Author Topic: Which levels can be beaten without assigning multiple skills to one lemming?  (Read 40987 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Confirmed Crazy 2.

EDIT: And Crazy 5.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
24, 25, 27 and 30 are obvious.

It is certainly on the easy side, but I wouldn't exactly call Taxing 25 "obvious", at least not the same class of obviousness as something like Taxing 24 and 30 where it's just the normal level solution.  So I've attached a replay for this in case anyone needs it.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Just as I was about to give up on it, I finally managed Crazy 8!

This one is DEFINITELY challenge-worthy. It took me ages just to get a basic idea (let alone work out the finer points), at least a hundred load states to actually execute (not counting the ones during failed methods that didn't work out), four entire restarts, and uses every skill except the bomber, still only saving the bare minimum percent. Uses some borderline glitchy tricks, nothing major.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
And Crazy 9 is done!

Still challenging, but a lot easier than Crazy 8.

EDIT: And Crazy 12! This one was rather easy.

EDIT AGAIN: And 13. This one was also easy.

LAST EDIT: And 14. This one was a bit trickier but still pretty simple.

Due to the 4 attachments per post limit I'll have to make another reply when I solve more.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Crazy 15 done. Another fairly easy one.

Crazy 19 done. This one  is a bit tricky to work out but once you've got it worked out, it's pretty easy to pull off.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Wild 1 is simple, Wild 3 is done the same way as you do it for a builder-only challenge (no lemming will get a chance to build twice). Wild 4 is pretty much just the normal solution, but taking the low road. Wild 7 is again, the normal solution. 10 can be done using the same different-lemming-builds-in-dig-pit trick as in Time Waits For No Lemming a couple of times. Wild 15 is a bit tricky, nothing special, I attached a replay anyway. Wild 17 is quite a challenging one, replay attached. Wild 18 is the normal route.  I suspect Wild 19 MIGHT be possible with something similar to the builders-only route, but I don't feel like trying right now.

So for Wild:

1, 3, 4, 7, 9 (this one is obvious), 10, 15, 17, 18, and maybe 19

EDIT: Forgot to actually attach the replays.
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Mayhem: I've managed 2, 4, 9 and (obviously 11). 24 is obviously possible, and 26 has been solved with only bombers meaning it too must be possible.

The only other ones I suspect may be possible, but can't manage myself, are 3 and 16. 3, I'm lost on but I just have a feeling it can be done, 16, my record is 86%.

Seems like you're giving up on Mayhem rather quickly.  I can already add two levels to the list without doing any work, because the work has previously be done already.

Mayhem 15 ("The Fast Food Kitchen"):  the same exact solution I presented for its clone, Tricky 10, works unmodified here.

Mayhem 16 ("Just a Minute"):  the solution I presented in the minimal skills thread satisfies the criteria of the challenge

I haven't tried Mayhem 17 ("Stepping Stones") yet but it looks pretty solvable to me if you go the ceiling route.  Similarly, Mayhem 19 ("Time to Get Up") looks likely to me (who needs climbers when you can just build to the obstacle to let bombers reach it?).

On the other hand, I've actually tried Mayhem 3 for the past two days without success, so I've become more doubtful on that one.

Following Proxima's suit, here are a list of Mayhem levels I'm fairly certain are impossible for the challenge:

1 (splat start)
10 (splat start)
13 (too few lemmings available)
20 (I think your miner or your basher will be in danger of falling to the bottom part of the level, and then you won't be able to save them since you can't assign climber on them)
21 (splat start)
27 (you need to use at least one digger, but then you have no way to stop the digger)
28 (too few lemmings available)

Some of the levels not listed above may well be impossible as well, just that there are still one or two possibilities I need to work through to be more certain.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
I've confirmed Mayhem 12, using the glitches mentioned by ClamSpammer here and here to go directly through the steel onto the exit.  I've attached a Lemmix replay but as you know, the steel-digging glitch being used doesn't work currently in Lemmix during replay, so it's only useful insofar as acertaining that I haven't assigned multiple skills to one lemming.  The screenshot together with ClamSpammer's description of the glitches involve should hopefully be enough for anyone to work the details out.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
I'm surprised Mayhem 5 has gone unmentioned so far (unless I missed it) -- it's pretty simple, just the usual solution works.

EDIT: Confirmed Mayhem 17 (ceiling route).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Those Mayhem levels were the only ones I could manage, so I decided to move onto ONML.

Wicked 4 done. Not that hard.
Wicked 6 is solvable with only bombers.
Wicked 7 is obvious, since you're only given blockers and bombers.
Wicked 13 can be done with the builders-only solution.
Wicked 14 is very easy, I don't think a replay is needed. Ask if you /really/ want one.
Wicked 16 is also simple. Ask if you really do think a replay is needed.
Wicked 18 may or may not be possible. I certianly can't be bothered trying.
Wicked 19 can be done with the standard solution.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Havoc 10 is obvious.
Havoc 11 is another one of those "I think it can be done but I can't be bothered trying" ones.

The rest of Havoc is impossible, I think.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
Wicked 18 is possible due to the low required %
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
The rest of Havoc is impossible, I think.

If we judge by your performance on Mayhem, that's a rather presumptious statement to make. ;) :P

Anyway, I'm pretty sure at least Havoc 16 ("Scaling the Heights") is doable, because back on the old old forum I've presented a solution that doesn't use the climber.  You just use all your builders to build up to the exit.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
I should think Taxing 15 is possible. I've run a quick test of this, and there don't seem to be any parts where you have to assign a skill to a lemming that has just been given one.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
That's a good point actually, bashing and building are the only things you need to do (One or two lemmings can be blockers so that a lemming from the pack can build over it).
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3