Author Topic: Van Clan Lemmings resurrection  (Read 19874 times)

Offline Tim

• Skype name: timfoxxy
    • View Profile
Van Clan Lemmings resurrection
« on: May 31, 2009, 01:42:55 AM »
As with the switch of these forums to the new address, I decided to bring back this topic for a few specific reasons. First, I want to pull all the levels out of the TWO confusing 100-level packs they are currently found in, regardless of whether some of them have been marked as bad levels.

Secondly, I want them to be compatible with Lemmix Level Packs, as CustLemm is hard to access for some people now. If I get the levels into 10-level packs for Lemmix, then I will have alot of uploading to do for more than 10 level packs...

Third, when I get the levels out and into the new level packs, I will divide them up between Original and OhNo level packs to make it easier for everyone to review the levels. At the start, I combined the grahpics of both games into the one complete pack using the OhNo More lemmings game files. This proved to be very confusing for people who tried to play the levels, and I want to make things right this time.

You may review levels here if you wish, or any other place suitable for reviewing custom levels.

I shall give updates to this later on  :)

Offline Tim

• View Profile
Re: Van Clan Lemmings resurrection
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:01:14 PM »
Okay, most of the levels are extracted from the two big levelpacks, but there are some levels that are apparently from different types of "viewer styles". Unfortunately Lemmix wont let me change the graphics set in Level Properties, and if i change the viewing style in the same section, it will ask me for the required files (eg. ground0O.dat, vgagr0.dat, or sometimes a file from Lemmini graphics).

I dont know what to do here. If there is a way to configure the graphics so that the levels will work for everyone, then I'm all ears. Otherwise, I wont be able to get those levels out correctly (they will have a different graphics set that is unchangeable).

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:37:06 PM »
Fix them in LemEdit.  It works.  I did that with the level pack epic01 when I changed how I did the OhNo sets so I could play other people's levels.

Other than that, I did everything else in Lemmix.

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 12:39:46 AM »
U know, I think I just figured it out in a different way. The levels were saved in Lemmini .ini format. So all I had to do was open up each file and change the graphics set name in it (eg. Dirt, Brick, Crystal, etc) to the proper one associated with the level, as previously when you opened the level in Lemmix there was a different graphics set. It should be fixed now. Hopefully. When you all get to look at the levels you will figure it out too :P

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 12:41:51 AM »
Lemmini works as an editor/tester?

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 12:45:22 AM »
I have the files from Lemmings for Windows 95 given by another lemmings fan, which are required for Lemmini play. At this stage I cant test the levels in Lemmix with the .ini extension, instead I use Lemmini for playing them. Lemmini is a player only, Lemmix is still my editor.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 12:46:43 AM »
Ah.  I'm going to need something for a player that I can use in Linux, I suppose, since Lemmix edits fine, from the looks of things.

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 01:43:42 AM »
Ive managed to get the original Lemmini files along with the latest version of Lemmix into the one main folder (ive left out my tilesets and levels), and put it into a .zip file. Now the problem is I dont where I should put it so you can download it...

Any ideas?

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 11:00:48 AM »
Okay everyone, good news!

ALL of my levels have now been extracted from those confusing large level packs they were previously in, and they are now in seperate level packs of 10 each, compatible with Lemmix and CustLemm hoepfully. I have uploaded them all to the Lemmings File Archive under the names of Timpack1, Timpack2 and so on up to Timpack11. Also the Oh No levels are labelled TimpackA through to TimpackF.

There are some things you need to know about my levels though.
1. There are some which are likely to be impossible to complete. This will be because I didnt complete the level during testing and thought it would work anyway.

2. Many levels are builder-heavy and/or hero levels. The reason is my friend and I had no idea how builder levels work in the game, that alot of other lemmings fans dont really prefer builder or hero levels. It was our first go at making levels.

3. The majority of my levels are highly likely to be either lame or boring. You will probably find that under 30% of the levels will be decent enough to qualify as a 'good level'.

On that note, all feedback on my levels is highly welcome and encouraged, whether it be bad or good. Dont worry if you are giving out feedback on certain levels that are completely crap, I need to know. Even if they were made by my friend, dont hold back.

Enjoy!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 11:08:14 PM »
If any qualify as good enough, can I use them in the Epic Lemmings Fangame?  After all, it wouldn't be half as epic without community contributions.  ;)

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 12:45:01 AM »
Absolutely! Ive always wanted to have something ive created be a part of something bigger, in this case the Epic Fangame :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 05:22:10 AM »
Just a question, would you mind if I add decorative terrain to the versions in the fangame?  Asking you first, but I haven't gone through and checked yet due to the fact that I want to do a play-through of the original lemmings, Oh No!, and maybe L2 in TGA, and Lemmix play tests don't work.  Some people have recommended using Lemmini for play tests, but I could not figure out how to install it. :P

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 06:50:30 AM »
Im uploading Lemmini (with the latest version of Lemmix) to this location:
http://camanis.net/lemmings/lemmingswelt/

When you extract it to your computer, run the Lemmini program. It will ask you to select a destination folder and origin folder for where the Lemmini files will be going. All you need to do is choose the SAME folder for both locations where you have just extracted the folder to (example: C:\Documents and Settings\Dullstar\Documents\Lemmings\Lemmini).

Even though all the necessary files are inside this folder, it will ask for these two extraction locations anyway.

If you are still stuck, let me know.

EDIT: Ok that file portal is not working anymore. I dont know where to upload it :(

Offline europasat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 05:16:09 PM »
Can someone upload the vanclan level pack of 100 levels?.As I can't find it anywhere.

Keep up the good work guys.I was addicted to lemmings when I was 12.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 10:46:38 PM »
Welcome in! You picked a great time to show up; our file hosting has just gone kaput :sick:. I do have a folder called "Van Clan Lemmings", but I'm not 100% sure it's the right one. It does have the right number of levels though, so that's a good sign.

I've attached the .zip to this post.