Author Topic: Acorn Lemmings music  (Read 13853 times)

Offline weirdybeardy

• View Profile
Acorn Lemmings music
« on: November 20, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »
How many people on this forum had their first experience of Lemmings on the Acorn Archimedes...? I've seen threads regarding level music in mp3 format from other versions, but are the Acorn Lemmings tunes available anywhere? Some of the music in ONML is brilliant.  :) Sorry if this has been covered already...
My projects:

Lemmings in Weirdyland (NeoLemmix):
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6135.0

My levels for Lemmings 2 The Tribes can be found here:
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=990.0

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Acorn Lemmings music
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 03:53:07 PM »
Acorn Music! I heard of it as well! :thumbsup:

It was on a computer that my uncle had a long time ago. Unfortunately I didn't have ONML but the original one I had had a couple of different tunes. They've changed the music for the special levels compared to the Amiga version. I loved their "MENACE" and the "Shadow of the Beast 2" especially.

I don't have a downloadable of any tunes, although I have completely memorised one of them which was different to any other version. If you want to hear it you'll have to wait, because I would need to get my recording equipment up and running before I can play and attach it..
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »
I had no idea this port had different music.  I imagine it could be emulated and someone could rip some MP3s.  (In fact, I can probably try tomorrow)

UPDATE: In the mean time, I came across this youtube video as a little taster for those unfamiliar with this soundtrack, as I was.

An interesting observation: I noticed that while these sound like they're probably using the same instrument set as the Amiga version (although the drums sound a little different), I've noticed the arrangements themselves are just like the ones on Master System / Game Gear.  Or the other way around.

UPDATE #2: Here's ONML.  Well, low quality and with some dude talking over it, but you can kinda hear the music.  Wow, is it completely different?

Offline weirdybeardy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 01:16:37 PM »
I actually still own an Acorn computer and I play Lemmings on it from time to time - that's how I know how good the music is.  :thumbsup: So the issue is not being unable to listen to the music, but wondering if they're out there as MP3s so I can "apply" them to my PC Lemmings set up with Lemmix and Lemmini and all that jazz. I wouldn't know how to emulate it and record it or whatever.

Some of the music on Acorn ONML takes me right back to my childhood. Works every time. The music on the Acorn version of L2:Tribes is pretty groovy also.  :D
My projects:

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 02:31:31 PM »
An interesting observation: I noticed that while these sound like they're probably using the same instrument set as the Amiga version (although the drums sound a little different), I've noticed the arrangements themselves are just like the ones on Master System / Game Gear.  Or the other way around.

There's a reason for that; the same person, Matt Furniss, did the songs for those three versions. :)
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 10:41:16 PM »
OK, so I tried some recording, and either my computer is too weak to emulate and record at the same time, the emulator (Arculator) doesn't emulate sound perfectly, or the Archimedes' audio really was somewhat crackly.  Because the recording I was able to make seems to have crackly audio.

Here's a recording from Just Dig.  If the crackling isn't too much of a problem I can continue making these.

Weirdybeardy, perhaps you could record your Acorn's output and compare.  If it has a speaker/headphone jack, which I assume it does, just run a normal old audio cable from there to the mic in on your PC, and record using Audacity or a similar program.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 02:10:46 PM »
I decided to download an emulator to see what the hubbub's about.  Amiga instruments with different arrangements is definitely a good way to describe the Acorn Lemming's music.  I have only listened to 3 of the Lemmings 1 tunes (especially since I don't have the passwords to the levels, especially the special graphics ones), and I think some I prefer the Amiga version more (in particular, some tunes in the Acorn version were cut short compared with the original), but it's definitely refreshing to hear some of the arrangements.

What really surprised and delighted me though is Acorn ONML.  Instead of the 6 arguably mediocre tunes we get on Amiga, DOS, etc., you actually get a total of 25 new tunes that are in the same vein as the original Lemmings--a few originals together with many familiar music from either classical or "folk tunes" (for lack of a better term, but you know what I mean, things like "London Bridge is Falling Down" in Lemmings 1).  Now that's cool, and definitely what one would expect the music for ONML to be--nay, should be. :thumbsup:

On my home machine with the emulator, I didn't notice any crackling, but unfortunately I did notice some skips every now and then, which indicates the emulator's not quite fast enough on that computer to handle everything in time.  If I have time I'll see if I can try it out on a few other computers available to me, and hopefully there's one that's good enough for recording the music.  Of course, I think I first want some confirmation from weirdybeardy or others who own the actual computer to tell me whether the music from the emulator is close enough to the real thing to worth recording for.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »
I like the music i've heard up 'til now, but i'm finding it hard to beat We All Fall Down without a pause shortcut key. Or maybe I can use a Joystick / Controller, as I seem to perform better with one of those. Anyway, is there a pause button apart from the one on the UI?
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 09:35:47 PM »
I haven't found it yet I'm afraid.

Another thing I haven't found anywhere on the web so far is a list of level codes for Acorn Lemmings and ONML.  I did find on GameFAQs the level codes for Lynx Lemmings, and they look similar enough in style (yeah, they're not the random jumble of letters you see in most ports) to what little I've seen in Acorn ONML that I think they might apply to Acorn Lemmings as well.  I don't have a chance yet to test them out though until I'm back home.  And I didn't find any Lynx ONML level codes either, so no luck yet with Acorn ONML. :(

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 10:15:37 AM »
I've confirmed that the Lynx level codes from GameFAQs is good for Acorn Lemmings.  Also, here's a page of codes for Acorn ONML.

I still haven't found a way to pause with the keyboard though, if there's even one.  I pretty much just mesh all the keys on my keyboard, but no pausing whatsoever happened. :(

But at least I have a quicker way to get to all the Acorn music now, all 22 (yes, they have 18 instead of 17 "standard level" tunes) from Lemmings and 25 from ONML. 8-)

[edit: speaking of the codes, check out the ones from Crazy 12-Wild 2 :D]
[edit: updated link for Acorn ONML codes, old one was defunct]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:15:28 AM by ccexplore »

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 05:30:25 PM »
Seems like all of the passwords were made in a single session. :P
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 07:03:32 PM »
HELPIVEGOTFOURTYMOREPASSWORDTOTHINKUPANDIAMRUNNINGOUTOFIDEASRATHERFASTSOPLEASEIFYOUAREABITUPSETBYALLTHISTHENIMQUITESORRY
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 08:21:12 PM »
HELPIVEGOTFOURTYMOREPASSWORDTOTHINKUPANDIAMRUNNINGOUTOFIDEASRATHERFASTSOPLEASEIFYOUAREABITUPSETBYALLTHISTHENIMQUITESORRY
Woo! ??? hes under a lot of presure

Offline weirdybeardy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 09:39:50 AM »
On Acorn Lemmings, entering the code "IAMNOTGOOD" allows you to skip levels by pressing the space bar.

On Acorn ONML, the code is "FIDDLECODE".

If the emulation is authentic, then these cheat codes should be included.  8)
My projects:

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 10:24:56 AM »
Yep, those work.  Of course, that's not usually the kind of things emulators get wrong on. :P