Author Topic: Lemmings 1 (SNES) PC Remake  (Read 15818 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: Lemmings 1 (SNES) PC Remake
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 01:55:22 AM »
I would imagine so - otherwise he might as well just use an emulator.

Speaking of which, I must ask who the **** decided to make it so you have 10 seconds to continue if you fail a level and then if you don't react in time make you start back from Just Dig.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 12:21:23 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore on 2009-11-18 13:09:01
When I'm back home later today, I can give you the data from DOS Lemmings (I'm pretty sure they use the same data for all similar ports).  It's basically just a big table of particle positions.  Alternatively, you can use a formula for parabolic motions (which appears to be the same type of motion as the ones represented in the table) to implement your own particle explosions.
Almost forgot about this.

See attached explodedata.txt.  There are a total of 80 explosion particles, and the entire explosion sequence lasts 52 animation frames, but the very first frame has no particles displayed yet--you just draw the reddish "bang" graphics.  So it's just 51 frames of explosion particles.

explodedata.txt shows for each of the 80 particles, their (x,y) positions for each of the 51 frames.  Most particles don't actually last for all 51 frames, but instead disappear earlier.  For example, particle #1 in the table will only last one frame and then disappear, hence only one entry.  Particle #10 lasts 15 frames before disappearing.  (x,y) is relative to the position of the pixel the exploding lemming was standing on, following the usual PC graphics convention that positive x is to the right and positive y is down.

The coloring of the particles (if you want to follow the one from the game instead of your own color scheme) are assigned as follows.  Lemmings graphics uses a 16-color palette (the palette changes from graphics set to set), so pixel color values range from 0-15, and here's the particle color scheme:

particle #1: 4
particle #2: 15
particle #3: 14
particle #4: 13
particle #5: 12
particle #6: 11
particle #7: 10
particle #8: 9
particle #9: 8
particle #10: 11
particle #11: 10
particle #12: 9
particle #13: 8
particle #14: 7
particle #15: 6
particle #16: 2

Repeat this sequence of color assignments on particles #17-#32, then #33-#48, etc.

I'm unfamiliar with MMF2, so if the data in explodedata.txt is formatted in a way that's awkward to reformat for MMF2 use, I can rewrite my script to reformat the data in a more suitable way, if you can describe how you want it.  Alternatively, I can give you the original raw binary data format (as ripped from DOS game) for the table, although that doesn't sound very easy to me since you'd have to write your own code to read the binary data.

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:29:35 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 12:33:30 PM »
Speaking of which, I must ask who the **** decided to make it so you have 10 seconds to continue if you fail a level and then if you don't react in time make you start back from Just Dig.

:P Heh, yeah it's annoying.  Actually, it really reminds me of arcade games, where when you lose, it might give you a 10 second countdown to insert more coins to continue (or something like that).  Perhaps the company that made the SNES port mainly did arcade games and can't shake old habits? ;)

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 01:15:42 PM »
Thank you very much ccexplore - the particle table looks quite promising and I'll try to work the rest out tonight (in a hurry now).

Dullstar - yep I'm playing Lemmings on the SNES Emulator to rip gfx and see how the engine works. Currently at Mayhem 29 (Save Me) (wouldn't have had the patience to get this far without savestates, heh)

giga - of course I'm gonna implement new levels, I'm not doing like 20 in one day, haha. I'm focusing on visual design as well as level design. On average, on schooldays I can do 1-2 levels, on free days probably a bit more. Can't really tell yet because it's only been about 2 days since everything works (by the way I found new bugs  :sick: ) Sometimes when I get an idea in school, I draw a draft on paper. :)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 11:36:35 PM »
Geting more levels for the new version ???

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
At the moment I'm implementing the particles for the explosion into MMF2 and it's quite much more work than I've thought.

I need to enter each seperate coordinate of each seperate frame of each seperate particle into an extra object, and the amount of numbers in the .txt ccexplore provided me with comes to about 8000.

Now, since I'm using a double-sized screen than original, and since MMF2 has a reversely fashioned hot-spot-feature (aka where the actual x and y positions should be), I need to multiply each number with -2, then enter them into the hot spot coordinates.

In total, I've been working on the particles only for about 4-5 hours, and I've only implemented 28 particles yet.  :P But I'm sure the work gonna pay off in the end. I tried an explosion with 16 particles and it already looks much better than without.

EDIT: Actually, ccexplore, did you mention you could change the whole format of the script? Would it be possible to have each number multiplied by -2 in a quick way? Doing it by hand takes very very long.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 01:55:48 AM »
EDIT: Actually, ccexplore, did you mention you could change the whole format of the script? Would it be possible to have each number multiplied by -2 in a quick way? Doing it by hand takes very very long.

Definitely.  I'm not at the computer with the script right now, but I'll get you the numbers when I'm back in about 2 hours.

I was actually hoping that there's some sort of cut-and-paste that allows you to just paste a whole bunch of numbers into MMFs, instead of having to type them in one by one.  Maybe you should ask an MMF2 expert and see if there's an easier way to like copy and paste in all the coordinates for one particle at once?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 05:24:15 AM »
Here's the data multiplied by -2.  I've also included a version ("explodedata_XL") that you can paste into something like Excel, which will recognize tabs and put the numbers in separate columns.  In case you need further adjustments to the numbers.

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:30:14 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 09:38:26 AM »
Haha, thank you so much. :)

I'll keep you guys updated on progress!

EDIT:

Cheers, it works :)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 04:33:15 PM »
where can get the new level
i call the level ozone friendly lemmings (part 2)

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 04:50:10 PM »
I'll tell you when I upload a new build. First I gotta finish the 8 basic skill introduction levels.

The leven in the screenshot is called "And it goes boom" (level 3) it's the bomber skill introduction level. You start with 20 bombers, only 5 are needed to pass this, if you place the bombers correctly. You can use all 20 bombers and still have the needed amount of lemmings.

Unfortunately, I got more trouble. Game's already starting to lag with around 20 lemmings.  :sick:

I need to clean the code a little.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 10:10:56 AM »
FOR flip'S SAKE GIGA.
It's not your level, don't try to name it.
And if you read the topic, you'd know it's a WORK IN PROGRESS and there's no downloads yet.
Seriously, GROW UP. You wonder why people hate you here... >_>
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »
Well said, namida.
Giga, if you want to name this stuff, DO IT YOURSELF.  Don't wait for others to do the hard work and then name it yourself unless someone asks you to.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 11:40:25 AM »
I haven't completely given up on the forum yet. But I'd like to say this:

FOR flip'S SAKE GIGA.
It's not your level, don't try to name it.
And if you read the topic, you'd know it's a WORK IN PROGRESS and there's no downloads yet.
Seriously, GROW UP. You wonder why people hate you here... >_>

Well said, namida.

Actually, I blame it on BOTH of you for that, not Giga. :XD: Giga was just sharing his level idea to the community, and he was politely asking a clean, appropriate question which in unharmful. You may be sick of him, because of low-quality posts but I'm starting to get a little tense with you (occasionally) attacking him on every single post. It's about time you need to calm down, OK?

In relation to the third line of namida's quote, there is a download I think (I'll take a look in a second).
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009, 10:43:26 PM »
Okay guys I uploaded a new beta: http://www.vertigofx.com/jrkstudios/lem/lemmings_19.exe

Contains 19 levels (3 unfinished) without any particular order. I still have a lot of bugs and slowdowns (starting with 30 lemmings) so please report if you find any bugs. Also feedback on the levels would be appreciated.

Difficulty order (for me): Simple - Mediocre - Complex - Hardcore

You can use + and - to speed up the game to up to 4x original speed.

Also gotta fix the loops in the music, there's a small gap between each loop...

About the discussion about Giga:

I think I read somewhere he has Asperger's syndrome, and on his profile it says he's 12 years old. In that case I guess it must be a little hard to coordinate in the internet, especially with more grown-up users.
I have looked around the forums and seen that he caused quite some trouble with creating a few obligatory topics or posting posts that nobody understands... but... yea I think most of us would have been like that if we were 12 or new to the internet.  :) He'll eventually learn.

(Please don't misunderstand, I don't want to start a flamewar. No offense intended to anybody.)