Author Topic: Fewest different skills levels can be beaten with  (Read 59962 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Fewest different skills levels can be beaten with
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2009, 08:36:36 PM »
Okay, I think I see how the blocker/builders and digger/builders solutions work [on Taxing 22]. I cannot fathom how the others could be possible....

You can turn the lemmings around on the starting platform with a miner and builder. After this, the builders+miners solution plays the same as blockers+builders (and if you used all your builders there, you'll have to find a way to save one ;))

Floaters+builders relies on a neat trick for turning around one of a pair of lemmings using builders. If you haven't seen it before, here's how it works: (highlight to read)
The lemmings must be close together for this to work (equivalent to RR68 or higher). Make the first lemming build, and as soon as the second lemming steps off the brick made by the first builder, make it build as well. After the second builder lays one brick, it gets caught on the second brick of the first builder and turns around.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »
Floaters+builders relies on a neat trick for turning around one of a pair of lemmings using builders.

That is awesome.....  :thumbsup:

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2009, 09:01:44 PM »
Here's Flurry:

8: 100% with Climbers, builders and bashers
9: Just bashers. Shouldn't be on this list now.
10: Diggers and builders (100%), Miners and builders.
13: Just builders (100%). It shouldn't be on this list anymore.
14: Builders with: Bashers (100%) Miners (100%) Diggers, Bombers.
16: Floaters, Bombers, Blockers, Bashers, Builders.

I'm sure that Flurry 14 works 100% with diggers and builders, I haven't done it manually yet.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2009, 10:54:18 AM »
Anyway, I can tell you that both solutions I have on that challenge uses only 2 types of skills (not the same combo either).  I'll reveal them when I come back from my cruise next week, in case someone is still working on that challenge.  Or perhaps those solutions will be found before I'm back?  And for this thread, you don't even need to restrict yourself to using exactly 3 skills or not going off the right, so one of the 2-type solution should actually become a bit easier to find.

Actually, I don't really need to reveal them exactly.  For this thread, I've modified the digger+builder and digger+blocker Taxing 9 solutions, so that they violate the additional conditions imposed in my own original challenge for Taxing 9 (though no doubt seeing the replays will be a big hint for that challenge, so beware).  They still satisfy this thread because here, we don't care about the actual number of skill assignments or where the skill is being applied, only how many types of skills were involved.

It also turns out I overlooked a third solution for my original Taxing 9 challenge, which is also a 2-type-of-skill solution--2 diggers and the miner.

So the correct, updated result for Taxing 9 should be:  2 types: blockers+diggers, builders+diggers, and miners+diggers (all 100% of course).

[screenshots included, but you'll need to refer to the text version of Lemmix replays as well to fully make sense of what you see in the screenshots]

[edit: removed miner+digger solution for now; I think I can modify that one to only satisfy this thread and not my challenge...] [edit2: never mind about that; solution re-posted again]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:24:12 AM by Minim »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2009, 12:01:37 PM »
I posted this in another thread, but it belongs here too:

Wild 17: builders+miners (100%)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2009, 09:43:39 AM »
Crazy 1 can actually be completed 100% with diggers and blockers.

o_O
No. WAY.
I'm sorry, but I just can't believe the 100% on this one, how the hell are you going to stop the digger (except by blocking him, which still doesn't save him).
I'm not adding the 100% for this one without a replay (or confirmation from Clam or cc), sorry.
All others have been updated.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2009, 09:52:16 AM »
To round up Crazy, Level 10 works with Blockers, bombers, builders and bashers. I used a replay in the minimum skills thread on reply #34 to confirm it.

A few more Wild levels for you here:
18: Bombers and builders (obvious isn't it?)
20: Diggers and builders
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2009, 09:55:25 AM »
Crazy 1 can actually be completed 100% with diggers and blockers.

o_O
No. WAY.
I'm sorry, but I just can't believe the 100% on this one, how the hell are you going to stop the digger (except by blocking him, which still doesn't save him).
I'm not adding the 100% for this one without a replay (or confirmation from Clam or cc), sorry.

The 100% on Crazy 1 is actually old news from the old old forums.  Various replays by no less than 3 people had been posted here.  As for stopping the digger (get ready for a forehead-smacking moment :P):

Quote from: hint
Take a look at what's below the thin pillar you need to get through.

(Or, maybe your question is really more about "how to 'stop' the digger(s) without ruining the path to the exit?".  See the replays.)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2009, 12:25:20 PM »
o_O
That was pure genius.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2009, 10:05:58 AM »
Let's go right back to the start here. I just spotted this back on page 1:

Fun 15 can also be done with bombers and builders (not 100% though). It *cannot* be done with diggers and builders as far as I can tell, and if it can, certianly not 100%.

Here's proof that it can be done. (attached)

And another one:

Can Taxing 27 be done without blockers?

Unless you really think you need blockers to time the bombers, then... yes.

I'd suggest it's worth going back to the start of other challenge threads (when many posts were made too quickly for anyone to keep up with) to check for possible improvements.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:28:57 AM by Minim »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2009, 06:00:50 PM »
I've said this word before and I'll say it again. INCREDIBLE!

OK, I'll do Frost. I understand that some levels from original lemmings aren't completed yet.

3, 7, 11, and 14: Builders and bashers
4: Builders and miners (100%), builders and bashers (100%)
6: Bombers blockers and builders
7: Builders and bashers
10: Builders bashers miners and diggers (100%)
11: Builders and bashers (100%)
12: Builders bashers and diggers (100%)
14: Builders and bashers
15: Bombers builders and bashers, builders bashers and miners
16: Climbers floaters and builders

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2009, 09:50:21 AM »
More Fun solutions! :D

23 - Builders and miners, 100%. Requires sliding glitch, replay attached.

28 - Builders and bashers with 100% saved (this wasn't previously marked).
    - An easy 100% with floaters (specifically, one floater) plus builders.

29 - Builders and miners with 100% (not previously marked)
    - Builders and diggers with 100% saved
    - Blockers and builders (sliding glitch used)
Replays attached for all three.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:31:18 AM by Minim »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2009, 11:01:44 AM »
23 - Builders and miners, 100%. Requires sliding glitch, replay attached.

You can get that result without the sliding glitch.  In fact I effectively reported this in the "skills you can't live without" thread, as noted by Proxima earlier in this thread (reply #4 in fact).  Although my solution used a blocker when I reported it on that thread, it's clear from the leftover spare skills shown in the screenshot that instead of the blocker, you can use miners or builders to delay a few lemmings until the miner mined deep enough.

Of course, haven't yet seen your sliding glitch solution, may it be a great candidate for use in the level's repeat, Taxing 17?  You have only 6 miners there.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2009, 08:10:08 PM »
This is what I get for not watching the replays when they're put up... :(

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2009, 02:29:43 AM »
Three more solutions for Tricky 7 with 2 types. I have been succesful with combinations of builders with:
- floaters
- bombers
- bashers
Replays attached for all three.

And I came up just two lemmings short with builders only. Unfortunately, the solution method is extremely inflexible, so I doubt it's possible to save any more.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:33:23 AM by Minim »