Author Topic: Fewest different skills levels can be beaten with  (Read 60449 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Fewest different skills levels can be beaten with
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2011, 06:05:16 PM »
[Taxing 14] Sadly, I haven't been able to save 100% with the former [Builders+Diggers] because it requires a couple more bridges than Builders+Miners.  Unless someone finds a way to hold and release the crowd using no more than 8 builders

Here's one way, using the same technique seen in the Tricky 7 climbers+builders solution for blocking off the right end.  Replay (only how to start; rest of level not bothered) and screenshots of crowd holding (in zip) attached.  You can clearly see that 7 builders are used to hold the crowd, leaving 1 builder for release, so no more than 8.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 22, 2011, 05:12:42 AM »
I've just added Bombers+Miners to Wild 1.

Edit: Bombers+Bashers is also confirmed.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 23, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »
Adding builders+miners (glitch) to Taxing 17

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2011, 06:43:27 AM »
Improved Havoc 15 to 2 types: blockers+builders (glitch).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2011, 10:08:29 AM »
Frost 3 improvements:

builders+bashers 100%
builders+miners 100%
bombers+builders
blockers+builders
blockers+bashers (100%, glitch)

Replay for last one attached.  (The rest are pretty easy.)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2011, 02:04:42 PM »
Adding an overlooked bomber+blockers (glitch) for Crazy 1.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »
Found a few more for Havoc:

Havoc 11: builders+bashers (100%, glitch)
Havoc 13: blockers+builders+bashers and blockers+builders+miners (removed replay for +miners, it's almost identical to +bashers)

(edit:)
Havoc 1: builders+diggers (glitch - used a digger hanging on to steel at the end, I can't find a better way with the few skills available at that point)
Havoc 2: blockers+builders+diggers (glitch)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2011, 10:31:25 PM »
More/improved solutions for Flurry:

10: builders+bashers (100%), bombers+builders
14: builders+diggers improved to 100%, climbers+builders (100%, direct drop glitch), blockers+builders (direct drop again) still seriously annoying that builders only falls one lemming short ):
16: Improved to 3 types: blockers+builders+bashers, bombers+builders+bashers

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 03, 2011, 10:44:56 AM »
Taxing 6 can also be done with bombers+bashers and blockers+bashers.

If we're counting as glitches the various ways to remove terrain that are within steel areas, then neither combination requires glitches (depending on how you count the trick used in blockers+bashers), although for bombers+bashers, you can use glitches to increase the number of lemmings saved (lose 2 if you use the steel-destruction technique based on the 100% solution, and lose 3 if you use the other steel-destruction technique for the 98% solution that also works on the Mac).

On the other hand, I have not found any other solutions for bashers+diggers besides the 100% one, hence that combination cannot be made glitch-free it seems.

Well, I may be two years late, and %-wise it's a decidedly lame way to go about this level, but turns out there is a glitch-free solution for bashers+diggers after all.  It barely saves the required 60%.  So that combination is now "glitch for 100%".

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 06, 2011, 12:43:05 PM »
Adding an overlooked bomber+blockers (glitch) for Crazy 1.

I too, overlook. :-[ The glitch is not necessary for bombers+blockers.  I've attached a replay but it's about as boring as it goes (fast-forward highly encouraged), get ready to slap your forehead.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #190 on: November 06, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »
Hmm, this warrants an essay about update order, and how/when pixels surrounding a walker are checked. ;) I will plow through your conversation about the L1 mechanices with Eric.

Edit: Done in this topic.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2011, 03:32:48 AM »
Mayhem
9: 3 types. Blockers+Builders+Bashers, Builders+Bashers+Diggers (100%)

Mayhem 9 blockers+builders+bashers now 100%.  See the "no digger" solution attached at this post.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 02, 2012, 02:52:52 AM »
Once again, cross-pollination (tims time from the "undamaged levels" challenge) yields a climbers+builders solution for Wicked 4.

The obvious question now is whether that level is solvable builders-only.  It's a question of whether not using climbers will only cost up to 3 more lemmings (2 from the climber+builder solution saving more than required, and 1 more because use of climber actually ends up killing one of the climber lemming).  I think I will save that for another time so that I actually spend some real time on Branden's requests. ;)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 04, 2012, 11:00:54 PM »
Also (sort of) from the undamaged levels challenge. Frost 11 can be done with builders + miners (100% as required). This is very easy (it can be done in two different ways) and was simply overlooked until now. (Obviously, this requires damaging the level, but one of the two solutions gets across the gap in the same way as my undamaged solution to that level -- that's the connection.)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2012, 09:13:09 PM »
Frost 6 improved to blockers+builders, thanks to a rather straightforward solution found as part of this challenge.  (See this post for attached replay.)