Author Topic: Which levels can be beaten without assigning multiple skills to one lemming?  (Read 41617 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Come on people, this isn't done yet - though, admittedly, it is quite tedious. You can add Mayhem 18 and 25 to the list. 18 isn't even difficult to do. ;)

I wonder if Mayhem 29 and 30 might be possible as well...

Offline Minim

• View Profile
I don't think Mayhem 30 is possible for whichever side you'll go, the lemmings will either be crushed up before you get to the left side, or fall off the edge when you head right.

Anyway, I am looking for an attempt to solve Wild 20 and Wicked 19 especially.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
I don't think Mayhem 30 is possible for whichever side you'll go, the lemmings will either be crushed up before you get to the left side, or fall off the edge when you head right.

I think you might have confused this with the "one lemming" challenge (and by the way, this level did turn out to be possible there).

Wait... now I know you've got this confused with the other challenge thread:

Those Mayhem levels were the only ones I could manage, so I decided to move onto ONML.
[...]
Wicked 19 can be done with the standard solution.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
I do tend to find that I need to work more to make progress on this one, but I haven't abandoned it completely yet, just been paying more attention to the other challenge.

Here's Mayhem 7 (screenshot and replay in zip)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 03:21:21 PM by Minim »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
o_O NICE.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Which levels can be beaten without assigning multiple skills to one lemming?
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2009, 02:35:52 PM »
Umm... are you sure this project is finished yet? It doesn't look like a lot of Holiday levels are completed yet, even though there are only sixteen... :P
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
Re: Which levels can be beaten without assigning multiple skills to one lemming?
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2009, 09:13:40 AM »
Yes, there's certainly more work to do here.

And finally, I have something of some significance to contribute to this thread. I checked all of Flurry and found only level 8 to be impossible. In completing level 10, I found a neat trick for building across gaps. If you've ever tried to make a 7-builder stack with a high release rate (like in ccexplore's one-minute solution to Taxing 24), you would have noticed that all but two lemmings stop building and turn back. Well, this works over distances too - rather than building on top of the first brick of the previous builder, you can start on top of a later one - as long as it has just been placed when the next lemming gets there. Often this will require a change of release rate, but in this case the default rate works nicely.

The end result is a solution that loses only two lemmings - and could possibly be improved to 1. Replay attached (as you'd expect).

Also attached is the replay for Flurry 16. It's not that difficult, but not straightforward either. And 13 isn't obvious, but it definitely can be done and isn't worth uploading a replay for IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 03:23:34 PM by Minim »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2009, 05:36:41 AM »
Is anyone still interested in this thread?

Anyway, Blitz 3, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, ans 16 are all possible. 5 and 9 are doubtful because of their high % requirements, but it's certainly possible to save a majority on 5 at least.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2009, 07:22:13 AM »
Definitely still interested, just that I'm also interested with many other things that are going on in the forums. ;)  I last left off on Mayhem 7 and I was planning to work on Mayhem 8.  When you're done with the Xmas levels, feel free to take a second look at Mayhem and ONML again.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2009, 11:52:40 AM »
Quote from: Clam
I'd suggest it's worth going back to the start of other challenge threads (when many posts were made too quickly for anyone to keep up with) to check for possible improvements.

This thread is clearly a great candidate to go back.  :-\ :XD: Here's the Mayhem 8 solution I promised weeks ago.  (If anyone's confused by the screenshot, look very carefully at the terrain again, particularly around the bottom of the one-way wall.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 03:27:06 PM by Minim »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Frost:

As well as 2, 8, 13 reported in the OP, 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 14, 15 are all possible.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Hail: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
I suspect Wild 19 MIGHT be possible with something similar to the builders-only route, but I don't feel like trying right now.

Confirmed Wild 19. (One of my favourite levels, so I wasn't going to miss this chance 8) )

Anyway, I am looking for an attempt to solve Wild 20 and Wicked 19 especially.

Here's Wild 20, though it's just the standard solution, so I'm surprised it was missed earlier.

Wicked 1 is the same as the lose-1 solution, except for assigning the basher and digger to different lemmings (so you lose 2).

Havoc 6 is straightforward, but requires some luck with the miner placement, so here's a replay just in case anyone needs convincing.

And finally, here's Wild 11, using Clam's route through the steel.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2012, 03:49:03 AM »
I'm having fun going through all these challenges (note; I'm not done with the other one, I just like to vary it up a little.

It doesn’t look like namida is here to update this thread but that’s not going to stop me from trying these out. 8) this is also a very fun and difficult challenge.

Lemmings Revolution:

4-4 Seafood Sarnie 22/25

5-2 Kriss Kross 23/30*
walk on blocker glitch

You can put a water lemming blocker on the lower ledge for the normal lemmings to land on and that way they can both go to the exit at the same time.
There’s only 1 other way I can image; if you block, bomb to create a hole and bash under the blockers, this would waste more lemmings.

5-3 Sargent Bash 100%

use an extra basher to stall to have one avoid the shredder.

5-5 One Way Ticket 47/50

This one was a lot of fun. I Solved it very differently from normal.

To get over the 1-way-wall, build up to it. Give lemmings floaters if necessary, then have one dig into it near the edge. At a safe height make a walker in the hole a bomber. The resulting crater will stop the digger and create and exit. The rest is pretty simple. The three you lose are necessary bombers.

everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2012, 01:05:08 AM »
6-6  “Two Sides to every story” 42/50

6-7 “Wood you Believe it” 45/50

I pulled the same trick I did on One way ticket. Block the water lemmings from entering the balloon. To get around the blocker; dig then have another bomb to stop him then bash across; he’ll stop when he comes out onto the slope.

6-8 Wheelbarrows of Doom 98/100

build up and over the top. Use two bombers to get through to the balloon.

7-1 Designed with Love 90/99

Once again, the backroute straight to the balloon is of course open. But that’s no fun for me.
I’m sure there’s numerous ways. Mine is; I brute-forced basically, using a lot of blockers. One lem dies on the first ledge. Let 3-5 lems come out then set RR to 99, and back to 1 for the last 3-5 lems. Block them upside down once to turn around and block the crowd in the area next to the balloon. Let two go first; one will steps down onto the platform in the middle (just above the gravity pad) dig him down, when the other one falls into his tunnel, near the bottom make him bash across. The digger will drown.
Let three go, block the one in the middle in.
 The very last one dig through the steps over the first chasm to take care of the weasels. Block upside down on the top-most ground to have one turn around and build over the upside down gap. He’ll empty the pool. By this time the basher will finish and fall into the pool. Now have the blocked lemming dig facing right; he’ll enter the pool and open the door for the crowd.
I have yet to try the crossed out solution properly.

see below post
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain