Author Topic: Community Request: Find Backroutes!  (Read 46973 times)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Community Request: Find Backroutes!
« on: November 10, 2014, 10:33:23 PM »
Hey everyone.  I've got a few Lemmini levels that I hope you guys can find time to backroute (or solve conventionally!).  One of them you may have seen on my YouTube channel, "JAILBREAK!", and möbius expressed interest in including it in the community pack, therefore I feel it should be thoroughly tested, especially as its difficulty is around 5 or 6 out of 6.  Find attached the levels below:

- JAILBREAK!
- Pipe Dream
- Lemming Pattern Baldness
- Mastermind

"Lemming Pattern Baldness" is a repeat of FUN 11 (and a play on the name "Keep your hair on, Mr. Lemming"), but has a very different toolset and I hope makes for a challenging and glitch-free puzzle.

NOTE: "JAILBREAK!" is confirmed not to be conventially solvable in Lemmix or CustLemm because of bombers behaving slightly differently in some circumstances.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Community Request: Find Backroutes!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 12:29:55 AM »
to Crane and everyone else: remember to use SuperLemmini if you're testing for the community pack. That is what will be used for the new pack.  :)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 01:43:19 AM »
Good call - JAILBREAK! doesn't work on SuperLemmini because climbing bombers now go through their "Oh no" animation.  This extra delay causes a lemming to turn around where he would otherwise walk into the newly made hole.  I'll make a modification to make it work again.  Also, one of the traps doesn't work.  Fixing time!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 03:13:05 AM »
Fixed Jailbreak.  This version has the wheel trap lowered slightly so it triggers, and a 10th Climber.  It will still work on Lemmini, although you can complete it with a leftover Climber.  I don't think this opens up any backroutes.  As a result, the level should work on Lemmix and CustLemm too.

I've also included "music: menace.mod" in the file so SuperLemmini plays the preferred music for this level.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 06:03:37 PM »
You wanted backroutes? You get backroutes! ;)
Please note that I still used the old version of Jailbreak, even though recorded everything with SuperLemmini.

PS: When does (Super)Lemmini allow the player to save replays? When I loaded the levels directly, this did not work. Only after I created a small levelpack.ini for the four levels, I was able to save replays.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 07:02:32 PM »
Please note that I still used the old version of Jailbreak, even though recorded everything with SuperLemmini.

PS: When does (Super)Lemmini allow the player to save replays? When I loaded the levels directly, this did not work. Only after I created a small levelpack.ini for the four levels, I was able to save replays.

With SuperLemmini loading a level via the command line (specifically, through NeoLemmix Editor's playtest mode), I found the replay was saved in the same folder that superlemmini.jar is in, after completing a level. Even though your case is slightly different, probably worth looking there.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 10:48:37 PM »

It isn't made obvious but this is how:
every time you press replay, no matter what level it is; the "replay" file located where namida said becomes that replay file. Copy and paste/rename that file wherever you want and that is your replay. Just remember to let the replay begin first before doing this. You have to copy/paste because this single file gets overwritten every time you replay.
As far as I know there is no other way of saving outside of a levelpack.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 11:14:12 PM »
- Well, "Lemming Pattern Baldness" is the intended solution - well done.  A fairly simple puzzle for the masters on this forum.

- "Pipe Dream" was a very embarrassing oversight!  I'll make sure you can't dig down that support in future.

- The backroute with "JAILBREAK!" will need some more thought when it comes to patching it... hmmm... I could just put a block of wall to prevent builders, but that would look very untidy.

- "Mastermind" might need one way arrows or steel to prevent bashing through that small void where you first build to.

P.S. Good work.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 02:25:11 AM »
Okay, here are the patched levels.  Have a bash at them now (no pun intended!)

I'm wondering if "Mastermind" should instead be named "Survival of the fittest".  The idea is that this level would be either the ultimate level of a pack, or very close to the end, given it has all the tools and you're supposed to be very masterful in their use. What's your opinion?

I've changed some of the scenery around in "Pipe Dream" to make it prettier and fairer, while "Jailbreak" is back to 9 climbers, but now also has a floater.  If it opens up any backroutes, go find them!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 02:43:18 AM »
Okay, here are the patched levels.  Have a bash at them now (no pun intended!)

I'm wondering if "Mastermind" should instead be named "Survival of the fittest".  The idea is that this level would be either the ultimate level of a pack, or very close to the end, given it has all the tools and you're supposed to be very masterful in their use. What's your opinion?

I've changed some of the scenery around in "Pipe Dream" to make it prettier and fairer, while "Jailbreak" is back to 9 climbers, but now also has a floater.  If it opens up any backroutes, go find them!

If you choose to stick with Mastermind, if will have to be Mastermind part 2, because remember we already have a level "Mastermind" by MazuLems (or whichever one comes later will be part 2). [Which I'm not against personally. There will be a Four Lemmings and a Funeral part 1 and 2]

That level looks pretty nice btw! reminds me a little of valley of chameleons from DoveLems

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 02:45:52 AM »
That was the other reason why I wondered about a rename... because of the presence of "Mastermined", which in my opinion is a classic.

As stated, the name "Mastermind" came about because of the variety of tools and their required uses, and the fact that there are at least two blocks of scenery that resemble brains.

Heck, being a community pack, I'd be up for asking the community for suggestions on the level name.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 07:06:39 AM »
I could be remembering wrong, but I'm sure I remember "Pipe Dream" as being the title of one of Insane Steve's more notable levels too?

"Jailbreak!" is also the title of one of my levels (Cunning 12 from Lemmings Plus II), though it's not nearly as notable of a level so it probably isn't such a big deal. (And hey, Cunning 15's title is the same as one of the levels from ONML. :P)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 02:12:39 PM »
Ah yes, I forgot about "Pipe Dream" - feel free to come up with an alternative name for that too!

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 04:52:55 PM »
I don't remember an Insane Steve level titled Pipe Dream (and looking through his sets on the Lemmings Level Database I don't find one) -- though I have used that title for my Lix single-player remake of the 2-player level The Pipe Room  8)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 05:14:19 PM »
Another set of solutions:
Jailbreak: The backroute still works and is in fact simpler than it was before. What about moving the hatch nearer to the wall?
Mastermind: Better, but it still cries "Backroute!" to me. Note that I haven't used the miner, which allows for quite some flexibility in the solution.
Pipe Dream: A much neater solution now, but I have quite a few spare skills.