Author Topic: Most out-of-place levels  (Read 12874 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Most out-of-place levels
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2009, 07:11:22 AM »
That's a good point actually. I completed this level before Fun 13.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2009, 11:48:01 AM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Tricky 1.  That level should have been placed around Fun 9 in my opinion.

I always thought the intention was to have overlapping categories -- Tricky 1 was never meant to be harder than Fun 29, but each category gets harder as it goes along (except for the "blips" that we're picking up in this topic) and each category as a whole is harder than the previous. That model works well for a game where you can start from the first level of any category, but have to progress within the category to unlock later levels. My favourite game Repton 3 does the same, and I have deliberately followed this model in the many level sets I've designed.

You mentioned Fun 9, though, and I think that should be mentioned as a level that should have come later than it did. Sure, it only takes one skill to win, but release rate 99 and a high save requirement on only the second real level of the game?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2009, 11:46:54 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Tricky 1.  That level should have been placed around Fun 9 in my opinion.

"I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Tame 1-20.  Those levels should have been placed in the trash bin in my opinion."

:D ;P

j/k, but hey, you know in your heart I'm right to some extent. ;)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 10:53:58 PM »
Tame was okay, but compared to the rest of the game?

Difficulty Curve

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 07:26:05 PM »
I think that was intended, though.

ONML was meant as a bonus level pack, and Tame was most likely simply meant to be a few easy levels added in to fill space or entertain the less skilled players who still wanted more Lemmings action.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2009, 07:45:49 PM »
And to be fair, even for seasoned players, those Tame levels provide a surprising number of interesting challenges.  That's the beauty of easy levels--they tend to give you many extra skills, which you can in turn use to solve the level in many creative and unusual ways.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 01:06:37 AM »

Offline CynicalOkie

• View Profile
Misrated Levels?
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2011, 10:32:59 AM »
I don't think there's a thread like this already, but do you think there's any levels in any of the lemmings games that are in the wrong category? I think a few are:

The Crossroads - Mayhem -> Late Tricky
I Have a Cunning Plan - Tricky -> Taxing
Livin' On the Edge - Taxing -> Tricky

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Misrated Levels?
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2011, 11:09:09 AM »
Haha, that's like a perennial topic around here actually, I'm sure I've seen at least 2 or 3 incarnations of this throughout the ages of our forums.  Almost everyone agrees many levels are misplaced in the game in terms of difficulty etc. [note: this doesn't just mean wrong ratings, but also whether it appeared "too early" or "too late" within a rating], but if I recall correctly, there are few if any levels that were universally agreed upon by all as such, to say nothing of what people think the correct placement should be.

In other words, if people aren't bored of this topic already at this point, I imagine you'll get a good number of replies.  ;P If nothing else, I'm sure some of the newer members will have something to say.

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2011, 12:11:29 PM »
I think this topic's quite a good one, and some levels do seem to generate a different response each time.

I'll take a look through the Master System version to see which levels are inappropriately placed.. the Master System was generally easier anyway due to the pause button being on the console itself, but I'm sure there'll be some which stand out like a sore thumb.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »
I don't think there's a thread like this already, but do you think there's any levels in any of the lemmings games that are in the wrong category? I think a few are:

The Crossroads - Mayhem -> Late Tricky
I Have a Cunning Plan - Tricky -> Taxing
Livin' On the Edge - Taxing -> Tricky
I think Crossroads is alright, actually, but partly because I played a version where you require 100%.

Triple Trouble is my massive pet hate level, as it took me years to complete for the first time. Should have been in Mayhem, but actually I'm quite glad it wasn't because I'd probably have missed out on more of the game. As it happens it was only two new levels that I missed.

And of course, there's always that classic: Highland Fling should not be in Havoc. :XD:

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2011, 06:19:47 AM »
Honestly with Lemmings 1 the levels that bother me the most have to do with the ordering and not the set -- I find that a lot of early Taxing is harder than a lot of late Taxing, being the most obvious one to me.

Crossroads was always really easy for me, though I can see in 100% versions where it might be tricky.

ONML has a lot more badly placed levels set-wise, I know I've made posts about them in the past; I'll have to see if I can dig them up.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline CynicalOkie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
If all versions of the Crossroads were 100%, I'd say it would definitely be Mayhem; but unfortunately, I've really only seen 80% ones out there, which makes it extremely easy for Mayhem.

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »
The SMS was 100%, but with RR50.. very strange level!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2011, 12:35:39 AM »
"The fast food kitchen" is another one that depends on the version. On Amiga it's definitely Mayhem, but the DOS version has a much lighter time limit and % requirement that makes it no harder than the Tricky level.

And since someone mentioned pet-hate levels, "Upsidedown World" has bugs and inconsistencies that make it more like a Mayhem level. If it behaved as expected, then probably Taxing would be ok.