Author Topic: Van Clan Lemmings resurrection  (Read 19934 times)

Offline Tim

• Skype name: timfoxxy
    • View Profile
Van Clan Lemmings resurrection
« on: May 31, 2009, 01:42:55 AM »
As with the switch of these forums to the new address, I decided to bring back this topic for a few specific reasons. First, I want to pull all the levels out of the TWO confusing 100-level packs they are currently found in, regardless of whether some of them have been marked as bad levels.

Secondly, I want them to be compatible with Lemmix Level Packs, as CustLemm is hard to access for some people now. If I get the levels into 10-level packs for Lemmix, then I will have alot of uploading to do for more than 10 level packs...

Third, when I get the levels out and into the new level packs, I will divide them up between Original and OhNo level packs to make it easier for everyone to review the levels. At the start, I combined the grahpics of both games into the one complete pack using the OhNo More lemmings game files. This proved to be very confusing for people who tried to play the levels, and I want to make things right this time.

You may review levels here if you wish, or any other place suitable for reviewing custom levels.

I shall give updates to this later on  :)

Offline Tim

• View Profile
Re: Van Clan Lemmings resurrection
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:01:14 PM »
Okay, most of the levels are extracted from the two big levelpacks, but there are some levels that are apparently from different types of "viewer styles". Unfortunately Lemmix wont let me change the graphics set in Level Properties, and if i change the viewing style in the same section, it will ask me for the required files (eg. ground0O.dat, vgagr0.dat, or sometimes a file from Lemmini graphics).

I dont know what to do here. If there is a way to configure the graphics so that the levels will work for everyone, then I'm all ears. Otherwise, I wont be able to get those levels out correctly (they will have a different graphics set that is unchangeable).

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:37:06 PM »
Fix them in LemEdit.  It works.  I did that with the level pack epic01 when I changed how I did the OhNo sets so I could play other people's levels.

Other than that, I did everything else in Lemmix.

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 12:39:46 AM »
U know, I think I just figured it out in a different way. The levels were saved in Lemmini .ini format. So all I had to do was open up each file and change the graphics set name in it (eg. Dirt, Brick, Crystal, etc) to the proper one associated with the level, as previously when you opened the level in Lemmix there was a different graphics set. It should be fixed now. Hopefully. When you all get to look at the levels you will figure it out too :P

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 12:41:51 AM »
Lemmini works as an editor/tester?

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 12:45:22 AM »
I have the files from Lemmings for Windows 95 given by another lemmings fan, which are required for Lemmini play. At this stage I cant test the levels in Lemmix with the .ini extension, instead I use Lemmini for playing them. Lemmini is a player only, Lemmix is still my editor.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 12:46:43 AM »
Ah.  I'm going to need something for a player that I can use in Linux, I suppose, since Lemmix edits fine, from the looks of things.

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 01:43:42 AM »
Ive managed to get the original Lemmini files along with the latest version of Lemmix into the one main folder (ive left out my tilesets and levels), and put it into a .zip file. Now the problem is I dont where I should put it so you can download it...

Any ideas?

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 11:00:48 AM »
Okay everyone, good news!

ALL of my levels have now been extracted from those confusing large level packs they were previously in, and they are now in seperate level packs of 10 each, compatible with Lemmix and CustLemm hoepfully. I have uploaded them all to the Lemmings File Archive under the names of Timpack1, Timpack2 and so on up to Timpack11. Also the Oh No levels are labelled TimpackA through to TimpackF.

There are some things you need to know about my levels though.
1. There are some which are likely to be impossible to complete. This will be because I didnt complete the level during testing and thought it would work anyway.

2. Many levels are builder-heavy and/or hero levels. The reason is my friend and I had no idea how builder levels work in the game, that alot of other lemmings fans dont really prefer builder or hero levels. It was our first go at making levels.

3. The majority of my levels are highly likely to be either lame or boring. You will probably find that under 30% of the levels will be decent enough to qualify as a 'good level'.

On that note, all feedback on my levels is highly welcome and encouraged, whether it be bad or good. Dont worry if you are giving out feedback on certain levels that are completely crap, I need to know. Even if they were made by my friend, dont hold back.

Enjoy!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 11:08:14 PM »
If any qualify as good enough, can I use them in the Epic Lemmings Fangame?  After all, it wouldn't be half as epic without community contributions.  ;)

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 12:45:01 AM »
Absolutely! Ive always wanted to have something ive created be a part of something bigger, in this case the Epic Fangame :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 05:22:10 AM »
Just a question, would you mind if I add decorative terrain to the versions in the fangame?  Asking you first, but I haven't gone through and checked yet due to the fact that I want to do a play-through of the original lemmings, Oh No!, and maybe L2 in TGA, and Lemmix play tests don't work.  Some people have recommended using Lemmini for play tests, but I could not figure out how to install it. :P

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 06:50:30 AM »
Im uploading Lemmini (with the latest version of Lemmix) to this location:
http://camanis.net/lemmings/lemmingswelt/

When you extract it to your computer, run the Lemmini program. It will ask you to select a destination folder and origin folder for where the Lemmini files will be going. All you need to do is choose the SAME folder for both locations where you have just extracted the folder to (example: C:\Documents and Settings\Dullstar\Documents\Lemmings\Lemmini).

Even though all the necessary files are inside this folder, it will ask for these two extraction locations anyway.

If you are still stuck, let me know.

EDIT: Ok that file portal is not working anymore. I dont know where to upload it :(

Offline europasat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 05:16:09 PM »
Can someone upload the vanclan level pack of 100 levels?.As I can't find it anywhere.

Keep up the good work guys.I was addicted to lemmings when I was 12.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 10:46:38 PM »
Welcome in! You picked a great time to show up; our file hosting has just gone kaput :sick:. I do have a folder called "Van Clan Lemmings", but I'm not 100% sure it's the right one. It does have the right number of levels though, so that's a good sign.

I've attached the .zip to this post.

Offline europasat

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 07:04:55 PM »
thanks all the same .but this file is not compatible with lemmini I think.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 04:04:21 AM »
I don't have the Lemmini version sadly (if someone could post it, that'd be great), but it is possible to convert .DAT files to .LVL format, which is compatible with Lemmini. I don't know if there's a quick way to do this though.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »
I don't have the Lemmini version sadly (if someone could post it, that'd be great)

http://www.lemmini.de/lemmini.jnlp - Thats where you get lemmini. Save the lemmini link to your computer so you don't have to keep going online.

http://www.lemmingsheaven.info/lemmings_dos.zip - This is the file you should set as your source path when it asks.

The target path is where you want lemmini to put it's files. (I put mine in the lemmix folder)

Hope that helps.  :thumbsup:

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 06:47:18 AM »
Sorry if I wasn't clear :(. I do have Lemmini, but I don't have the Lemmini version of the Van Clan Lemmings pack, which was hosted on the camanis site (or at least I think it was).

The other thing you could try is to contact Tim directly. He hasn't been online for a while, but you can email him through the forums.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 10:36:51 AM »
There was a link to the lemmini version on lemmingsheaven but unfortunately it was on geocities which has gone down.  :( The thread it was posted on is here: http://lemmingsheaven.info/forum/index.php?topic=81.0

Offline europasat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 12:32:37 PM »
Yes unfortunately it is gone

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 05:53:07 AM »
You can still get to everything on the file portal; it's just more difficult -- http://www6.camanis.net.ipv4.sixxs.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »
Yes I realise this is a very old topic, but I couldnt help but notice that people were trying to find my old levels, because I havent been on the forum for a very long time. It also seems some may have tried to contact me but my details were outdated and incorrect. I have updated all of my info so that contacting me is easy again.

My old levels still exist, I have them all on my computer in some form, and probably on a storage site somewhere that I have forgotten about. If anyone is still interested in my levels for something, just let me know. I wouldnt have a clue how they can be retrieved from the packs that I had created so that they can be used, but I am sure there is a way!

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 02:47:02 PM »
Hi Tim

There's a really good website with a lot of dos games on it which includes your  level pack with the 100 levels Tim Foxy.  Also Martin Zurlinden.

Out of all the custom levels I have to say that your one and Martins one have to be in my top five list (welldone) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://www.chiptape.com/chiptape/games.htm

I enjoyed your level pack when I played it a while back, the hero levels were in some cases my favorite ones as I liked the fangorn forest I think it was called (good level)  How To Cook Lemmings was a nightmare level which took me a while to complete espicially trying to dodge the fires arrrgggg.   

:thumbsup:

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 02:57:48 PM »
Wow! I did not know that there was a site with a way to play my levels! That is just too cool :P

I was not sure if my levels were at all accessible anymore. I loved making them, but creating levels that were difficult to complete instead of fun artistic ones did not seem to be part of my nature.

Did I only make 100 levels? I cant remember how many I created before I stopped making them, but it is great to know that the pack you played was playable!

My youtube account (http://www.youtube.com/user/timfoxxy) has a few themed levels with walkthrough that I did for fun, but making the tilesets was very hard as I remember lol. And you can listen to the soundtrack of a lemmings CD that I still have here :P

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 10:06:51 AM »
I almost forgot to ask, does anyone know the best way I should try and retrieve my levels so i can edit them and easily organize my level packs? I remember last time I attempted this, the packs and levels I was working on were all screwed up in some way lol.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
Hi Tim

Something I noticed was there was a custom lemmings game and I'm sure it had some of your levels on it such as the graveyard, I think that was your one.

Only thing I can really think of is to edit some of your levels is going on to lemmings level database website.

http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/list?mark=20090911164629&mark_key=ag1zfmxlbW1pbmdzLWRicg8LEglMZXZlbFBhY2sYJQw

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 09:18:51 AM »
Yes that was my pack. I am sure that I made more levels after those ones, but I am worried that the extra levels I made are located in unusual files and level packs. I havent used the level editors for a while now either, so I dont know what I should do :P

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »
Hey Tim

I just remembered that I think it was your level pack I requested roundthewheel to play as well as martin Zurlindens I think could be wrong. (It was a while back anyway)

It's fun watching him play through the levels and talk about each one.

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »
Hey Tim

I just remembered that I think it was your level pack I requested roundthewheel to play as well as martin Zurlindens I think could be wrong. (It was a while back anyway)

It's fun watching him play through the levels and talk about each one.

I have only skimmed through his video list, but I cant see any sign of any of my levels (I could have missed them tho). It would be great if he could do them though lol

I know that my levels are not hard, just designed to look attractive :P

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 08:16:48 AM »
OK everyone, just want to give you an update on my levels that I was talking about before.

Apparently I have a large number of Lemmix copies on my computer, and using these copies I tried to open a number of my levels in each one, and was welcomed with errors. I am worried about this, because I am sure that many of my levels were created with LemEdit, but I want to have them fully functional in Lemmix somehow before I make them available to everyone.

I am going to try having a fiddle with the settings to see if I can get it all working again, but in the meantime if anyone is willing to help me sort the problem out, I would be very grateful. Even if you messaged me so we can have a live chat on facebook or skype or whatever, that would work even better. I wouldnt want to hit the fan getting frustrated for no reason! :P

One last thing, what is the recommended file format for levels to be in? I have a whole lot of level copies in all three formats (INI, LVL and DAT, which is the level pack format) and I really have to cut them down.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2013, 04:16:25 AM »
There used to be a download of Lemmix that has everything already setup for you, but it was hosted on a file sharing site that's now defunct, and I'm not sure I still have the zip file (though it's not that hard to re-create).  I think mobius actually got Lemmix set up through that, maybe he still has the zip file.

If the levels load successfully in LemEdit there really should be no reason why they won't work in Lemmix, other than Lemmix not being set up correctly.  What kind of error messages does Lemmix display?

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 08:36:30 AM »
I think error messages about the wrong tileset chosen or something like that. one of the ini files could be corrupted or changed, I dunno.

I will have to work on it when I get home in a few days :)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2013, 10:21:36 PM »
I did use ccexplore's download at some point and managed to keep it through multiple computer crashes.

I am making a zip file to contain working versions of Lemmix and Lemmini, complete with most of the levels available in the archive.
For a number of reasons; one in case the forum goes under unexpectedly, and two, to make it easier for people to get the damn things working properly, which is unnecessarily difficult.
There will be "you-know-what material" in this zip file but I don't understand how Eric has the Lemmix player on his site, which must use the you-know-what and then says he keeps out the you-know-what from Lemmix for obvious reasons ??? ???

@Tim, you might just want to wait until I upload that, It should be ready by tomorrow.  :)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2013, 07:53:21 AM »
Sounds good! I was going to work a little bit on it tonight but if those files arent ready, there may not be much point. I want to eventually have only one copy of my levels and the programs on my computer so that I dont need to keep searching for the right stuff!

Dont think i can do anything else tonight on it lol

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
I have been in contact with EricLang, and he was a big help in getting access to my levels again! I can most likely get to every single level I have made, so I will be able to get them all out!

I must ask though, should they be only in seperate LVL format, or do I need to have DAT level packs as well? How should I do this?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2013, 09:30:12 PM »
I have been in contact with EricLang, and he was a big help in getting access to my levels again! I can most likely get to every single level I have made, so I will be able to get them all out!

I must ask though, should they be only in seperate LVL format, or do I need to have DAT level packs as well? How should I do this?

how should you do this for what? what exactly are you trying to do? I have easy access to all your levels, I can look at each individual one.  If you're doing this for the second community pack, you don't have to do anything really.  :) But if you'd like to you can put them all in lvl and ini format and make sure the level files are named with their titles as the filename.

My thing isn't ready yet. I'll try to get it together soon.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 07:50:31 AM »
I have found the way to extract my levels to LVL format, as well as INI format. However, I dont see how INI is really needed as it seems most people show/post their levels in LVL format anyway. DAT level packs also seem unnecessary as long as when someone posts a pack of levels, they use a zip file for it.

Basically I think I will just convert all levels I have to LVL format, put them in their own folder, then upload for everyone to grab. Seems to be the best way :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 08:45:42 AM »
LVL to INI conversion is tidier than the other way around, as well as more compatible (almost every Lemmings-related tool supports LVL (or LVLs compressed in DATs), whereas it's pretty much only Lemmini and a few editors that support INI.

Despite its shortcomings, due to the high compatibility I would say LVL or DAT is the best format to use. Unless you're specifically making the levels for Lemmini only, or need the higher precision that INI can achieve, that is.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 09:01:52 AM »
Fortunately most of my levels were made using lemedit, so i am converting from DAT files to LVL format (all CustLemm style) and leaving the INI files alone. In face, i will delete them when the others are extracted. The only levels I have made for Lemmini use are my custom tilesets (Forest, Mario), which will be in a seperate location for obvious reasons.

This shouldnt take a long time :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2013, 09:16:11 AM »
Send me the DATs, I'll write a quick snippet of code to batch-convert them for you. =)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)