Author Topic: Popularity of Levels Topic  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
Popularity of Levels Topic
« on: October 12, 2009, 11:23:06 PM »
It's come to my attention that two users have been doing two VERY similar topics based on the popularity of Lemmings Levels.

If you're all really wanting to do a topic like this, there's only one way to do it without causing arguements. It's VERY long-winded, but it's the only fair solution.

If you want to contribute, please list ALL the levels from the DOS version of Lemmings in order from 1st (your favourite), to 120th (your least favourite). Voting will be carried out in secret, so please PM your lists to me, and I shall work out the results.

Voting closes: 00:00 (BST), Saturday, 24th October.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Popularity of Levels Topic
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 11:38:11 PM »
I think a longer deadline than that is nessecary, especially if you want a list of all 120...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 11:39:23 PM »
Fixed :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 11:54:32 PM »
It's still quite a large investment of time, so I think anyone wanting to take part should post here and say so -- then we don't have the situation where only one or two people vote and then feel they've wasted their time.

I will vote, if at least 5 people do so.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 12:48:52 AM »
That's also a good idea. We should first see how many people will vote, then decide if it's enough to go ahead, and if so, THEN open voting and set a deadline.

Also, just one little note... while your idea is good Adam, I think it would've been better to ask for the community's opinion first rather than just forcing your idea onto us when we may have our own. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the idea itself, I just was a bit bothered by the way you stepped in and said "this is how it'll be done".
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 01:44:22 AM »
Sometimes, I have to step in before an arguement happens. Having two different threads on the same topic is always going to cause some disagreement, so I nipped it in the bud.

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 03:14:55 AM »
We need another thread for this... Wait, no. I think I missed something. (-:

When sorting your personal favorites, I recommend starting with the first one. Then when you see the second one, think to yourself "Do I like this more or less than the first one?" and sort it accordingly. Then the third one, "Do I like this better than the first two, or in between?" and so-forth. It's a reliable way to sort all your favorites and non-favorites without wasting too much time.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:28:17 AM »
Sometimes, I have to step in before an arguement happens. Having two different threads on the same topic is always going to cause some disagreement, so I nipped it in the bud.

Not nessecerially. The "Custom Level Review Game" and "Lemmix Level Reviews" are basically the same thing, just with a slightly different format, and have existed alongside each other for quite some time now. There's also the fact that in this case, Giga had pretty much said he'd pulled out of his thread anyway.

I think a good rule to use is "Only use your admin status when you absolutely have to". If there's an argument starting up, it may be a good time to deal with it. If there's simply two seperate topics the same, with no clashes between them, I don't see the need.

But that's pretty off-topic here, so let's get back to the main topic.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 06:48:08 AM »
Hmm... 120 levels to be reviewed. Can we do 80, because there are 80 different templates to review?

OK, to help you out, the easiest way to start is your picks in the top 5, bottom 5 thread.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 10:46:41 AM »
79. The We All Fall Downs are basically identical, even if there's two slightly different maps saved...
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 12:12:54 PM »
I don't see how reviewing templates can be a good idea. First, even if we stick to thinking about the actual levels, it's easy to really like one level based on a template and really dislike the other; obvious examples are Fun 4/Mayhem 20 and Fun 26/Mayhem 13. Second, if we're reviewing the template itself then it sounds like we ought to be reviewing it in the complete absence of skill information; yet even We All Fall Down could be quite an interesting level with different skills. (Try builders and bashers!)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 11:13:48 PM »
Can I send my list in small chunks so I can at least get my higher end in?  It's hard to rank 120 levels.

Not nessecerially. The "Custom Level Review Game" and "Lemmix Level Reviews" are basically the same thing, just with a slightly different format, and have existed alongside each other for quite some time now. There's also the fact that in this case, Giga had pretty much said he'd pulled out of his thread anyway.

I think a good rule to use is "Only use your admin status when you absolutely have to". If there's an argument starting up, it may be a good time to deal with it. If there's simply two seperate topics the same, with no clashes between them, I don't see the need.

But that's pretty off-topic here, so let's get back to the main topic.

Actually, the Lemmix Level Reviews and the Custom Level Review Game are in harmony BECAUSE of the format difference, but both were good.