Author Topic: Lemmix Level Reviews  (Read 45161 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmix Level Reviews
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 04:29:21 AM »
I just completely overhauled and re-uploaded Yawg01, and your feedback was invaluable in the undertaking, Clam Spammer.

Wait, you didn't let me finish :XD:

Level 10 has a huge backroute. I see you've tried to fix it, but... well, it's still there.  ;) Admittedly, it's much harder to do, but still not too difficult.

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 05:20:20 AM »
yeesh, thats what I get for quick-fixing old levels...could I get a replay?  ;P
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 05:43:25 AM »
I just found an even easier way... PM sent.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 07:45:50 AM »
Have you ever been able to get the replays to work?  They displayed the problems with Lemmings in the Plumbing (original version) so I don't know if the problems have been fixed or not.  If you haven't gotten them to work yet, I'll describe problems by PM. (uploading my Lemmix folder somewhere would be a last resort).

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 07:59:23 PM »
Have you ever been able to get the replays to work?  They displayed the problems with Lemmings in the Plumbing (original version) so I don't know if the problems have been fixed or not.  If you haven't gotten them to work yet, I'll describe problems by PM. (uploading my Lemmix folder somewhere would be a last resort).

Yeah, I got them working finally. However, I decided the intended solution for the level in question wasn't worth the effort it would take to save it, so I modified the skills to implement one of the sneakier back routes as a solution.

And now for some reviews  8)

I thought I'd start by finishing the review of ClamSpam05;

4. Lem Squared
Pros: Solution is clever, and makes use of several interesting strategies. A very good puzzle.
Cons: Visually it's pretty boring. I realize this was deliberate, what with the name, but perhaps you could have strayed from the theme on the outskirts of the puzzle, just to add some flavor.

5. Play Bridge
Pros: Nice symmetrical design. Spare, but not too much so.
Cons: This level seems to throw the difficulty curve of the pack off a bit. After the last two puzzles, it was a bit of a let down challenge-wise.

6. The Endless Steps
Pros: Love the design. Some very creative use of graphics here, and it really makes the level.
Cons: I'm not a huge fan of bomber puzzles (mostly because I suck at the timing  :XD:), so I'm a bit biased against this one, but this really fell into the category of levels where I can easily see the solution but can't muster the patience to actually implement it. A few more blockers would have been nice  :D

7. Altitude Training
Pros: Solid design, visually pleasing, and a relatively exclusive solution. The lack of bashers made this one a lot less straight forward.
Cons: I really don't have any valid complaints about this level. Its just plain good.

8. Web 3.0
Pros: The whole "3" theme really works well, and forces the player to come up with a creative solution (especially the 3 builders). Plus the stacked webs just look cool.
Cons: While I like the webs, I find the overall design somewhat bland. Like Lem Squared, I think this level could use some sprucing up, even if its outside the work area.

9. Circus Lemmings in Training
Pros: Nice theme, clever use of graphics. The solution is far from obvious, and requires a decent amount of refinement to get it working. Solid puzzle.
Cons: Bit Spare, could use some more eye candy, if only because the work area is so linear.

10. Guns Blazing
Pros: Good composition, visually pleasing, and a challenging and engaging solution. Overall this is a great level.
Cons: Steel is a bit overused. I see little danger of back routes with the only digging tools being bashers and a few bombers. Also, this level was almost challenging enough to merit (in my opinion) going all the way and eliminating the excess skills.
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 07:58:39 AM »
Yawg, could you redo the review of ClamSpam05's level three?  I couldn't figure it out...

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
Yawg, could you redo the review of ClamSpam05's level three?  I couldn't figure it out...

I had skipped over that one...thanks for giving me a reason to go back and figure it out  :)

3. Works on So Many Levels...
Pros: Simple design and structure that nevertheless does a good job concealing the solutions. It's one of those puzzles that looks simple at first, and then stumps you for awhile.
Cons: I don't think I've ever had to use the strategy I did to solve this one, so I'm not sure whether it actually "works on so many levels" or not...While it was an interesting way to overcome the obstacles, I found the method I used (which I'm assuming was the intended one) to be pretty messy. This really comes down to my personal preference for more precise solutions though.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2009, 09:46:28 AM »
I don't think I've ever had to use the strategy I did to solve this one, so I'm not sure whether it actually "works on so many levels" or not...

Ohh... I see what you mean. No, I don't suppose that sort of solution is going to work on many different levels. I was referring more to the shape of terrain, which is arranged into distinct "levels". (And I might also be referring to a certain level designer who does a fair bit of work on Lemmings levels ;))

In response to your other reviews:

4 and 8 - I probably did overdo the graphics here. I'm a fan of experimental designs though (eg. "Training Zone Alpha" from my 4th pack).
5 - The lack of difficulty isn't really worthy of criticism in itself. You have to have some easy levels in a puzzle game, after all. In hindsight, it's probably misplaced in terms of ascending difficulty order.
6 - Yes, it's bomber timing. Learn to live with it. It's not like a simgle mis-timed bomber is going to force a replay anyway - there's plenty more bombers to cover your mistakes.
9 - The central area could use a bit of decoration, I agree.
10 - I could use the smaller steel pieces to reduce the apparent amount while maintaining its functionality. For the most part, though, it needs to be there in some form.

Don't forget, I made up "challenges" for these levels too. I listed these in this post, when I uploaded the pack.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2009, 09:38:44 PM »
Could someone upload a replay of ClamSpam05's level three?

It would be quite helpful.

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 10:15:51 PM »
This is one way of doing it. I'm not keen to try it without using diggers... :XD:

EDIT: as soon as I typed that, I knew I was going to try...so heres the solution sans diggers as well.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2009, 12:04:21 PM »
Sorry to interrupt but can anyone review any of MY levels please?  :'( I know I'm not allowed to review any of my own levels. My level packs are located between 3 and 4 and the files are named lm_set01 to lm_set15. I would like to see at least one or two of the levels in my level packs so that I understand what I can do to improve the levels I created last year.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 02:21:19 AM »
Id be happy to give you some feedback, especially if you're willing to give me some in return (Yawg01-04). I probably won't have time today, but I might be able to take a look tomorrow  :)

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 09:00:51 PM »
I took a look at Im_set01 and here are my thoughts.

Builderless work and More Builderless work are both solid puzzles but the first is the stronger of the two because its layout does a better job disguising the intended solution than the first. More Builderless work didn't take long to figure out at all, though Builderless work made me think a bit, and it was purely a layout issue. They're both solid puzzles.

The last two levels in the pack were pretty badly back routed; the 9th because of a steel glitch and the 10th because of an overabundance of builders. My other complaint about Where do I dig next? was the unnecessary floaters. They may have been required for the intended solution but my back route didn't use them, and it was just a pain to hand em out  :P

Lemtris was probably my favorite puzzle in the pack, partially because I enjoy tetris of course... :D

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009, 08:29:41 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts Yawg, but I need to know what you mean by "the steel glitch" because all my levels don't use glitches at all.

Speaking of backroutes, I think the third level of my second set has a bad bad backroute :scared: so I need to change the level quickly!
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009, 08:50:21 AM »
I've finally changed the level (Entirely) to make "The Squeeze Machine". Shouldn't be any backroutes here. :P