Author Topic: Fewest different skills levels can be beaten with  (Read 61531 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Fewest different skills levels can be beaten with
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2011, 10:30:50 PM »
A couple of nice results for Mayhem 17 (with replays as per usual):
- builders + miners (100%)
- builders + diggers

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2011, 07:00:23 AM »
I've done Havoc 1 with just builders and miners.

EDIT: I have confirmed that further improvements are indeed possible.  I now have Havoc 18 down to three skills: Builders+Bashers+Diggers, with 100%.  The only question is whether or not I should include the glitch flag.  I did technically dig through a small amount of steel at the start.  The removal of the steel was not critical to the solution, it's just that I needed to dig through the floor as far to the left as possible and that incidentally resulted in some steel being removed.

Unfortunately I don't have a replay or screenshots or anything of the like.  I can supply a step-by-step detailed solution upon request.

Yes please. :-[ I can see where you're going but I think the hard part is holding back the other lemmings.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2011, 08:54:59 AM »
If the hard part is holding the crowd at the start, then it might be useful to know how many skills this takes, and therefore what skills you have left for the rest of the level. So if it helps, holding the crowd at the top takes:
Quote from: spoiler
one builder, and a digger to release at the end.

In case you're still stuck (and for anyone else who's interested), I've attached a replay.

As for the glitch tag, I'd say technically the solution does use a glitch, but because it's just incidental (you're not actually using it to get through the steel barrier), then maybe it doesn't warrant the glitch tag.

Also, before I forget again, thanks LemSteven for updating the results 8)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2011, 04:29:24 AM »
A few more results (attached):

Taxing 5: builders+bashers 100%
Taxing 13: builders+bashers+miners+diggers 100%

I've been looking through the levels more systematically.  Below is a list of levels (will be updated over time) that I think still has more/better results not yet reported, but I haven't gotten around to confirming:

Taxing 2
Taxing 4
Taxing 5
Taxing 14
Taxing 16? (unfortunately no-floater solution needed a blocker to delay a few lemmings, need a second look to see if avoidable)
Taxing 25
Taxing 28
Mayhem 5
Mayhem 10

[more to come...]
[edit: currently reviewed all Lemmings levels and ONML up to Wild 11]
[edit: this list is out of date at this point, don't pay too much attention to it]

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2011, 04:46:27 AM »
I can confirm Builders+Bombers on Taxing 25.

I've also got Taxing 28 down to 4 skills: Climbers+Floaters+Builders+Bashers

Edit: I found a couple more variations to Mayhem 13: Blockers+Builders+Miners and Builders+Miners+Diggers

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2011, 07:33:42 AM »
A few more results (attached):

Taxing 5: builders+bashers 100%

Great work on that level. Nice job trapping the other lemmings. :thumbsup:

OK, on the Holiday version I can easily do Flurry 16 without the floaters. So it's now down to 4 types: Bombers+Blockers+Builders+Bashers.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2011, 12:03:32 PM »
Taxing 22 improvements: floaters+builders 100%, builders+bashers, builders+diggers 100%

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 10, 2011, 09:37:45 PM »
Edit: I found a couple more variations to Mayhem 13: Blockers+Builders+Miners and Builders+Miners+Diggers.
Nice idea! 8) :thumbsup: You missed one variation though: Builders+Bashers+Miners.

------------------

And with elimination of climber (see related post), I can knock Mayhem 21 down to 4 types now (floaters+builders+basher+digger).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2011, 03:16:25 AM »
Adding builders+miners (100%) for Mayhem 22.  Pretty much normal.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2011, 05:55:34 AM »
I've improved on my previous best made two years ago on Hail 14. I managed to get 100% with builders and bashers only. Doing it in the order of the entrances, I've attached a replay. I tried to do it with miners and builders originally, but I was only a few builders short and could only save half the lemmings.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2011, 08:02:07 AM »
Crazy
<snip>
10: No solutions found
Not sure why people worked around this level, when the results appear to be all existing solutions (4-types) from other challenges:

bombers+blockers+builders+bashers (from Clam)
climbers+bombers+builders+bashers (from Clam, also reported by Minimac)

[edit: solutions superceded]

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2011, 11:41:04 AM »
when the results appear to be all existing solutions (4-types) from other challenges

Then again, combining the ideas from both, here's a 3-types solution for Crazy 10: bombers+builders+bashers (glitch).

Quote from: quick description for those who can't view replays
It's the climber+bomber+builder+basher "ceiling route" (ie. bash just below water level and through steel surface) solution modified to not use the climber, using timing instead of trap/release on the crowd.  I compress (in the holding area the bomber gets you to) the crowd into group of 5 positions spaced at the RR-99 distance (so changing RR from 99 to 51 and back, every 5 lemmings), and once ready to bash, have the tail of the group starts bashing, the timing should work out.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »
Crazy 15: climbers+builders (direct drop glitch), builders+diggers improved to 100% with glitch (replay attached - glitchless falls short of 100%, so "glitch for 100%").

Here's a builder+digger 100% solution that doesn't use steel glitches.  Whether it's glitch-free or not depends on what you think about that bit with the digger and then sorta building on air.  (Also attached key screenshot for non-Lemmix users.)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2011, 01:39:01 PM »
Minor (not really replay worthy) updates on some Crazy's:

Crazy 19: bombers+blockers+builders (glitch)
Crazy 8: builders+bashers+(any remaining 3rd skill: bombers, blockers, miners, diggers), 100% for miners and diggers

Removing "glitch" for the Crazy 19 solution is unlikely since as far as I can tell, "normal" bombing cannot breach through the exit area without at least 4 bombers, but you only have 3.  (I save one by the "push a lemming into wall" glitch/trick.)  For Crazy 8 I attached an example with digger as 3rd skill.  Mostly straightforward except for some precision near the end of the trailblazing in order for things to work out.  Substitution of other 3rd skill left as exercise.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2011, 08:33:04 PM »
Improved Wild 11 to 3 skills, with five different combinations:
  • floaters+bombers+builders
  • floaters+builders+bashers (100%)
  • bombers+builders+bashers
  • bombers+builders+miners
  • builders+bashers+miners (100%)

Replays attached. All involve some amount of steel glitching to get the required %.

Ah, so that's how you glitch the steel on that level, I was always wondering how it'd work with that level. 8)

And now, to fill my designated role yet again (incremental improver, or perhaps "Clam day-ruiner" :evil: :-\), I can reduce the whole thing to just builders+miners (100%, glitch)kinda anti-climatic actually, as Clam's solutions are rather loads of fun with their different ways to breach steel