Author Topic: Fewest repeats of the same skill to beat levels.  (Read 29668 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Fewest repeats of the same skill to beat levels.
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2013, 12:50:24 PM »
Taxing 5 improved to 5, glitch-free (steel destruction is incidental).  I based this on my 5-builder 100% solution from WSCYLW-max% challenge, so potentially more complicated than actually needed for this challenge.  Going lower would require sliding so I'll leave that for some other time.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2020, 01:35:17 PM »
Just looking at the remaining levels of Original Lemmings. It's harder to execute these solutions when some of the replays disappear, and also without specific resources on what exact implications need to occur to pull off these glitches. I have made some good results here, but some levels I'm struggling with too.

Fun 15 I can confirm is improved to 4 of each. Replay attached. And yep, there is sliding involved here.

Mayhem 18: Improved to 6 of each. This solution combines elements of the 3 builder replay with the old 8-builder's data for the skills used on each side. In order to distribute the skills evenly it turned out I needed to combine the 3-builder's left side solution with the 8-builder's right.

Taxing 4 requires more sliding obviously, but where to do it will take some guessing. Apparently I can't see the 1-builder or the 7-skill solution on the forums anywhere :( According to the 7-skill post you'll need to execute several release rate changes. Result at the moment stands at 5 thanks to a 1 builder solution.

Mayhem 14 is easily doable with 16, but can be done with less. Apparently the 15-skill replay uses 1 bomber, 1 blocker, 4 builders and 2 diggers, which adds up to 8, and involves the glitch that doesn't work on Lemmix replays (And therefore, I don't know how to pull this off). So far I can't tell which 7 other skills are required to make the solution work.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2020, 07:20:55 PM »
Just looking at the remaining levels of Original Lemmings. It's harder to execute these solutions when some of the replays disappear, and also without specific resources on what exact implications need to occur to pull off these glitches. I have made some good results here, but some levels I'm struggling with too.

Fun 15 I can confirm is improved to 4 of each. Replay attached. And yep, there is sliding involved here.

Mayhem 18: Improved to 6 of each. This solution combines elements of the 3 builder replay with the old 8-builder's data for the skills used on each side. In order to distribute the skills evenly it turned out I needed to combine the 3-builder's left side solution with the 8-builder's right.

Taxing 4 requires more sliding obviously, but where to do it will take some guessing. Apparently I can't see the 1-builder or the 7-skill solution on the forums anywhere :( According to the 7-skill post you'll need to execute several release rate changes. Result at the moment stands at 5 thanks to a 1 builder solution.

Mayhem 14 is easily doable with 16, but can be done with less. Apparently the 15-skill replay uses 1 bomber, 1 blocker, 4 builders and 2 diggers, which adds up to 8, and involves the glitch that doesn't work on Lemmix replays (And therefore, I don't know how to pull this off). So far I can't tell which 7 other skills are required to make the solution work.

The glitch in question works on Lemmix, including in replays, if you use the updated versions (with added code by myself and ccexplore - this particular glitch is ccexplore's doing) here: https://www.neolemmix.com/?page=download_list&program=42

EricLang's original versions definitely did not support this glitch, and my understanding is that it's among the glitches his recent improved version doesn't support either.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2020, 10:48:28 PM »
Tricky 14 is improved to 6 of each, glitch-free (unless you count a miner's backswing taking out terrain as a glitch).  The attached screenshot shows the general route.  The blockers in the attached screenshot were placed to stop the respective lemmings from digging/bashing; they do not block the crowd from walking left-to-right.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2020, 06:08:34 AM »
Nice! I had a go at trying to copy your route to make a Lemmix replay, but only got as far as the halfway point. Here's what I got below. The time is surprisingly really tight on this level! :sick: Looks like you've used several lemmings to make this route work. How many lemmings did you use as workers? I'm guessing about four, but I used probably too many. Closely looking at the image, it looks like you cut the terrain with another lem during a build, something I was also able to pull off in my replay. Did you make any RR changes near the start? Also wondering, on the last part of the level if you used any more skills apart from the blocker to ascend the lemmings high enough to execute that highest basher.

The glitch in question works on Lemmix, including in replays, if you use the updated versions (with added code by myself and ccexplore - this particular glitch is ccexplore's doing) here: https://www.neolemmix.com/?page=download_list&program=42

EricLang's original versions definitely did not support this glitch, and my understanding is that it's among the glitches his recent improved version doesn't support either.

I do have these versions by the way. Just looking for a video of it really. Still, I'm glad they've been included in the Lemmix player now. Thanks to both of you.

EDIT: Made it this time! Only 88% though, but still enough to pass. Solved replay attached.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 02:10:45 PM by Minim »
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2020, 05:16:41 AM »
My 4-builder solution to Mayhem 25 also improves the result for this thread to 4 (glitch).

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2020, 08:29:50 PM »

Right. I can safely say that I've made improvements on the two remaining levels in question, with one of them being a final result. Both replays attached.

Taxing 4's final result is 2 (glitch). It's the same as the previously unreleased 1-builder solution but with a simple swap: The falling blocker for a well-timed bomber.

On Mayhem 14, the lowest I can go is 8 (glitch). Hard to believe that blockers is the most used skill here. BTW this is a variation of the 15-skill part 1 solution replay. Looking at Clam's spoiler over in the minimum skills thread, it looks like he used at least 2 bombers, probably 2 blockers (to execute the steel glitch) and 3 diggers, which added together would make 5, but I still can't verify without a replay.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2020, 03:03:51 AM »
Taxing 15: 3

Do you by any chance happen to have the replay for this one?

Also, Crazy 8 3-of-each achieved without glitches.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 03:17:37 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2021, 07:51:46 PM »
No replay, but I was able to rework the solution and include a few screenshots.

Taxing 15 - 3 of each (click to show/hide)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2021, 04:58:19 AM »
Here's a replay of it. :)
My Lemmings projects