Author Topic: Why did you choose what your avatar is?  (Read 24452 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you choose what your avatar is?
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 12:57:31 PM »
Mine current is a picture of "L" from Death Note.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »
I've had this avatar (a 3D-blocker lemming with darkish green background) since I joined here.
I think this blocker suits you. You're like "No, intended solution! Don't come this way! Let me find backroutes in peace!" :D

Mine current is a picture of "L" from Death Note.
:thumbsup:

My avatar is a portion of a drawing I made for a friend, representing her 10 favorite video games. I think it's pretty funny to see Pikachu popping behind GLaDOS, so I kept this bit and sometimes use it on the internet.

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
Mine simply matches my username.

Offline Lemika

• The Lurker in the Level
    • View Profile
    • Corner the Maze - a webcomic
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2014, 11:00:26 PM »
My last post is actually still accurate, since this is now the most recent piece of Lemmings-related artwork I did (or a piece of it -- the full thing is here), but it's fairly different from the last one. I tend to use the most thematically appropriate artwork for whatever forum I'm on.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 11:16:48 PM »
As with Akseli, I've had my avatar since I got here.

It's a panel from the very end of the Lemmings comic from the first issue of the very short-lived comic series, Max Overload!, of which I had the second issue - which was also the final one, as far as anyone knows. Had I had access to scans of issue 2, whose Lemmings story was "Lemmings Throughout History", I would've used an image from that instead, but unfortunately the second issue has yet to be found and preserved in this era, and the copy I had is long gone, so I can't do this. :(

I chose this avatar because, even without scans of issue 2, I wanted to make reference to that comic, and I liked the way that the shrugging fit in with my punny handle. And I still do. ;)

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 11:54:09 PM »
I first posted on this forum because I felt the need to improve upon the background image used in the Lix menu. At the time I found Lix, this was the background image.

So, not long after submitting my version, Simon sent me a link to the very first place-holder background image, which he drew himself. He seems to think it was terrible, but I found that Lix so cute that I made her my first avatar. I think Simon still doesn't really get it.

At some point (I think this was before I knew the IRC channel was logged), I mentioned I had dressed up in a bunny suit for a play I was in recently. So Simon made some bunny-ear additions to my avatar, and it hasn't changed since. Admittedly, it is a little tall for an avatar, so I feel guilty when I make short posts.

(This is my avatar at the time of posting, in case you're reading this in the distant future.)

My last post is actually still accurate, since this is now the most recent piece of Lemmings-related artwork I did (or a piece of it -- the full thing is here), but it's fairly different from the last one. I tend to use the most thematically appropriate artwork for whatever forum I'm on.

Woah. That is really a very impressive picture, viewed full-size. I'm quite fond of imagining more realistic visual interpretations of old video games that lacked modern graphics, and I must say that is exactly my headcanon there.

As with Akseli, I've had my avatar since I got here.

Your profile picture kinda creeps me out, actually. It's something those haunting, sunken eyes that makes me shiver when I see it. That lemming looks to me like he's cowering in fear, not shrugging apologetically. But I do like it, it's very distinct and, of course, it's permanently associated with you now. And somehow that terrified Lemming is very summative of the feel of the original game to me; some sort of nihilistic comment on the futility of life.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 02:58:23 AM »
So, not long after submitting my version, Simon sent me a link to the very first place-holder background image, which he drew himself. He seems to think it was terrible, but I found that Lix so cute that I made her my first avatar. I think Simon still doesn't really get it.

At some point (I think this was before I knew the IRC channel was logged), I mentioned I had dressed up in a bunny suit for a play I was in recently. So Simon made some bunny-ear additions to my avatar, and it hasn't changed since. Admittedly, it is a little tall for an avatar, so I feel guilty when I make short posts.
I remember the cute placeholder art! I never got what was so terrible about it, either.

I was always wondering about the bunny ears, though, so thanks for filling in that part of the story, and clearing up that mystery. :thumbsup:

Your profile picture kinda creeps me out, actually. It's something those haunting, sunken eyes that makes me shiver when I see it. That lemming looks to me like he's cowering in fear, not shrugging apologetically. But I do like it, it's very distinct and, of course, it's permanently associated with you now. And somehow that terrified Lemming is very summative of the feel of the original game to me; some sort of nihilistic comment on the futility of life.
Aw, man, I thought he looked cute. :D (I suppose it makes a difference that I don't see the eyes as looking sunken, though!)

I did briefly consider changing it at one point earlier in the year, but, as you say, my current one is permanently associated with me now, so in the end I didn't feel right about changing it.

As for the lemming in my avatar looking like he's cowering in fear, that's actually part of what he really is doing - he's shrugging off what he just did, in an alarmed fashion, after appearing like an omen of bad luck and causing a professor to be squished by a truck! (Really. Read the comic. ;) )

... I didn't make that sound any less creepy, did I? :scared: In context, it's slapstick and Tom & Jerry-esque, honest!

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 04:11:20 AM »
This is a bit of an in-joke from a couple of other boards. The original image was the "Deal with it" dog which you may have seen. Originally had this as an avatar on the LF puzzle contest boards, then decided to also use it here.

Don't know really, I feel the "wait for it.... wait for NA GET OUT" nature of this image coupled with what one familiar with the original image may be expecting kind of sums up who I am.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Lemika

• The Lurker in the Level
    • View Profile
    • Corner the Maze - a webcomic
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2014, 06:16:01 AM »
Woah. That is really a very impressive picture, viewed full-size. I'm quite fond of imagining more realistic visual interpretations of old video games that lacked modern graphics, and I must say that is exactly my headcanon there.

Thank you! I'm fond of doing the same (perhaps obviously), and spent quite a lot of time on Lemmings in particular.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2014, 08:17:06 PM »
I probably took a long time before I picked an avatar. As always looking for something lemmings related and as lemmings tribes was probably one of my favorites games of all time I couldn't resist.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2014, 06:47:15 AM »
OK, I decided to 'revamp' my profile today with a new avatar and a slightly modified name. I chose this brand new avatar because I'd just thought I show you that I can write music, just like I did with making the ONML music here. The new username is not much difference, but not that it does mean anything! It relates to a British English term for a half musical note.

Hope you all enjoy this new avatar!
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2014, 11:12:07 AM »
OK, I decided to 'revamp' my profile today with a new avatar and a slightly modified name. I chose this brand new avatar because I'd just thought I show you that I can write music, just like I did with making the ONML music here. The new username is not much difference, but not that it does mean anything! It relates to a British English term for a half musical note.

Hope you all enjoy this new avatar!

Just a suggestion; maybe you should put a note in your signature saying who you are, at least until people get used to the new name. Entirely up to you of course, but even after reading that post it took me a bit to figure it out.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2014, 04:41:15 PM »
That's a good idea, namida. 8) I've done that by your request to avoid further confusion.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »
That was a good idea cause I didn't get it right away either.  :D

Personally I want to change my name as well but everybody gets confused when you do that  :(

btw, my avatar is Yuko or Yuno twitching from Elfen Lied.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »
OK, I thought my previous avatar looked a little bit too different and complicated so I've simplified it a bit. That previous one I pictured was actually the melody to the Lemming1 tune. BTW this is what a minim looks like. Hope you enjoy this one better than the other.