Author Topic: Why did you choose what your avatar is?  (Read 24454 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Why did you choose what your avatar is?
« on: October 05, 2009, 02:51:41 AM »
Basically, discussion about avatars.

I decided to make a desktop cube for an avatar on a different forum, and then I ran into the "Squirrelizer."  It wouldn't work, though, but I got the squirrel added in manually.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
Re: Why did you choose what your avatar is?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 09:27:33 AM »
With my avatar, I wanted to make it clear what my favourite version of Lemmings is; the Master System version. Also, I was in an experimental mood at the time, and I wanted to see if it was possible to make a level in a 128x128 pixel space (reduced to 128x104 due to the skills bar). I also decided to animate it to give it more life, and I feel that it isn't a distraction.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 01:00:20 PM »
Love for L2 and pixellated old-school graphics in general.

-- Simon

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 05:14:28 PM »
Mine goes with my username :P (Sentinel Proxima from Iji, the most awesome videogame boss of all time.)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »
Thanks for finally providing an answer to my question.  I figured something that cool-looking can't be just a generic spaceship/robot clipart. ;)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 08:01:49 PM »
Well, I play the bass, so... ;P
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »
...and I play the guitar. :D

Anyway, my avatar is the symbol for Aries. I love it, because that's the constellation I was born. Aries happens between 21st March and 20th April and is the first sign of the zodiac.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:22:46 PM »
It's a pixely rendition of me.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 10:01:10 PM »
 :o Woah, that's you?

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 10:38:11 PM »
  Mine's a greek letter, the lowercase phi, standing for the golden section or golden mean, 0.618, complementing uppercase Phi, 1.618 - a proportion believed to be inherently pleasing to the human eye, and frequently repeated in nature and art, so as someone who considers themself both a scientist and an artist I felt it was perfect. It's my avatar on a lot of other sites, as well.
  I could go into detail as to why I use the colour purple a great deal, but I'm probably rambling already, so I'll stop. =P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 01:14:21 AM »
  Mine's a greek letter, the lowercase phi, standing for the golden section or golden mean, 0.618, complementing uppercase Phi, 1.618

You have those quantities the wrong way round. Although, if you're thinking of phi as a proportion, both stand for the same proportion, since 0.618 = 1 / 1.618. :)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 03:35:53 AM »
Civ 4 has clams too :P

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 06:26:33 AM »
Civ 4 has clams too :P

I have spotted that in the Civ 4 forums as well, even though I don't play it.

I also know that Super Mario 64 have Clams too.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 06:35:49 AM »
When the Nintendo 64 and Sony Playstation came out, home video games were capable of 3D and therefore if you wanted to make any money in the business, you were going to use 3D as well. Then there were the XBOX, GameCube and Playstation 2 (and the untimely death of the Dreamcast), which were capable of more 3D, so if you wanted to make any money in the business, you were going to use more 3D as well.

2D gaming kinda disappeared, and indeed became understood as a sort of archaic method of making games and eventually became synonimous with old-fashioned technology and obsolete graphical style. I was one of few people who, over the last decade, kept pushing for new 2D innovations, as the new graphical power of current consoles don't only do 3D. With what we can do nowadays, you can make some 2D that's WAY beyond anything that could be produced from the days before polygons.

My wishes--long thought doomed to be forever unanswered--were eventually granted by the title Wario Land: Shake It! and an upcoming "reimagining" of a classic game of the distant past: I saw the first screens and videos for A Boy and His Blob, done correctly this time around. It was several months ago when this happened, and I whipped up my avatar using early promotional artwork for the game (sometimes it pays to have a friend in the gaming journalism biz).

So next Thursday (when the game will actually be available for purchase), I'll be doing that instead of anything Lemmings-related... And I'll have to think of what my next avatar will be!

I could go into detail as to why I use the colour purple a great deal, but I'm probably rambling already, so I'll stop. =P

No! Don't stop!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »
I liked your old avatar better, Clam Spammer!  Why'd you change it?