (v1 though, didn't look at the updates yet) and geoo's contest levels. I solved Giga's level as well, certainly in the same way as other people. IchoTolot's and Simon's levels can wait for now (they were the hardest for me), I'll leave for summer cottage for midsummer and I'll come back on Sunday evening. After seeing earlier contests I still keep smiling at these new contest levels, all you guys surprise me every time with these great levels! :thumbsup: Really enjoyed them so far.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 11:46:34 PM »
Electroshock V3, same overall approach still works, just with some minor tweaks. In fact, I could've done this with even fewer skills and possibly a couple more lemmings saved.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2015, 03:21:52 AM »
Just a little something for Escape from Lemlab... this is me saving over 20%, taking advantage of that spare Platformer!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 01:16:05 PM »
Solved V2 of Tough Call. It's basically just an "extended" version of my previous solution.
My Lemmings projects

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 06:04:57 PM »
So far, I only have solved Teleporters of doom.

It is interesting to see all the different ways my level was backrouted.  namida, your replay seems to be corrupted.  I keep getting an error 0020 when I try to load the replay.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 06:09:52 PM »
Not corrupted; it's just becasue the replay was created with NeoLemmix V1.35n. Older versions can't open V1.35n replays.

Generally, replays from new NeoLemmix versions will still load on older versions, but V1.35n is an exception to this; older versions can't open its replays (V1.28n, IIRC, was the only other time this happened).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2015, 05:30:52 PM »
Solution to Lemming Mashed Potato Facility V2. I'm fairly sure this one's a backroute, unless...

This solution could probably also be modified to save one or two extra lemmings.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2015, 10:01:19 PM »
New update to Tough Call, calls for a new backroute to Tough Call... :P

This method uses every skill, so chances are it's very close to being completely blocked. And either way, it's a very good level as is.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2015, 10:28:25 PM »
My solution for Electroshock V3.  Though it uses all of the tools, I saved 72%, and I could opt to save less since I have 3 tools left with which to release the crowd, and only one is required to let the required number through.

Nice work again namida.  You were right, that one was very easy to patch and in a way that keeps the level looking quite neat.  That little lip can't be helped, as it's the only way to stop a Climber going that way, but otherwise I'm quite pleased with the final appearance.  Version 4 posted on the other topic.