Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] GeoffLems  (Read 33710 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: GeoffLems - v0.01 (remake of the original Lemmings)
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »
Thanks for creating these excellent levels :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:!

Fun 30: A great level for finishing Fun.
Tricky 4: Another great level, but too hard for its position.
Tricky 6: A level that feels like it could become a great puzzle. Unfortunately it has an easy solution saving 100%.
Tricky 12: I agree with namida about the bomber placement.
Tricky 19: Nice little level - assuming you reduce the skill set... At the moment it feels very much like a Fun level.
Tricky 21: An excellent level. Far too hard for Tricky though, because one has so many possible approaches to this level. See my comment to Taxing 20 as well.
Tricky 26: I don't need the pixel-precision of namida, but my solution is nevertheless nothing you should have in Tricky. And please make it clear to the player that the direct drom from the middle platform is survivable (it's only 61 pixels). When I first reached this level, I spent quite some time planning how to get the lemmings down, when this is trivial and automatic.
Tricky 27: This is another trick that is very well-known. Contrary to namida and geoo, this is not one my favourite Tricky levels (though it's definitely not bad).
Tricky 30: A very long level and I need every of the 20 builders (and during my first attempt I was even 1 builder short and had to do almost everything again). Together with Mayhem 28 my least favourite.
Taxing 2: A very good level. But you should raise the save requirements to remove the backroute I attached (assuming it is indeed a backroute).
Taxing 7: very generous on the save requirements.
Taxing 9: A good level - for early Tricky. It is easily solvable with only 2 climbers, 2 floaters, 1 blocker and 1 miner.
Taxing 12: One of the very few builder-heavy levels I ever encountered that I really liked.
Taxing 13: Good level, even if it's not really hard to save 90%.
Taxing 14: I can't agree with namida's remark - I had over 1 minute left.
Taxing 15: Way too easy with a great deal more skills than needed.
Taxing 17: I guess I found the same backroute as namida.
Taxing 19: Another very good level that is easier than placed. I used only 4 skills.
Taxing 20: This level is easier than Tricky 21 and I don't think the beginning is that great...
Taxing 22: Though not completely original, it's always nice to see such a level again.
Taxing 23: Absolutely unique and excellent level!
Taxing 24: Contrary to namida, timing is an issue with my solution. Nevertheless my basher usage is a strong indicator that I found a backroute.
Taxing 25: A very very good level.
Taxing 26: Sorry, but this level is straight-forward and not interesting at all.
Taxing 27: Feels like a slight variation of the intended solution.
Taxing 29: A very good idea and my solution doesn't rely on the glitchy behaviour namida mentiones.
Mayhem 1: Again a direct drop works, though it is not necessary. Whenever I want to remove this possibility of a direct drop, I try to place a small terrain piece behind the exit directly over its trigger area. Then the falling lemmings usually splat (as they should) instead of jumping into the exit.
Mayhem 2: One of the three best levels in your pack! Even if it didn't take me long to work out the solution.
Mayhem 4: Fortunately one can save 90% and thus reduce the amount of bomber timing.
Mayhem 5: So much unused terrain about... I really wonder whether my solution is intended?
Mayhem 8: Way too easy for Mayhem and more or less staight-forward.
Mayhem 9: Even if your level isn't the first that features this strategy, it was very enjoyable.
Mayhem 10: Not a fan of this one.
Mayhem 14: An absolutely excellent level :thumbsup:! But please remove the backroute I attached as a second solution.
Mayhem 15: And again a very good idea, even though the first half was pretty uninteresting.
Mayhem 17: I already solved the first version of this level in this way.
Mayhem 19: Digger placement was slightly annoying, but otherwise a good level.
Mayhem 20: I likely backrouted this one.
Mayhem 21: ...and another likely backroute.
Mayhem 22: Together with Mayhem 2 and 14 the best level! I never needed pixel-precise skill assignment anywhere.
Mayhem 23: Another backroute.
Mayhem 25: Apart from a very precise bomber placement, this level was much fun, though easier than its placement.
Mayhem 26: A few good ideas, but too heavy on builders.
Mayhem 27: An excellent mulit-tasking level! As with Tricky 26, please make sure that the player doesn't mistake the drop on the very right for a splatting fall.
Mayhem 30: I guess this is more or less the same relatively easy solution namida already found.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 05:01:41 AM »
If you aren't going to do a new version just yet, any chance you can upload the missing Mayhem 12?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »
Hey redroom.
I'm not sure to play the pack since it's for Lemmix, but I wanted to say that I like your designs (judging by the screenshots). :thumbsup:

This was just my useless post, have a nice day :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 10:52:06 AM »
Hey redroom.
I'm not sure to play the pack since it's for Lemmix, but I wanted to say that I like your designs (judging by the screenshots). :thumbsup:

This was just my useless post, have a nice day :)

I'd highly reccomend giving it a go. It uses the Lemmix player (which is very simple); it doesn't need the complicated-to-set-up editor to play it, so it's not a hassle to get going - it's literally just a matter of unzip it and run the EXE. (Well, if you're on Linux you'll need WINE, and last time I tried that (admittedly quite a while ago, so it was an older version of WINE and possibly even an older version of Lemmix) there were minor sound glitches but nothing that made it unplayable.) And there are some GREAT levels in there. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »
I'm simply more comfortable with Lemmini mechanics and its replay system, but yes I guess it would be stupid to miss a great set of levels because of that :D
I'm playing Revenge of the Lemmings right now (which is neaaaaaaat) so I won't start to play another big pack for the moment. But you convinced me so, after this one maybe... :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »
Lemmix has a very good replay system too, actually - as well as save and load state!

At any time during a level, you can press "R" to restart from the beginning in replay mode. (You CAN'T do this from the postview screen, though.)
At any time during a level, as well as on the postview screen, you can press "U" to save a replay file.
At any time during a level, you can press "L" to load a replay file.
You can press enter at any time to save state, and backspace to load your last saved state.
While paused, you can also push B to go back one frame. I believe if you hold it, it acts as a kind of "rewind", though it can be somewhat slow.
My Lemmings projects

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 11:10:23 PM »
I played through the rest of Mayhem a while ago and I was hoping I could give Taxing a try too, but I haven't got around to doing that and won't within the next two weeks at least, so here are my replays for the second half of Mayhem.

Mayhem 16: Found this kinda interesting, even though my solution ended up having a somewhat brute-force like feel to it.
Mayhem 18: Nice fine-tuning puzzle.
Mayhem 19: Probably backroute, solution didn't feel satisfying.
Mayhem 22: Elegant one, and like Nepster I didn't need precision here.
Mayhem 23: Probably bad backroute?
Mayhem 24: I'm not such a big fan of bomber-timing, but this one turned into a nifty puzzle. I saved a few skills so I wonder whether my solution is overly complicated?
Mayhem 27: Nice arrangement puzzle, but I thought the fall at the right was deadly until reading Nepster's post. So I solved it saving some skills that I used on preventing climbers from going up there so they don't splat.
Mayhem 28: I'm so glad there's fast forward here. I mean the level isn't bad per se and there's some room for errors due to the save requirement, but the level takes soooo long... Reminds me a bit of "Going Up" from the original

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 02:57:41 PM »
If you aren't going to do a new version just yet, any chance you can upload the missing Mayhem 12?
It's here.  http://redroom.x10.mx/lemmings/0412.lvl

I'll probably have version 2 up sometime in september.  There are a lot of backroutes to be patched up :P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 03:06:24 PM »
Here's my solution. That was another really good level! :D
My Lemmings projects

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
Re: GeoffLems - v0.02 (updated)
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 12:45:17 AM »
v0.02 is up.  See the OP for details.  A bit more polished this time  :)
http://redroom.x10.mx/lemmings/GeoffLems_v0.2.zip

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 02:45:30 PM »
My feedback on the new version:

Fun 26 - This level becomes a bit on the long side when done under Fun-style conditions.

Tricky 3 - I think this is much better positioning for this level.
Tricky 6 - This level is pretty cool. :)
Tricky 10 - Not bad, though is this the solution you intended?
Tricky 13 - This is a pretty cool level now, though might be placed a bit early? Also - on your list in the first post, you have Tricky 15 listed before this one.
Tricky 15 - I'm not noticing any difference here?
Tricky 18 - Good level for the position.
Tricky 22 - If I remember correctly, this is more or less how I did this level before.
Tricky 23 - You've listed both this one and the previous one as being originally Tricky 19. Anyway, I'm not sure if my solution might still be a backroute, as I didn't use the climber, floater or miner...
Tricky 27 - This is a really good level! Though it can be beaten fairly easily with only two builders. :P
Tricky 28 - This level seems to be impossible now. o_O Assuming there isn't a mistake that's actually made it impossible, this level is definitely far too hard for Tricky!

Taxing 1 - I think this might still be a backroute, since it saves 95% and doesn't use most of the skills...?
Taxing 2 - I don't think my solution was a backroute, but if it was, it still works.
Taxing 3 - Much better! :)
Taxing 6 - It's possible I've backrouted this again, but if not, DAMN those bashers need to be precise...
Taxing 13 - Some of the bombers end up still needing to be timed, due to blockers interfering with other lemmings. Still a good level though.
Taxing 25 - Neat level now! :D
Taxing 26 - Also pretty cool. :)
Taxing 27 - Fairly sure I backrouted it.
Taxing 28 - Still pretty easy really, though yes, the way blocker trigger areas work under traditional Lemmix could get very annoying here.

I haven't looked at the new Mayhem levels yet, I will a bit later on. Here's my replays for all the new/revised levels (including the ones I didn't comment on), except Tricky 15 which doesn't seem to be any different, and Tricky 28 which I wasn't able to solve.

By the way, I'm not sure if you're aware, but in the CustLemmix topic, there's a download called "Flexi Toolkit" which can be used to build a customized Lemmix player with everything embedded in the EXE (rather than having a whole bunch of LVL files) - the version in that topic is traditional Lemmix, not NeoLemmix (a NeoLemmix version of the toolkit does also exist). Might be useful for your pack. Let me know if you need any help with how to use it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 09:56:49 PM »
Mayhem 1 - This might be another backroute, because it doesn't make use of the length of the beam, and saves 100%...
Mayhem 3 - I don't remember how many builders it had before, but I think it was 10? I actually managed to solve this version with 9.
Mayhem 4 - This is a REALLY good level! Took me a while to find the solution.
Mayhem 5 - Backroute? This is basically just a more-finicky version of my previous solution...
Mayhem 7 - Tricky 15 was already one of the less-popular levels, did it really need a repeat? That aside, this level is also far too easy for Mayhem.
Mayhem 8 - My previous solution still works with one minor change.
Mayhem 10 - Took me a while to think of how to do this one. Pretty clever!
Mayhem 12 - If my solution is the intended one, this is one of the most creative levels I've ever seen!
Mayhem 13 - First thing to point out - there's one pixel on the right side of the fire pit where the lemmings can land safely. This will probably give rise to some backroutes. I added an extra replay showing what I mean. Apart from that, I think my solution (which doesn't take advantage of that) might also be another backroute?
Mayhem 14 - Might be a backroute? Since my route saves 96%... getting 96% this way is a bit finnicky, but getting 92% this way - still well over the requirement - is very easy.
Mayhem 15 - I don't really like this one. The time limit is annoyingly tight - we're talking having on the order of a couple of seconds to spare if the solution is perfect. Aside from that, this level is dead simple. (And let's face it, the level's name isn't doing it any favors either. :P )

Gonna take a break now, I'll do the rest soon.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 11:40:46 PM »
Here my impressions of the new/revised levels:

Tricky 10: Two solutions.
Tricky 27: It can be beaten with only one builder as well :P. But I agree on the "good level" part of namida's remark.
Tricky 28: Solvable and not as hard as namida's remark would suggest. Tricky 29 is far harder...
Taxing 1: Likely the same backroute as namida's.
Taxing 2: Huh... even the solution I thought was intended doesn't work any more, because I can't turn around the lemmings which are going to the gap on the left. But with a little glitching the level becomes quite simple.
Taxing 4: The now deadly fall makes the level much more interesting, but the variety of skills still creates many solutions. Attached only one no-builder solution, but if you want, I can record several more.
Taxing 6: I agree with namida's remark.
Taxing 18: My solution still works.
Taxing 22: This one turned now into an excellent level!
Taxing 25: Not sure whether this is intended?
Taxing 26: Much more interesting than in V1.
Taxing 27: Good chance that this is a backroute as well.
Taxing 28: Not much difference to before.
Mayhem 4: The level got somewhat harder, though I am still not sure about having found the intended solution.
Mayhem 7: Solution with only 7 builders (because when planning my solution, I was somehow under the impression that I had only so many builders :XD:)
Mayhem 8: My solution is exactly the same as before. I don't even know what has changed?
Mayhem 10: Good level.
Mayhem 11: Absolutely excellent level :thumbsup:!
Mayhem 12: 99% saved.
Mayhem 13: Good level, though I already knew this trick from the Lix community level pack.
Mayhem 14: I too can save 96% without much trouble.
Mayhem 15: The time limit is very tight and the level is solvable with 5 skills of each (though my solution uses 6 builders for convenience).
Mayhem 16: My backroute still works. And you forgot this level when setting your one-way arrows to "only on terrain".
Mayhem 17: 100% possible.
Mayhem 18: Another absolutely excellent level :thumbsup:!
Mayhem 19: I still have one basher left over. But it already was and still remains a very good level!
Mayhem 24: This is the least endearing change you made from V1 to V2. The method is the same as in the first appearence of this level, but only much much more fiddly.
Mayhem 26: The third absolutely excellent level you added :thumbsup:!
Mayhem 27: My solution is not much different from my previous one...
Mayhem 29: Pretty sure, this is not quite intended.
Mayhem 30: Far better than V1, though I still have a few spare skills.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 01:46:17 AM »
Mayhem 16 - Might be another backroute? Also, that second digger needs to be pretty precise, if this is the intended route.
Mayhem 17 - Backroute? If not, it did take me a while to find, so nice. :P
Mayhem 18 - This one was pretty hard! Nice level!
Mayhem 19 - Very nice! :)
Mayhem 20 - Took me a while to work out what to do here. Very good!
Mayhem 21 - I still don't find this level very interesting, sorry.
Mayhem 24 - AH! I see! I didn't watch Nepster's replay yet, but I think he might've missed something here (that I myself also missed the first time around). Very clever!
Mayhem 26 - It's a good level, but the time limit should probably be increased a bit. It's very tight, and doesn't seem to add anything to the level.
Mayhem 27 - Same basic idea as before, it's just harder to pull off now.
Mayhem 28 - I can't solve this one. >_> I would be able to solve it if it weren't for the one-way-right miner glitch, or if it didn't quite need 100%, or if there were a few more floaters, but as it stands, I can't. I'll have to come back to it.
Mayhem 29 - Not a bad level, though one thing to be aware of - if you dig 7 pixels on the bottom-left then bash, he goes straight through the steel (if you do 8 pixels, he stops like he should, and you can still climb out of it, but it is a bit annoying).
Mayhem 30 - This one also has me stumped. :/

I'll come back to Mayhem 28 and 30 (and Tricky 28) later on, but here's my replays for the rest.

EDIT: Solved Tricky 28. I still say it's too hard for Tricky, though maybe not as hard as I thought at first - I'd definitely say at least mid-Taxing though.

EDIT: Solved Mayhem 28. That was... BRILLIANT!!!
EDIT: Solved Mayhem 30, though I'm fairly sure this is a backroute...
My Lemmings projects

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 03:19:18 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the replays!  Watched some of them tonight.

Tricky 28 - This level was hard to place... It's not very difficult once you know the solution, but it is a bit subtle for tricky.
Taxing 2 - Namida's solution is the intended one.
Taxing 6 - This is a backroute, I will need to fix it somehow.  The intended solution is probably too subtle for early Taxing.
Taxing 27 - Backroute.   :P  Not hard to fix.
Mayhem 1 - The backroute here is probably cleverer than the intended solution!    :thumbsup:   I could block it, but it might be cool to leave a few backroutes like this in.
Mayhem 4 - Both valid solutions.  :)
Mayhem 5 - See Mayhem 1
Mayhem 7 - Eh, I might keep it due to personal taste.  It's kind of a breather level at this stage.
Mayhem 13 - Nepster's solution is the intended one
Mayhem 14 - I don't have any problem with these solutions.  The level is a bit easy for Mayhem 14 though.
Mayhem 15 - The solution is as intended.  I agree, the time is REALLY tight.  It's kind of in the spirit of the original Just a Minute levels (which we all love right????:sick:)
Mayhem 27 - Still backrouted.  Not sure I can salvage this one.
Mayhem 28 - I didn't account for the miner turnaroud trick.  It shouldn't be needed here, I will confirm...
Mayhem 29 - Pretty close to the intended solution.  I'll probably make an adjustment to the ground on the lower part.
Mayhem 30 - Nepster's solution is close, but again, I didn't account for the miner turnaround trick.

If you want me to post my own replays for any level (eg. Mayhem 28), let me know.