Author Topic: Van Clan Lemmings resurrection  (Read 19818 times)

Offline Tim

• Skype name: timfoxxy
    • View Profile
Re: Van Clan Lemmings resurrection
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 08:16:48 AM »
OK everyone, just want to give you an update on my levels that I was talking about before.

Apparently I have a large number of Lemmix copies on my computer, and using these copies I tried to open a number of my levels in each one, and was welcomed with errors. I am worried about this, because I am sure that many of my levels were created with LemEdit, but I want to have them fully functional in Lemmix somehow before I make them available to everyone.

I am going to try having a fiddle with the settings to see if I can get it all working again, but in the meantime if anyone is willing to help me sort the problem out, I would be very grateful. Even if you messaged me so we can have a live chat on facebook or skype or whatever, that would work even better. I wouldnt want to hit the fan getting frustrated for no reason! :P

One last thing, what is the recommended file format for levels to be in? I have a whole lot of level copies in all three formats (INI, LVL and DAT, which is the level pack format) and I really have to cut them down.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2013, 04:16:25 AM »
There used to be a download of Lemmix that has everything already setup for you, but it was hosted on a file sharing site that's now defunct, and I'm not sure I still have the zip file (though it's not that hard to re-create).  I think mobius actually got Lemmix set up through that, maybe he still has the zip file.

If the levels load successfully in LemEdit there really should be no reason why they won't work in Lemmix, other than Lemmix not being set up correctly.  What kind of error messages does Lemmix display?

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 08:36:30 AM »
I think error messages about the wrong tileset chosen or something like that. one of the ini files could be corrupted or changed, I dunno.

I will have to work on it when I get home in a few days :)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2013, 10:21:36 PM »
I did use ccexplore's download at some point and managed to keep it through multiple computer crashes.

I am making a zip file to contain working versions of Lemmix and Lemmini, complete with most of the levels available in the archive.
For a number of reasons; one in case the forum goes under unexpectedly, and two, to make it easier for people to get the damn things working properly, which is unnecessarily difficult.
There will be "you-know-what material" in this zip file but I don't understand how Eric has the Lemmix player on his site, which must use the you-know-what and then says he keeps out the you-know-what from Lemmix for obvious reasons ??? ???

@Tim, you might just want to wait until I upload that, It should be ready by tomorrow.  :)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2013, 07:53:21 AM »
Sounds good! I was going to work a little bit on it tonight but if those files arent ready, there may not be much point. I want to eventually have only one copy of my levels and the programs on my computer so that I dont need to keep searching for the right stuff!

Dont think i can do anything else tonight on it lol

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
I have been in contact with EricLang, and he was a big help in getting access to my levels again! I can most likely get to every single level I have made, so I will be able to get them all out!

I must ask though, should they be only in seperate LVL format, or do I need to have DAT level packs as well? How should I do this?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2013, 09:30:12 PM »
I have been in contact with EricLang, and he was a big help in getting access to my levels again! I can most likely get to every single level I have made, so I will be able to get them all out!

I must ask though, should they be only in seperate LVL format, or do I need to have DAT level packs as well? How should I do this?

how should you do this for what? what exactly are you trying to do? I have easy access to all your levels, I can look at each individual one.  If you're doing this for the second community pack, you don't have to do anything really.  :) But if you'd like to you can put them all in lvl and ini format and make sure the level files are named with their titles as the filename.

My thing isn't ready yet. I'll try to get it together soon.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 07:50:31 AM »
I have found the way to extract my levels to LVL format, as well as INI format. However, I dont see how INI is really needed as it seems most people show/post their levels in LVL format anyway. DAT level packs also seem unnecessary as long as when someone posts a pack of levels, they use a zip file for it.

Basically I think I will just convert all levels I have to LVL format, put them in their own folder, then upload for everyone to grab. Seems to be the best way :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 08:45:42 AM »
LVL to INI conversion is tidier than the other way around, as well as more compatible (almost every Lemmings-related tool supports LVL (or LVLs compressed in DATs), whereas it's pretty much only Lemmini and a few editors that support INI.

Despite its shortcomings, due to the high compatibility I would say LVL or DAT is the best format to use. Unless you're specifically making the levels for Lemmini only, or need the higher precision that INI can achieve, that is.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 09:01:52 AM »
Fortunately most of my levels were made using lemedit, so i am converting from DAT files to LVL format (all CustLemm style) and leaving the INI files alone. In face, i will delete them when the others are extracted. The only levels I have made for Lemmini use are my custom tilesets (Forest, Mario), which will be in a seperate location for obvious reasons.

This shouldnt take a long time :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2013, 09:16:11 AM »
Send me the DATs, I'll write a quick snippet of code to batch-convert them for you. =)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)