[NeoLemmix] DéjàLems (32 Levels) [Difficulty: Medium]

Started by WillLem, November 03, 2021, 12:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillLem

Ever had the feeling you've been somewhere before...?

DéjàLems features 32 levels that have already been solved! The goal here is for the lemmings to... solve them again!

Fun 1 - Just... Erm, Never Mind!

Fun 6 - Smile If You Love Deja Vu

Fun 8 - We All Fall Down

Featuring a modded style which allows Digger/Basher/Miner paths, Bomber craters and Builder bridges (not to mention pre-placed forgotten Blockers!) to be inserted into the levels, this pack asks the question: what if more lemmings came through the trap door after the level had already been completed, but with a different set of skills and level stats? Hopefully, you can find the answer! :lemcat:

As with most of my remix packs, the focus here is on exploring the concept, so these levels shouldn't be too difficult for most players. However, there are of course some challenges in here to keep the puzzle-fiends entertained ;P

So go ahead and enjoy playing through the levels that have already been played through the levels that have already been played through the levels that have already been played through the levels that have already been played through the levels that have already been played through... (vous avez eu l'idée!) :lemcat:

What's in the attachment:

:lemming: Level pack
:lemming: Full set of solution replays
:lemming: willlem_special style with custom tiles required for all of the levels
:lemming: Custom menu graphics
:lemming: Custom skill panel graphics
:lemming: Amiga Lemmings music

To install, simply unzip the folder directly to your NeoLemmix directory.

Silken Healer

If this is what I think it is, then it's really clever :lemcat: Can't wait to try it out :thumbsup:

WillLem

Had a report from Silken that the style isn't working. Anyone else having this issue?

I can confirm that the style included with the original download is fully up-to-date.

kaywhyn

Hi WillLem,

Great concept for another remix pack as usual! :thumbsup: This is definitely on my to-play list, though it might not be for a while, but as usual I'll eventually get to it. I liked your Inverse Lemmings for its concept, and I'm liking the description of this remix pack as well ;) It's always nice revisiting the original levels from time to time and putting some kind of twist on it, like with the former rotating every level upside down 180 degrees (which can be simulated by playing with your laptop/machine upside down, if you fancy that instead), or with this pack where a solution path has already been carved out and now you need to find another solution to an already "solved" level.

However, I experience the exact same issue as Silken in that all of the levels are unplayable due to missing styles. In this case, it is saying that the background is missing due to a style called "proxima tile." I even tried your Discord Special zip and that didn't solve it at all. Fortunately, as I said that it'll be a while before I even get to this pack, it's not a big deal for me right now, but it would be nice that the levels are playable for when I eventually do.

Once again, nice concept for this level pack. I always like these creative twists you put to these original levels! :thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

WillLem

Quote from: kaywhyn on November 03, 2021, 03:04:26 AM
all of the levels are unplayable due to missing styles. In this case, it is saying that the background is missing due to a style called "proxima tile."

Ah, OK :forehead:

I thought I'd already fixed this for my copies of the original levels, but clearly not. It is now definitely done, so this should never be an issue in the future.

And of course, the DejaLems download has now been fixed :lemcat:

NOTE TO SELF: Add the Amiga tile to willlem_special, perhaps? Then, use an alias.nxmi to redirect any uses of the background in special to willlem_special for those who, for some reason, may not have the default special style. This may not be necessary, thinking about it.

Apjjm

This is a really clever concept for a pack & I enjoyed playing through the levels here :thumbsup:! It was nice to see the original levels with a new twist on them, and the difficulty throughout was approachable with a good variety of levels and puzzles.

I have attached my replays for the pack and included some level-by-level thoughts below:
Spoiler

Fun 1 - This is quite a funny way to introduce the concept of the pack
Fun 2 - I think this is one pixel off still needing floaters!
Fun 3 - Fun level that seems to have quite a few ways to solve it - I used the laserer
Fun 4 - I probably overcomplicated this one a bit, but did manage a save all solution
Fun 5 - The talisman on this is a very satisfying solution for a fun level :thumbsup:
Fun 6 - The talisman here really does change how I would have otherwise solved this and was a good one to figure out.
Fun 7 - It is a nice detail that you need to make the digger staircase sort-of backwards in this one, as a lot of levels that use this trick have you send climbers up to free a crowd.
Fun 8 - The first of a recurring level in the pack - not too different from the original solution, but much like the original it gets harder...

Tricky 1 - Very much like fun 1
Tricky 2 - I managed to get a save 3 solution here, but I like that you get enough skills to try a save-more solution.
Tricky 3 - I think this level does a great job in showcasing how the new skills open up new solutions to old levels. It is a really nice touch that the pre-placed bridge catches the glider after the shimmier. This is probably my favourite of this rank.
Tricky 4 - The twist that they all spawn in a way so that they will climb up that pillar is a nice idea for this one.
Tricky 5 - I overlooked using the laserer at the end (rather than to get through the staircase) for a little bit at the start of this one.
Tricky 6 - I managed to get the talisman here with 98 saved, working out how to do the start was the tricky part of this puzzle for me.
Tricky 7 - I didn't use the builder pickup skills on this one, so maybe my solution here is a backroute?
Tricky 8 - ...there now isn't enough space to just assign the skills...

Taxing 1 - Working out how to save the builders for the end and also free the crowd was a really nice puzzle on this one!
Taxing 2 - I was able to get the talisman with a 1-of-each skill solution here. I think this is a bit easier than taxing 1, but it is still a good level.
Taxing 3 - This took me a while to work out how to place the skills and not have a lemming walk off one of the edges. My solution doesn't make use of the swimmer pre-assigned skill so maybe isn't quite intended?
Taxing 4 - This was fun to execute and watch back - it also teaches the trick for the next levels!
Taxing 5 - Using the trick from taxing 4 in a puzzle immediately after makes for a nice combo.
Taxing 6 - I did guess from the title there was an exit in the missing 'x' in exit, but did use clear physics to find the exact position of the trigger area.
Taxing 7 - Realsing that you need to place the platformer first, rather than after the pickup skill took me quite a while to spot! This is a nice puzzle!
Taxing 8 - ..there now really isn't much space to work with at all!

Mayhem 1 - Nice puzzle - I like that you need to work out how to keep a lemming behind at the start.
Mayhem 2 - Another nice one - I imagine there is probably a way to save more lemmings than I did on this one!
Mayhem 3 - This is quite an elegant puzzle, but perhaps a little easy compared to some of the other puzzles in mayhem
Mayhem 4 - Probably my favourite level in the pack. This is a great puzzle that makes really good use of the solution terrain and also uses a blocker in a clever way like the original puzzle.
Mayhem 5 - The main puzzle here is around placing the bomber correctly, I initially tried to send all the lemmings underneath on the bridges.
Mayhem 6 - I like that you do very much need to mind the step at the start and jump over the initial hole to turn around.
Mayhem 7 - This is a good open ended puzzle that makes nice use of the terrain - it is still a bit of a challenge even with a seemingly generous 4-of-everything skillset. I really like that the solution encourages use of the shimmier on what was otherwise a decorative part of the terrain.
Mayhem 8 - ...and now they are sliders! Though you do seem to have a fair bit of choice how you solve this one!
My Level Packs: Quartet

WillLem

Following Apjjm's replays and feedback, a new version of this pack is now available!

Here's what's changed:

V1.02 Changelog

:lemming: 2 levels (Fun 2 and Taxing 3) have been fixed for backroutes
:lemming: Mayhem 4 has been updated to feature Apjjm's solution as the intended one (full credit to Apjjm for this solution - featured in the updated Replays folder)

PLUS

:lemming: Several levels have had the screen start positions improved (most notably Tricky 2 and Taxing 5)
:lemming: Amiga_Lemmings_Music is now included in the download[/url]

Click here to download the new version of DéjàLems.

EDIT: Amiga_Lemmings_Music is now included in the download