Author Topic: Lemmings 1 (SNES) PC Remake  (Read 15715 times)

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings 1 (SNES) PC Remake
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 12:16:26 AM »
Nice job so far with the engine (especially the particle effect when a lemming explodes, you used ccexplore's data really well :thumbsup:). However, after the builder level, the game becomes quite difficult all of a sudden. Also, I feel that the miner level introduces too many concepts at the same time (the miner skill, traps, and vertical-scrolling levels).
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 01:29:39 AM »
Very cool, I like it a lot. How can I make my own Lemmings remake like you're doing. How can I make the game full-screen?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 02:10:19 AM »
It's very complicated if you go the "actual" route and for lemmings games it is still complicated in game development software.  Still, if you were to make a lemmings fangame from scratch, I would suggest you learn a cross-platform programming language such as Java or Python.  It's more complicated, but being able to run the game on any operating system that supports the programming language is a definite plus.  There's actually a version of Python for the Amiga.

WINE and similar projects are making this better, though, by allowing us to run Windows programs in Linux.  But last time I made a game in MMF, it ran slowly in WINE, which is something that really makes me want to learn how to program.  And for those of you who really don't believe that I did such I thing, I'll point you to the exe (in a PM however).  I may release the .mfa or whatever the file extension it uses is too, but the first testing release was as far as a got before shifting efforts to learning Python and Pygame and programming it.
So, if anyone wants to see that, PM me

Anyways, good luck with whatever you wish to make.

Offline Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 08:12:36 AM »
How can I do it if I was to use Multimedia Fusion. Multimedia Fusion games seem to run fine on my computer, and not slow at all.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 09:16:43 AM »
The lag is a real killer unfortunately. I do like the vertical scrolling aspect though. Just as long as you don't abuse it and make ridiculously large levels... And as Pooty mentioned, you might want to put in an actual training level for miners and move that huge cave map down the list. But hey, this isn't so much about the levels as it is about the game itself, and on that front it's looking very nice so far.

By the way, I like the way the display jolts when you press "r" to restart (whether that was intended or not). It's like you're picking it up and shaking it to make it reset. :D

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2009, 01:17:22 PM »
Thanks for your input guys.

Yes I guess I did make the basher and miner introduction levels too hard... but I just couldn't await doing harder levels so I thought a little brains should belong into the levels already. :p

I completely forgot about the R button and I guess it happens because of MMF2's way of restarting an application. I'll leave it in if it isn't too bad.

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 11:12:14 PM »
bump

http://www.vertigofx.com/jrkstudios/lem/lemmings_23.exe

Contains 2 or 3 new levels, and I finally implemented one-way terrain!

...now all I gotta do is cut out the rest of the marble/pillar traps and implement them.

(and try to remove the lag  :( I'll need to try a hardware accelerated build and see if it gets rid of the lag completely... if not, I might have to recode the engine)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2009, 09:33:05 PM »
Recode the engine?  I thought you were using MMF2.  Recoding, well, if you were programming it, it would work great.

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2009, 09:35:55 PM »
Recode the engine?  I thought you were using MMF2.  Recoding, well, if you were programming it, it would work great.

Er I meant using another way to build the engine with MMF2. At the moment I'm using a tremendous amout of fastloops which slows the game down when there are too many lemmings. I just wonder if it would be possible without fastloops...

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2009, 09:48:58 PM »
I don't know, the way MMF handles things, it may be better, albeit time consuming, to start over with a different program, such as Construct or Game Maker.  Although, I don't know, so take that advice with a grain of salt.

Offline Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010, 06:39:38 AM »
Have you been working on your SNES PC Remake? I played the demo and loved it and want to see more work and a complete full game because it is such a cool fangame.

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 07:08:51 PM »
In fact I dug out the game again a few days ago - had a play over it and I must say it really wasn't that bad.

But I'm sorry to say when I look at the code now I'm only able to confuse myself :p

The lag problem still applies too and there's no workaround without rebuilding the engine...

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 09:02:06 PM »
How did you actually do the game's graphics, if everything is in MMF? Do you read them from the original games' files, or converted them to some common image format first which the environment can read?

If the environment can't work with the current load, you might consider learning a general-purpose programming language and a suitable library for it >_>

-- Simon

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2011, 02:54:35 PM »
I found some spritesheets on the net for the most moves, however, there were important ones missing so I ripped those myself from the game. I got the terrain and co. from Lemmix, I think.

I started this project about 2 years ago, I just wanted to do a little fan project  :) nothing big, really. Currently I do not have the time to learn a programming language, but if I could, I probably would, as Lemmings continues to amaze me for the most part.  8)

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 06:22:32 PM »
Speaking of which, I must ask who the **** decided to make it so you have 10 seconds to continue if you fail a level and then if you don't react in time make you start back from Just Dig.

:P Heh, yeah it's annoying.  Actually, it really reminds me of arcade games, where when you lose, it might give you a 10 second countdown to insert more coins to continue (or something like that).  Perhaps the company that made the SNES port mainly did arcade games and can't shake old habits? ;)
I think it's more like they were planning on turning it into an arcade version and that never got off the ground.