Author Topic: Community Request: Find Backroutes!  (Read 46972 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Community Request: Find Backroutes!
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 11:44:25 AM »
Here some more replays: Jailbreak has still some issues, cf. the first two replays. They are only about the first part as the rest can be done as in previous solutions (and I was too lazy to do the rest of this level as well).
Another thing I noticed: The time limit in Jailbreak is rather sharp. Usually I have less then 20 seconds left. Perhaps you could relax it a little bit, or does this allow for new backrutes?

@ Cran; I'm not able to watch your replays, or Nepster I'm sorry but would you mind uploading them again when you have time? or just describe the solution to me
I attached my levelpack.ini. Perhaps this helps to watch the replays. The actual replays should still be attached to a previous post of mine.

Without looking I doubt your solution to Hey that's not cool is intended. The actual solution is not glitchy at all and (very) deceptively simple. This is sort of a hint but; it only works in SuperLemmini. You need to use both bashers.
My solution is not glitchy at all and does not rely on SuperLemmini mechanics. But are you talking about the correct level? Cool Guys gives you three bashers, not two.

As for Pipe Dream... sorry about the steel area.  I hoped I could get away with it considering there's a trap there.
Well, I tried to dig down at this part of the level, so the trap didn't worry me at all.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 12:13:53 PM »
And I take it the level appeared fine while in the editor?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 03:56:27 PM »
Yes, the level appeared fine in the editor, although the validator mentioned that the sizes of steel areas were too small, for steel areas that didn't exist (the indices were out of bounds).

The time limit is indeed rather sharp, but the intended solution does not actually contain the lemmings at all, and the last lemming always reaches the exit with about 30 to 40 seconds to spare.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2014, 05:02:43 PM »
Right, more adjustments done.  I generally don't like scenery that's there blatantly to stop a backroute, as it can look untidy and also occasionally redirect the player to the correct solution to the point that it becomes obvious.  It should still be possible to build around the obstructions, but theoretically you should then not have enough to complete the level.  Still, here we go.

There's still no metal plates on Pipe Dream, but the trap's housing and the nearby one-way arrows should hopefully make the steel zone slightly excuseable.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2014, 05:49:38 PM »
Without looking I doubt your solution to Hey that's not cool is intended. The actual solution is not glitchy at all and (very) deceptively simple. This is sort of a hint but; it only works in SuperLemmini. You need to use both bashers.
My solution is not glitchy at all and does not rely on SuperLemmini mechanics. But are you talking about the correct level? Cool Guys gives you three bashers, not two.

Sorry, I meant 3 bashers, you need all 3.

I'm sorry but you're going to have to explain the solution to me via PM. I cannot get replays to work correctly. I have to sit down and figure it out for a while. [when I load From the Brink and load your replay for From the Brink, the level "Impasse" comes up wtf?]
I am using the latest version btw

Alternatively you can use Old Lemmini if your solution works in it.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2014, 06:22:46 PM »
This is a 2-basher solution to "Hey that's not cool guys" (using Nepster's levelpack.ini file)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2014, 07:39:54 PM »
Solutions to the newest versions of Mastermind and Pipe Dream. If I see it correctly, my solutions jailbreakV4_2.rpl and jailbreakV4_3.rpl should still work in the newest version of Jailbreak. Intended?

Moreover (Old)Lemmini solutions to From the Brink and Cool Guys. With Cool Guys I recorded the 2-basher solution I had in mind, which differs somewhat from Crane's.

I'm sorry but you're going to have to explain the solution to me via PM. I cannot get replays to work correctly. I have to sit down and figure it out for a while. [when I load From the Brink and load your replay for From the Brink, the level "Impasse" comes up wtf?]
I am using the latest version btw
I downloaded my SuperLemmini version about a week ago, so I hope it is still the current one. Have you tried the following: Create a new subfolder of the folder "levels" called something like "9_Test". Then put in my file levelpack.ini and the level files of your and Crane's levels. Then after starting SuperLemmini you should not need to load the levels specifically, but can select them directly. This way loading replays does not create any problems (at least with me).

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2014, 09:56:48 PM »
I don't see those particular versions of the replay available for download.  Do you have one that's known to work on the latest iteration of JAILBREAK?

Nepster... you and your ability to use every hole or bit of terrain available!  In the meantime, here are the next iterations of Pipe Dream and Mastermind.  Hopefully my patching is not obvious.  Initially I put an extra steel plate in the culprit area of Mastermind, but then I discovered that increasing the size of the void solved the problem just as well.  Good luck.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2014, 10:14:10 PM »
Erk, ignore that version of Pipe Dream.  I missed something.  Here we go.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2014, 10:37:24 PM »
That was a very clever solution to From the Brink! Might as well leave it in, its not too different from the intended.
[note: the original actually has two less bombers and no floaters and the intended solution is highly insane, (no offense)] We're not going with that for the pack though.

Hey that's not cool guys; I think I can fix that. This level has been fraught with many backroutes that's why I figured your solution was one. [Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner?]
This is ISteve's level, so if you're reading this ISteve, take a look and tell me if you don't like that change.
Use SuperLemmini this time.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2014, 10:46:16 PM »
@Crane: Some new (or rather modified) solutions. Turns out that the steel block in Mastermind would have been the better choice.

@Mobius: In case you don't know, a remake of the original level with its highly insane solution is part of ClamLix (and one of its last level iirc).

EDIT: New solution to Cool Guys, which I would not call "deceptively simple".

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2014, 12:28:43 AM »
Ah geez, nice going!  Still, your backroutes are slowly starting to resemble the intended solutions more and more.  Hopefully I can get them all patched before I hit 10 versions like with Thanatos Gambit!

Right, let's see if they work now!  I just hope I haven't opened up a backroute on "JAILBREAK!".

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2014, 01:18:19 AM »
Just to clarify... the intended solutions for all three levels use all the tools, some maybe not in the way you would think.

If Superlemmini ever gets the ability to support hints (I'll put a request in), these would be the hints for the levels.

- Pipe Dream: Floaters and Builders are not the only way to slow a Lemming down.
- JAILBREAK!: Escaped convicts don't like being contained.
- Mastermind: Use all of your knowledge to space out the pathfinders, and prove yourself the Lemmings master.

(Both JAILBREAK! and Mastermind have a fairly high difficulty of execution)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2014, 03:50:55 PM »
Some more backroutes (with spare skills). I don't think the top route in Mastermind is completely removed yet, but I haven't really tried it yet.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2014, 11:39:18 PM »
Next versions.