Poll

Which things should be kept in the light theme? (Vote for as many or few as you want)

"Lemmings Forums" logo
6 (7.8%)
Welcome text ("Hello <user>, you have X unread PMs, etc")
6 (7.8%)
Post/topic counts for each board
7 (9.1%)
Last post information for each board (instead of just "unread posts" mark)
8 (10.4%)
Category headers
7 (9.1%)
Recent posts
7 (9.1%)
Forum stats
6 (7.8%)
Who's Online
5 (6.5%)
Reply/view counts for each topic
6 (7.8%)
Last post info for each topic (instead of just "unread posts" mark)
9 (11.7%)
Lemming icons below usernames
3 (3.9%)
Smileys
7 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: "Light" Theme?  (Read 6064 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
"Light" Theme?
« on: January 01, 2015, 01:40:18 AM »
One thing that a couple of users have brought up in the chat is that they find things such as the logo, karma, the lemming icons under the username, etc, to be pointless and just take up space. Other users clearly do like these (otherwise, for example, they wouldn't have volunteered to make images for them), so what I'm wondering is... if I were to look into making a "light" theme (which anyone can select to use, and would strip out these features and only display the essential board elements), how many people would want to use it?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: "Light" Theme?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 02:38:11 AM »
I wouldn't, but I'd be happy if we got rid of karma. I think it just doesn't work on a board this small.  :lix:

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 02:20:09 PM »
I'd like to have the logo, but I'd like to get rid of karma and lemming icons, too.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 03:04:51 PM »
I think a better option is something I've seen on simplemachines forums; you can thumb up each individual post. This way; for example; if you like a post but can't think of anything useful to say you can thumb it up to at least let the person know people liked it.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 07:24:48 AM »
One thing that a couple of users have brought up in the chat is that they find things such as the logo, karma, the lemming icons under the username, etc, to be pointless and just take up space. Other users clearly do like these (otherwise, for example, they wouldn't have volunteered to make images for them), so what I'm wondering is... if I were to look into making a "light" theme (which anyone can select to use, and would strip out these features and only display the essential board elements), how many people would want to use it?

This idea would probably be useful for people who have smartphones and Ipads. I like this idea. I've got an Ipad for Christmas so I might see what that's like. To make this even "lighter" maybe take off the smileys to make them text emoticons?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »
This idea would probably be useful for people who have smartphones and Ipads. I like this idea. I've got an Ipad for Christmas so I might see what that's like. To make this even "lighter" maybe take off the smileys to make them text emoticons?

The difference in size from the text to the smileys isn't large. In my opinion, getting rid of the smileys would make posts feel monochromatic.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 02:15:15 AM »
I'd like to have the logo, but I'd like to get rid of karma and lemming icons, too.
I'm definitely in favour of abolishing these too.

And if there were a light theme with less clutter I'm pretty sure I'd use it, though I don't think it's a must for me.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 10:01:28 AM »
Some people do seem to like those features, so I think the better option is to just not display any trace of them in a "Light" version theme. With that being said, I've changed the poll on this topic to get some opinions on what should and shouldn't be in such a theme.

Note that some things (such as the news flasher and Quick Reply) aren't listed in the poll because these can already be turned on and off (without requiring a special theme) in your settings or just by clicking the minus icon next to them.

Also the exact nature of some things can be determined seperately - for example, if you think "the logo should be there but a smaller one should be used", just vote to keep the logo and making it smaller can be discussed seperately later. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 09:01:13 PM »
I voted to keep everything apart from anything that involves pictures (as well as the Karma thing, seems like everyone is agreeing on that at the moment)

And yes, this is my first post using my IPad, and the way it looks is quite good, but the disadvantages being that the smileys and lemming icons look pixilated and that when I log on my avatar is covering the main forum logo.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 06:11:46 AM »
I wasn't even aware that the avatar did appear in the header (since I don't have an avatar myself) until ccexplore mentioned it; I'm going to deal with that either way, light theme or not.
My Lemmings projects

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 08:52:27 AM »
Cut everything except menu and breadcrumbs above the board list. If you want the username at the top, inline it with the menu.

Condense the board list vertically as much as possible. I am using this right now. This board listing could still be culled of empty space further.

Below the board list, there is no problem with clutter, the random info is nice.

Enlarge the font size to the browser's default. I remember geoo didn't need this, but I don't want the small font size. Empty space is easily a waste.

-- Simon